Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Y

What suspension did you go with?

Is your trans tuned btw? I can't remember if I've asked you before

I can imagine the x5d doesn't like the LP spooling while towing but I'm wondering if it's your trans tuning. Which in my experience stock tuning translated to a sloppy shift while under load. What mode do you drive in while towing? D, DS, M mode?

If you do go with rebuilt trans with upgraded converter and tune you'll likely get better results. I'm sure your trans is tired!
I'm basically going to replace every single component with new lemforder stuff. Arms, every bushings and ball joint, etc. It'll drive like a new car, hopefully. Love how these e70's look lowered, but I actually use every bit of my clearance sometimes, so I'm not going to be lowering it.
Mine is like, 80% of the time totally fine with spooling the LP while towing, but she hazes a bit from the extreme load. Trans isn't thrilled, but depending on the situation it's totally fine with it.

I'm tuned with sutphin's. I usually end up doing manual mode around city/town/ state roads, and if I'm using cruise control not he highway I'll put it in 6th. It'll hold 6th and roll into the boost in cruise, but it eagerly downshifts when in D sometimes. So on the highway for long distance I let it do load up gears on cruise control and if it starts losing steam it'll downshift. Around town I prefer M mode just to short shift it a bit, but if I leave it in D is really does do a fine job. When I towed for 2400 miles straight it definitely learned from it, and towed really nicely in D by the end of that trip.

If I go for a rebuilt trans I'm so tempted to do the whole package. Rebuild with upgraded clutches, sutphin's valve body, the converter, and I'll have a future proof transmission for the rest of my time with it. Realistically, if I ever get a new truck, I'll still have this and it'll become my girlfriend's daily driver. I'll still have the ability to use it to tow when needed if the bigger rig isn't necessary, and it makes a heck of a long haul vehicle. Especially after the future diff swap, it'll be a 32+ mpg long hauler with family capability.