XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Active Autowerke | X5 & X6 (TT 4.4) Performance Software

Active Autowerke

The BMW 4.4L (5.0) Twin Turbo motor is BMW's newest powerhouse. From the factory this engine produces 400 HP and 450 Ft Lbs of torque. Through careful engineering and countless hours of R&D Active Autowerke is able to raise the power levels by 40 rear wheel horsepower and 70 ft lbs of torque. This power increase has been obtained by increasing the boost levels and modifying the fuel and ignition tables. All this has been in done while maintaining the factory characteristics that BMW engineered this engine/Ecu combination to work with. The Active Autowerke upgraded software is designed to operate with gasoline that has an average octane rating with full emissions to create a clean burning combustion with good AFR’s all within factory specifications. Looking to bring your 4.4 Twin Turbo motor to the next level? This upgrade is a must for the BMW enthusiast lookin for over 460 HP and a powerful 500 ft lbs of torque.

Stage 1.5

Stage 1

You can now Flash your Vehicle yourself! Simon Tool

Key Features:
40 Rwhp and 70 Ft lbs of torque Increases
Higher torque over factory settings throught RPM range
Recalibrated settings for a smoother and more responsive part throttle transition
Recalibrated settings for a smoother and more responsive power delivery
Ability to tune all DME's
Top speed limiter removed
Tune available for 91 or 93 octane fuel.
Tune also available for Euro Spec & Other International Octane Ratings

For pricing and ordering information please contact me directly or Click

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 03-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.
      03-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Maxx2
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Unknown

Is this tune still in development or is this the "final" version? Reason I ask is because the other tunes available today advertise much higher numbers (Dinan 496hp/573lb-ft, ESS +60awhp/+60lb-ft).

Also, compared to the numbers you've achieved on the "M" S63 these appear to be on the low side...

Would appreciate any info...

Thanks!
      03-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post
Is this tune still in development or is this the "final" version? Reason I ask is because the other tunes available today advertise much higher numbers (Dinan 496hp/573lb-ft, ESS +60awhp/+60lb-ft).

Also, compared to the numbers you've achieved on the "M" S63 these appear to be on the low side...

Would appreciate any info...

Thanks!
No this is an old dyno but the only one I have to show at the moment.

We have a revised stage 2 now available for the vehicle.

I will try to get the customer in for a dyno asap but he did send us his before and after vbox runs.

Stage 2 runs.

Stk 0-100 mph=13.2 seconds
Stg2 flash 0-100 mph was ~ 11.4-11.5 sec.
      03-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Maxx2
Second Lieutenant

Is this stage 2 an optional upgrade or the new base map being offered? Any reason why the description you posted up top still has the "old" numbers? I would like to see the new dyno graph when available. Has this ever been run against a stock X5M? If so, how does it compare? Motor Trend lists the X5M at 10.4s 0-100mph...

Thanks.

Last edited by Maxx2; 03-07-2012 at 07:47 PM.
      03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

No its just a higher map 15 psi. We tuned an x6 today which drove amazing.

We took it to a awd dyno and for some reason the front tires would not spin and the customer requested us to abort the run.

We will try and get another for testing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 03-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.
      03-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: GTR, X5 50i Dinan, & E93 M3

Does the M have larger turbos? I know stock boost for the 50i is 9.8psi and for the M is 16. Dinan lists their tune for the 50i going to 14psi which makes 496hp, whereas the M goes from 16 to 19psi with tune for 610 hp or so. Besides the boost, the other differences between the engines are pretty subtle from what I remember...larger intercooler, exhaust, etc. It's not enough to account for the 60 hp difference between a tuned 50i and a stock M, so I'm guessing it must be running bigger turbos.

More info...X6M has lower compression ratio (9.3:1 vs 10:1 for 50), makes peak power higher (6000 rpm vs 5500), and C&D lists stock boost at 17.4psi, so that could account for the difference.
2015 BMW M4 Alpine white/black - on the boat
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...

Last edited by TahoeM3; 03-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
      03-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Motor Trend lists the X5M at 10.4s 0-100mph...
C&D tested the X6M at 10.7 from 0-100 without using launch control, which the 50i doesn't have, so that's a better comparison.

Also...I had an X5M before and did VBox runs of 10.7 also if I remember correctly without LC, and 10.3 with.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
      03-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Maxx2
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
No its just a higher map 15 psi. We tuned an x6 today which drove amazing.

We took it to a awd dyno and for some reason the front tires would not spin and the customer requested us to abort the run.

We will try and get another for testing.
Just curious... Why is the picture you posted the same as in this thread http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656058?

Who did the tuning on this car?

Is this 15psi map the standard map or does it have to be requested when ordering?

TahoeM3,
Thanks for the additional info... If the 50i can be tuned to stock X5M numbers that would be awesome!!
      03-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

It's also interesting that the peak HP is around 5300 rpm on that dyno and then it drops off. That suggests to me that it's running out of air up top. I bet a less restrictive intake would make a lot of difference.
      03-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Maxx2
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
It's also interesting that the peak HP is around 5300 rpm on that dyno and then it drops off. That suggests to me that it's running out of air up top. I bet a less restrictive intake would make a lot of difference.
Does anyone offer an intake upgrade for the X5 50i? I did a quick search but haven't found anything...
      03-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

Quote:
Just curious... Why is the picture you posted the same as in this thread http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656058?

Who did the tuning on this car?

Is this 15psi map the standard map or does it have to be requested when ordering?

TahoeM3,
Thanks for the additional info... If the 50i can be tuned to stock X5M numbers that would be awesome!!

Took it to the same place it is not the same car I can assure you. 15Psi is our level 2 and you have the choice of power options when ordering.

We will be doing another vbox run on the stage 2 software and trying the dyno again with the customer.

I drove it around a bit yesterday and it is extremely fast and holds boost very well to redline.

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 03-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.
      03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Does anyone offer an intake upgrade for the X5 50i? I did a quick search but haven't found anything...
Not that I know of...there is a K&N filter for the M but I don't know if the airboxes are the same. It might also be worth looking at the intake system to see if there is a restriction of some sort to limit power.
      03-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

Took the X6 to the dyno yesterday! I will have a graph for you shortly.
      03-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

This is the newest flash it makes 2-3 psi more. As you can see the HP did not seem to go up much, but the torque went up quite a significant amount. The turbos just run out of air up top!

If the car had downpipes/intake and a bigger dyno fan we could see maybe 390-395 whp.
      03-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Rob@SW

Drives: 2013 MW/FR E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to Rob@SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post

This is the newest flash it makes 2-3 psi more. As you can see the HP did not seem to go up much, but the torque went up quite a significant amount. bit.The turbos just run out of air up top!

If the car had downpipes/intake and a bigger dyno fan we could see maybe 390-395 whp.
Fixed it for you!

Edit: Nevermind, now it's showing on your post!
Rob@SW is offline   United_States
      03-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

Thanks anyway Rob

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 03-22-2012 at 04:53 PM.
      03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Andrew, it was argued by another tuner in a separate thread that the stock turbos are maxed out pretty easily and that the engine isn't capable of producing more power than what he had achieved with his tune...which is also far short of what Dinan claims (he also suggested that Dinan was fudging their numbers). I suggested that there might be an intake restriction and that with improved air flow that the engine could make more power. To me it seems to run out of breath. He pretty much dismissed my comments. What do you think? Could BMW have intentionally restricted intake air flow in order to limit power potential? Is it possible the intercooler is the bottleneck? Could either of those be improved to boost power?

By the way, I may well be completely wrong on this...I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just expressing my understanding of how turbo engines work. This is not meant to be confrontational or argumentative...it's just for purposes of discussion.

Last edited by TahoeM3; 03-22-2012 at 10:22 PM.
      03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
m 135
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Gtr

I know the air-filters are placed at the rear on the 50i,which also makes them hard to change,where as the M versions are toward the front,making it easy to get to if you want after market filters.

I wonder if the different location on the 50i is a negative for air-flow like you mentioned
m 135 is offline   Australia
      03-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #19
Maxx2
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Andrew, it was argued by another tuner in a separate thread that the stock turbos are maxed out pretty easily and that the engine isn't capable of producing more power than what he had achieved with his tune...which is also far short of what Dinan claims (he also suggested that Dinan was fudging their numbers). I suggested that there might be an intake restriction and that with improved air flow that the engine could make more power. To me it seems to run out of breath. He pretty much dismissed my comments. What do you think? Could BMW have intentionally restricted intake air flow in order to limit power potential? Is it possible the intercooler is the bottleneck? Could either of those be improved to boost power?

By the way, I may well be completely wrong on this...I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just expressing my understanding of how turbo engines work. This is not meant to be confrontational or argumentative...it's just for purposes of discussion.
TahoeM3,

I have been looking at ALL the available options right now and there are only 2 options for the really big numbers; Dinan and Hartge.

On the F10 550's Dinan are currently at stage 3 and the advertised numbers are north of 500hp now. There are a few guys who will be putting their stage 3 cars on the dyno in the coming days/weeks and I am awaiting those results. If they confirm the "claimed" Dinan numbers then I think this can be put to bed once and for all.

As far as the Hartge is concerned, their tune brings power up to 490hp which is comparable to Dinan. It appears that it is not a "flash" tune and more like a "piggyback". I contacted them directly, but unfortunately they do not offer engine tuning for U.S. cars. I will follow up with them to get more details on why they don't offer anything for U.S. customers.

Could these two companies be inflating their numbers for marketing? Very possible, but don't want to dismiss them so quickly. Until there is proof that these numbers are indeed "inflated" than I will reserve judgement.
      03-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by m 135 View Post
I know the air-filters are placed at the rear on the 50i,which also makes them hard to change,where as the M versions are toward the front,making it easy to get to if you want after market filters.

I wonder if the different location on the 50i is a negative for air-flow like you mentioned
Could be...I need to look under the hood and see if there's any restriction point. I remember the X5M having two big air boxes right up front.

In the past I had a 987 Boxster S. The air intake was on the side, and it had a restrictor plate that literally had a gap a finger-width wide allowing air in. I removed it and gained an easy 15 hp up top. Not saying there is something similar here, but manufacturers have been known to do this kind of thing.
      03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
TahoeM3
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
TahoeM3,

I have been looking at ALL the available options right now and there are only 2 options for the really big numbers; Dinan and Hartge.

On the F10 550's Dinan are currently at stage 3 and the advertised numbers are north of 500hp now. There are a few guys who will be putting their stage 3 cars on the dyno in the coming days/weeks and I am awaiting those results. If they confirm the "claimed" Dinan numbers then I think this can be put to bed once and for all.

As far as the Hartge is concerned, their tune brings power up to 490hp which is comparable to Dinan. It appears that it is not a "flash" tune and more like a "piggyback". I contacted them directly, but unfortunately they do not offer engine tuning for U.S. cars. I will follow up with them to get more details on why they don't offer anything for U.S. customers.

Could these two companies be inflating their numbers for marketing? Very possible, but don't want to dismiss them so quickly. Until there is proof that these numbers are indeed "inflated" than I will reserve judgement.
Here's something else...l know that Dinan has made a point in the past that they dyno their cars with large fans aimed at the engine, trying to simulate real-world conditions where air enters the engine faster at speed. If they achieved these numbers using this method, and other tuners didn't use this method, then that tells us a lot. Assuming that the tunes are fundamentally very similar, the big difference is...drumroll...air! If all that is true, it would pretty much confirm that the limiting factor on this engine up top is the amount of air it is seeing rather than turbos themselves. If it was the turbos, then the engine would make the same power with and without added airflow.
      03-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Brigadier General

I would love to know how they made any more power without any bolt ons.. These turbo's are completely maxed out in the upper rpm .