View Single Post
      05-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #186
ddinse
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328d x drive

I replaced the front hubs/bearings on my 2011 X5d this weekend. (136K miles) This went smoothly but while I was there, I noticed a leak has developed at one end of my steering rack. I was researching the service procedure for replacing the rack and pinion and could feel an ulcer coming on. Apparently it is wedged between the engine and the engine/axel support cradle. Removal involves supporting the engine from above, unbolting the motor mounts, lower control arms, and transmission cooler, suspending the upper control arm then unbolting the steering column before lowering the cradle enough to slide out the rack and pinion. Thought about this, and considered the hours this would take me or dollars it would cost me and instead went to Advanced Auto and bought a $10 bottle of power steering leak stopper. I found the reservoir was still near the full mark, sucked some fluid out with my brake bleeder bottle and added the bottle of leak stop. I will try to update everyone on the status of the leak in a few days. This may be a futile effort but had little to lose. Curious if any one else has had power steering issues....
Appreciate 0