XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Tire Review: Conti DWS on X5M

After suffering through a few pairs of stock, staggered, 20" bridgestones RFTs I finally came to my senses and swapped them for some new paws.

Namely Continental DWS all seasons which i put on the stock 20" staggered rims.

Pros:
Live in NYC, can make it through winter without swapping out wheels/tires (saved 3-4K probably) vs. getting new winter setup and don't have to pay for wheel storage
Dramatic reduction in road noise. I'd say its 50% quieter. Inside sounds like a 7 series now...almost nothing but the stereo and the growl of the 550HP TTV8
Car absorbs shock/potholes/uneven surfaces like a champ.
Rain performance is incredible...literally feels like summer tires on hot pavement
Snow perf. --- will let everyone know later in the season but based on other's comments it will do just fine here in NY

Cons:
Car is much more bouncy on the road, feels like it is much less sporty
More timid to test the limits of the car on corners. i used to feel 100% confident in taking a corner with this beast and I have to say that is dramatically different now. I just can't tell where the limit is grip-wise anymore
Looks department - lost something here as well...tires just don't look as aggressive and takes something away visually

So i love the DWS set up but i do miss a few things about the Stones...namely that it felt more M-like on the road.

Big question i have is about what to do about not having RFT's anymore? I have the spare kit already in the back but wonder if i should have anything else handy?

How do other's feel?

Last edited by MonacoJoe; 10-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
they will settle in!! you will love them after some miles!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Perhaps the $150 Space-saver spare might be suitable.

The convenience of a spare tire stowed under the floor providing more trunk room in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
I also have the DWS which I use for the fall and winter time. I think they are the best bang for your buck for all seasons. They are great for snow and colder temperatures but for summer time not as good as the OEMs. OEMS feel wider, has plenty of grip in summer, and has a better stance than the DWS Its a give and take but for all seasons you cant go wrong with the Contis.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I got DWS on my X5 for over 22k miles. All "D.W.S." are still on the tires, which is amazing compared to the Duns that lasted 12k miles.

DWS are quieter, better on snow/ice/rain. Due to thinner side walls compared to RFTs, it does flex but do feel confident that they will grip. Try upping the PSi to the "high speed" recommendation, which is around 5-8psi higher.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

They are lighter than the RFTs, so technically handling should be improved, too bad Michelin don't make PSS in our sizes
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
I recently went through the tire replacement, went with regular tires. They vibrated at a certain speed, only after going back to the original OE Run flat I was able to get rid of the shake.

Just FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
nachilus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
I recently went through the tire replacement, went with regular tires. They vibrated at a certain speed, only after going back to the original OE Run flat I was able to get rid of the shake.

Just FWIW.
Since I got my proxies II for a week now I have experienced vibration taking it back for balancing.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachilus View Post
Since I got my proxies II for a week now I have experienced vibration taking it back for balancing.
That's exactly what I bought, balanced it several times put 1000 miles on them didn't work. Tire shop was nice enough to take them back and put new OE tires back on the car. Shake gone now.

Sticking with OE tires from now on, more expensive but I don't like shakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
nachilus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
That's exactly what I bought, balanced it several times put 1000 miles on them didn't work. Tire shop was nice enough to take them back and put new OE tires back on the car. Shake gone now.

Sticking with OE tires from now on, more expensive but I don't like shakes.
I agree, I am taking my car back to the tire shop tomorrow for one more balance to see if it fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Rob NY
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

My tire shop told me that DWS have problems with shaking. Still looking for a different tire shop to balance my tires one more time before I get other brand (wish PSS would fit our car).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
minnmarker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 xDrive35i, 2003 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
I've had the Conti DWS for a year now and could not be happier. They are smoother, quieter, and have better rain and snow traction than the Bridgestone OEM run flats. Snow traction isn't even in the same ball park. Much better with the DWS. And they have to have better wear mileage then the RFT tires. Who's gotten more than 20K out of the OEM tires???

As for flats, one of these will fit into the left compartment by the tail gate - along with some gloves and a hat. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Road...r-Kit/14254132 AAA card is nice to have too.

For cornering, some of you may have a point that the DWS have a softer sidewall and may not be as responsive - but we are talking about an SUV here.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Has anyone with balancing issues tried getting a balance done by a road force machine? Or just old school balancers?
      10-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
nachilus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Has anyone with balancing issues tried getting a balance done by a road force machine? Or just old school balancers?
Balance the proxes twice with road force, still the same issue.

They told me to bring it back on Monday, either they fix the issue, or replace the tire brand. At this point I will not invest any more time with balancing, since the tire shop is 20 miles away.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My experience is still going well. No issues at all with vibration at high speed that i can tell. Tires feel very balanced.

Wondering if the porker weight of the X5 on non rft is the issue and you need to add more tire pressure?

Haven't done a long hwy trip yet but will report back when i do.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnmarker View Post
I've had the Conti DWS for a year now and could not be happier. They are smoother, quieter, and have better rain and snow traction than the Bridgestone OEM run flats. Snow traction isn't even in the same ball park. Much better with the DWS. And they have to have better wear mileage then the RFT tires. Who's gotten more than 20K out of the OEM tires???

As for flats, one of these will fit into the left compartment by the tail gate - along with some gloves and a hat. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Road...r-Kit/14254132 AAA card is nice to have too.

For cornering, some of you may have a point that the DWS have a softer sidewall and may not be as responsive - but we are talking about an SUV here.
Well I would certainly hope so, seeing as the OEM tires aren't rated for cold weather AT ALL - they are summer tires only!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Whats the point of putting all season tires on your M? I thought the whole reason you bought the M over a regular x5 was for the added performance benefits and then you go an slap some shitty all season rubber on it that is neither good in the dry or wet... " i used to feel 100% confident in taking a corner with this beast and I have to say that is dramatically different now. I just can't tell where the limit is grip-wise anymore" -if thats the case then why'd you do it? I understand having two sets of wheels is more expensive but honestly you are wasting the benefits of the M badge with those all seasons.

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

Just as all seasons make no sense to me, neither does any snow tires over 255 in width. Two sets for your M is the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I put Latitude Tour HPs on mine a few months after delivery to get it ready for the winter and burnt through the rears in 12k miles. I then replaced them with the DWS's this summer. The DWS's drive much better but they are pain get balanced. Had them rebalanced 2 times since I got them on about 4k miles ago and they're finally right.

The Michelins never had that issue, but the rears weren't XL rated and had a lower load rating (106 vs 110). So you had to run them at higher pressures to get the correct road feel which in turn led to their premature death.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Whats the point of putting all season tires on your M? I thought the whole reason you bought the M over a regular x5 was for the added performance benefits and then you go an slap some shitty all season rubber on it that is neither good in the dry or wet... " i used to feel 100% confident in taking a corner with this beast and I have to say that is dramatically different now. I just can't tell where the limit is grip-wise anymore" -if thats the case then why'd you do it? I understand having two sets of wheels is more expensive but honestly you are wasting the benefits of the M badge with those all seasons.
def a valid point of view. however, i live in downtown nyc and not like i have my own garage. id say i only lost about 5% performance with the tires, gained a ton of benefits and don't have to figure out how to stash two sets of wheels when seasons change. made sense to me maybe not for others. if i lived in the burbs i'd get two cars anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

also, i think there is a huge difference buying an M3 or M5 vs. X5M or X6M. If you are buying an M SUV you are going for all-around not pure performance anyway. Trying to get best of both worlds but if i just wanted pure performance and nothing else id get a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
nachilus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachilus View Post
Balance the proxes twice with road force, still the same issue.

They told me to bring it back on Monday, either they fix the issue, or replace the tire brand. At this point I will not invest any more time with balancing, since the tire shop is 20 miles away.
Update, returning the tires for a full refund and will be getting DWS.
Appreciate 0