04-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
They weren't going to use the M4 due to the car being in DTM. BMW doesn't want to have that chassis as the sole racing chassis.
The "M4" that you see in DTM is not really a M4, but rather a M4 body mounted on regulation chassis that is mostly common to what is used by all the other teams (kind of like NASCAR).

IMSA, LeMans, and the various regional GT racing series are the only ones that actually use homologated versions of the street cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
The M6 has already shown to be a very competitive chassis, so I don't see any real need for concern.

I'm excited to see M235iR's in Pirelli World Challenge.
One of the M6 cars has been doing all right in the GTLM class; we'll see how they finish at season's end. My question still stands though why a M4 wasn't used instead of a M6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Using the P65 in the Z4 was not done under homolation rules, they had to ask for concessions. I don't think they were in the position to ask for more concessions with a brand new car. Plus using a S63 based engine in order to go GT racing with the M4 wouldn't look too good.
So if they're willing to use a turbo V8 derived from the S63, why not just use the inline 6 turbo S55? I guess they prefer working with a larger displacement engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
What is really telling is no privateer teams in CTSCC have chosen to run the M4. I thought Fall Line was developing a car, but they have gone silent. As it is now, no M3's in CTSCC. Sad really.
Yeah it is sad. The M4 is marketed as a track-ready car. And certainly the reviews on the consumer side of things have indicated that it is....so you'd think BMW would race the damn thing to validate their whole marketing scheme.

I guess the racing season is still young, and the M6 race car hasn't been out for that long, so we'll see how things go. Still...it seems like BMW is racing everything in their lineup (Z4, M235i, M6) except for the one car that everyone considers a benchmark within the industry.... doesn't make sense.