07-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Well, it is and it isn't. It is the same basic short block but with a completely different top end. I imagine BMW also beefed up bearings and things, although my '02 4.4 engine has happily handled 400HP for 50,000 km without a hiccup, so the engine was obviously pretty sturdy to start with.
Well, basically what I meant is that overall it is not the same engine. Pretty much any car manufacturer out there re-uses parts from a previous generation engine to keep development and manufacturing costs down as much as possible.

I guess what I meant to say (and didn't write) is that you can't really compare figures from other models to this car/engine since it basically is not the same engine.

I'm glad to hear that your engine has been running at 400HP for quite some time without any issues. Just goes to show the quality of the engines BMW builds
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0