XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
puyo
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

2012 X5d Order: to ZAP or not to ZAP

Fellow X5 bimmer-heads,

Looking for some help with configuration and ordering. Looking at the X5d and taking advantage of the current incentives. Does the ZAP enhanced the performance in any way? Does the suspension get any changes with ZAP. All it says is "sports suspension delete (225)." What does that mean? The base model has sports suspension, and ZAP X5d has not? It adds 19" wheels which is not really a performance upgrade in my view. I fact, after driving the E89 Z4 with 19" wheels for 3 years, with numerous tires and rims lost to damage, I'd take more rubber any time. Other than that, ZAP looks to be cosmetic. Is this a worthwhile package?

Also, has anyone been successful in ordering a stand-alone option in the US that's not part of the official allowable options. What I'd like to order is the heated sports steering wheel as stand-alone. Is that possible at all?

Looking forward to joining your ranks! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
I got it on my 2011 35d for the cosmetic features, mainly the anthracite headliner, sports steering wheel, shadowline trim, etc. I like the look of the 19" wheels versus the stock 18", but you're right that it doesn't do anything for ride quality. I also opted for the comfort seats over the sport seats, and really like them.

I like the darker headliner and the sportier steering wheel, but if I were buying again I'm not sure that they'd be must-haves. The shadowline trim is black and looks just like the stock trim. On the configurator it looks darker, but in the real world I'd bet that most folks couldn't spot the difference.

The sport suspension isn't offered in the USA, so the "sport suspension delete" notice is confusing. The run-flats and base suspension will beat your kidneys to death without the need for any additional firmness...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
puyo
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Skip, what color combo did you get. If I were to order ZAP, I'm thinking about black interior so that the pillars, headliner, dash, carpet will all be in the same color without the disruption from top to bottom (especially dash and door trims).

I'm leaning towards comfort (MC) seats as well. I also would like the sports steering wheel. In fact, it's the only item in ZAP I really want. But its just nuts to pay for ZAP for the steering wheel, so I'm hoping it's possible to order as stand-alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

You can order the Performance steering wheel and retrofit it after the fact, I think you can do the same using the X5M wheel if you like it better.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat1=163135

There are definitely options that you can special order, such as the enhanced premium sound, but I haven't heard of anyone ordering just the Sport or M Sport steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by puyo View Post
Skip, what color combo did you get. If I were to order ZAP, I'm thinking about black interior so that the pillars, headliner, dash, carpet will all be in the same color without the disruption from top to bottom (especially dash and door trims).

I'm leaning towards comfort (MC) seats as well. I also would like the sports steering wheel. In fact, it's the only item in ZAP I really want. But its just nuts to pay for ZAP for the steering wheel, so I'm hoping it's possible to order as stand-alone.
I got the cinnamon brown leather and the dark bamboo wood. The leather is actually two-tone, with black carpets, parts of the seats, dash, etc. It makes for a nice contrast, if you like that sort of thing.

I had black leather in my 2007 335i, but the headliner was gray (can't recall if anthracite was even offered that year), and I always thought that it would have looked better if it had been darker. Beyond the looks, I like the more closed-in feel/illusion that the darker headliner provides.

The comfort seats are outstanding, and would be on my list of must-haves in an X5.
Appreciate 0