View Single Post
      08-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjury View Post
Thanks so much for the review on your first hand experience! Was the install difficult? I know I have to hook up my computer, hoping it works on a mac or i may have to borrow something. Last question, any ill effects on the truck sense it has been tuned? I am guessing this increases the hp a descent amount and I am not naive to the fact that these engines are ticking time bombs in stock form.
Install was super easy, they send you a cable (not sure if it works on Mac, email them before purchase to make sure) and a USB be with software. You MUST hook up a battery charger that outputs at least 10amps as the next step requires about an hour to do the initial backup (turn on your running lights so the car computer doesn't go into sleep mode just to be sure). After the backup, you email them this file. Within about 24 hours they will email you back the tune you requested customized to your x5.

Hook back up your PC and load the new tune (only takes about 5 to 10min to load the tune, it's just the initial backup that takes forever). Even though loading it up is fast, I recommend always using a battery charger when loading anything to your DME, low voltage during the write process can ruin it so best insurance policy there is.

You can load back the original factory tune anytime you want or change to between stage 1 and stage 2.

As for how it changes the feel, it is like having a different engine, hard to explain, so much more responsive and the when you go past half throttle it just keeps pouring on the power. They claim 100+hp increase and I believe it. Stock 0-60 was around 6.7 seconds when I bought the truck with nearly 100k on it. After fixing transmission issues and carbon cleanup on the valves, it was 5.6 seconds which is what a new 50i did. After tune it dropped it to 4.4 seconds (4.2 with 1foot rollout) on my draggy. I do have downpipes too. But the 5.6 to 4.4 times only change was the tune. With a custom intake I am building, the exhaust cutouts I just added, Aplina Intercoolers I installed, and stage 2 tune I will load when it cools down plus XHP tune for transmission (when it comes out), I am hopeful for a 3.5 second 0-60 and high 11's, maybe mid. Will add jb4 and meth stacked on tune if needed.

I noticed the boost increased from stock which varied from 10 to 13 psi depending on temp to 15 to 18psi depending on temp along with timing and can advance and fuel mapping changes.

Be ready to order new plugs and coils though, I'd yours are weak then you will get misfire codes. I replaced mine before loading the new tune and have had zero issues.

If you have more then 60k on your plugs/coils then just do I now before you load the tune and save yourself the headache. Use Eldor coils from ECS tuning and Bosch 8165 plugs which are the latest design for the S63/n63 engines.
Appreciate 0