06-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #4
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaggan View Post
hardware will no doubt have it's own dependencies on wiring version especially when there are many months of revisions within even a specific model, like 08 4.8i vs 3.0i.in that case, the 4.8i being a 'premium' version has both dependencies and dependents outside the speaker wiring, so its base harnesses are built with the minimum wiring needed for its 'base' audio system. Many wires are 'already available ' in the 4.8i even without a dsp upgrade. So, a top hifi harness from the 3.0i may have a different harness layout with an identical pinout at connectors. Confusing, but that's the situation.

Hardware isnt identical but close enough to work without touching your factory wires (of course no tweets/subs etc)
Wiring is another story.
I've done a few upgrades to the base and dsp systems and dealt with years and models having specific issues to their own layouts.
Also, there are many (many) wiring differences between early e70 and late e71. Even going from say 2/07 to 2/09 with e70, there are so many changes it's a bit annoying. There are a LOT of wires that will need to be cut and lengthened to get from the left A pillar to the right A pillar swapping from LHD to RHD, including resistance sensitive twisted pairs. Also numerous grounds swap sides which may be an issue at the front or rear power distribution boxes.
The dsp and active sound system systems also are dependent on driver sitting position, bit changing that may be as simple as coding the VO with top hifi and dsp in RHD variant.
May be easier to leave your existing wiring in place and simply strip the extra wires from the donor, like tweeter and subwoofer portions....and graft into yours.
Or if I was thinking of using the same donor parts, I would simply swap hardware, code, see what works and what doesn't work and fix, then only after its working add the tweeters, subs, d pillars, etc.
Thanks for the input.
I'm certain it's not going to be easy but hoping I can do it

I considered keeping my loom and adding to it but because I have a base that doesn't have an amp at all the wiring is completely different so almost nothing worth saving. The 4 channels from the back of the head unit go direct to the speakers in my case.

I'll get started after I move house next month and update here then.
Appreciate 0