-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
Update....

Been driving the X-5 being easy with it till the 1st oil change. Its been a week and 3 days since i picked it up and i've put 1140 miles on it. No issue till today. Driving into town this morning(10miles) got warning that vehicle was discharging. Didn't get much farther and got warning of ABS issue. Seconds later Transmission issue. Then info center went out. Windows would not roll down. All this happened within a mile. Trying to get to a parking lot with access, i made it a few more blocks. As i pulled into the parking lot it was not running and kinda grinded to a halt(think it put itself in park and wouldn't go till almost stopped). When stopped, nothing electrical worked. I was a few blocks from work and had to make the walk. Was about an hour before i got back to it. Could lift the rear gate and it actually tried to turn over but the battery was too low. Got a work truck and some jumper cables and hooked them directly to the battery. Left the work truck running and let it charge the battery. After 30min it the X5 started right up. Had my son drive it towards home and i followed. We got 2 miles and it started going crazy again. Pulled it over and charged again for about 45min. Had my son turn a/c and radio off and run with the windows down. Made it the 7 miles home and it actually started twice after arriving to get it where i could put it on a charger. Have an automatic charger and have it set to 2a to see what happens.

My thinking is that there could be 3 possible problems
1) Short somewhere
2) Alt not charging
3) Battery

I'm thinking that 1 and 2 are more likely since it runs down so fast while driving. If it were the battery, the Alt "should" keep it charged while running. Not sure.
I did check to see if all connections were tight on the battery and such. Not sure what to check under the hood though. Its very compact under the hood!

I just can't get a break with this vehicle! For what its worth, i've loved every bit of the past 1100 miles....when there were no issues...
Well your model year does see battery failures around now, if the dealer missed something it would have shown up earlier. Are you still under your warranty period ? Could get a new battery installed as it's the easiest way to tell and probably cheapest. If it goes dead again then you know it's mechanical or shorting out somewhere.

Some of the issues you speak off happen with a low discharged battery.

My dealer OEM price was 150 for a new battery.
Mines a 2012, The dealer you bought it from will probably change it just for good measure because of the issue you had. It's worth a call. And you don't need to drive to the BMW dealer for it. If you want OEM they can send it to your dealer you bought it from.
Appreciate 0