View Single Post
      08-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

My guess is the majority of people are not watch connoisseurs like yourself. Here is a different perspective as to what others might think.

Usually, when a man buys a watch (I'm not sexist, I'm just more in tune with male buying habits rather than women, plus women have to match their jewelry and other accessories so it doesn't "clash", so basically a lot more complicated than a man) that is the only piece of jewelry he wears. With that being said, he probably would want an iconic timepiece that's in his price range. Iconic in the sense that the person next to him will know the watch brand he is wearing and allude to the lifestyle he lives.

Tag, Rolex, Cartier, Omega, etc are the first to come to mind of these iconic brands. People don't buy these watches strictly on movement, function or aesthetics but rather from the worldwide symbolism it carries. It's obvious some of these best sellers have had the same styling for 50+ years and haven't changed much but consumers keep buying them year over year. Although many of these brands became famous for their reliability & durability over time, the majority of us are not diving 300 meters, measuring speed on a tachymeter, or going to the moon anytime soon. Also, these most recognized pieces are in the $2k-$9k range. I'd say this mid price point is the most popular for consumers looking for a "luxury" watch.
Appreciate 0