XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

M sport owners please step inside

I\'m about to order a 2012 X5 msport and am curious as to what is the best solution for the paint chipping issue. I don\'t want to have to worry about repainting. Those that applied the clear film, how has it held up and prevented chips? Also has anyone tried the kit BMW sells? If so which is better, the BMW kit, nano fusion or 3M? Thanks in advance.
      08-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
treky11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 panamera

I had Avery nanofusion film applied. It has 1500 miles so far and looks great and is doing it's job. It's clearer than 3m and has less orange peel. I am very happy so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I\'m about to order a 2012 X5 msport and am curious as to what is the best solution for the paint chipping issue. I don\'t want to have to worry about repainting. Those that applied the clear film, how has it held up and prevented chips? Also has anyone tried the kit BMW sells? If so which is better, the BMW kit, nano fusion or 3M? Thanks in advance.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x-m-forum/78220-x5-m-m-package-paint-chipping-issue.html

This has been widely discussed on this forum many times.

Next time STFA
      08-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Quote:
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x-m-forum/78220-x5-m-m-package-paint-chipping-issue.html

This has been widely discussed on this forum many times.

Next time STFA

I've read all those posts. From why I can gather for some it works and others it doesn't? No one seems to have a clear definite solution.
      08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
AJCohen
Rep
Drives: 2009 528i, 2012 X5 on order

Northern2020 you sound like an ass. Skalberti you have a very valid question. I have been going through threads on this also. I take delivery of mine next week and I am wondering if I should trust the BMW dealership to use their kit or go and see Jeremy with Invisiguard. Anyone who has gone with the BMW kit would be great to here from you. Thanks

Oh yeah Northern2020 next time STFU
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

The standard kit does not offer enough protection along the sides of the vehicle. You need to cover up to the door molding and over the rear wheel flare or your paint will still get chewed up.

Mine held up ok for the first winter (3000km), but it will have to be replaced just in front of the rear wheels next spring I am guessing. I've got 10,000km on the film now and it is somewhat banged up.

My brother has a white X5M and didn't install any protection and 7,000 km later his M is facked!

Last edited by Northern X5M; 08-06-2011 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCohen View Post
Northern2020 you sound like an ass. Skalberti you have a very valid question. I have been going through threads on this also. I take delivery of mine next week and I am wondering if I should trust the BMW dealership to use their kit or go and see Jeremy with Invisiguard. Anyone who has gone with the BMW kit would be great to here from you. Thanks

Oh yeah Northern2020 next time STFU
AJCohen...

STFA = search the forum archives. What were you thinking? If you were "going through threads also" surely you must have read about this known aerodynamic issue affecting all X5 M/M Package trucks. Its clear you lack comprehension because you still don't know what to do for your truck that you take possession next week. Trust the BMW dealership. And I am an ass, but not with my previous post buddy.

Its about time the moderators sticky this. .

SKalberti : Don't use dealers 3M. Get a pro to do a custom job, paying extra attention to the flares. The dealers pre-cuts don't cover the area thoroughly. Refer to posted pic with custom job and you'll be fine. Have your guy cut the flares so he can remove them if your roads are harsh and just replace in the future.

Hope you were not offended by Search The Forum Archives as noob AJCohen was but its apparent that you knew what STFA meant.

Do use 12-14 mil 3m (headlamp stuff) on the flares and doors because will rip up and sandblast the regular 8mil- which is why regular 3M fails and you read about it.
Attached Images

Last edited by northern2020; 08-06-2011 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
The standard kit does not offer enough protection along the sides of the vehicle. You need to cover up to the door molding and over the rear wheel flare or your paint will still get chewed up.

Mine held up ok for the first winter (3000km), but it will have to be replaced just in front of the rear wheels next spring I am guessing. I've got 10,000km on the film now and it is somewhat banged up.

My brother has a white X5M and didn't install any protection and 7,000 km later his M is facked!
Think I met your bro at Edm BMW? Owns liquor stores?
      08-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
AJCohen
Rep
Drives: 2009 528i, 2012 X5 on order

Hey Northern2020,
Thanks for the great response to Skalberti. It only took you a few moments and it helped us both. I admit I mistakenly took archive for ass and I apologize for that. I do know what to do when I take possession and it is to cover my ride I was just digging and re-digging just like everyone else does. The frustrating thing on forums is when noobs stick out their necks with questions and they get shot down on the first or second response. And you do have to admit that although there has been a ton of talk about covering the M very little has been discussed about the product supplied by BMW.
All the best and good luck with the order Skalberti.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Think I met your bro at Edm BMW? Owns liquor stores?
No, not my brother.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AJCohen...

STFA = search the forum archives. What were you thinking? If you were "going through threads also" surely you must have read about this known aerodynamic issue affecting all X5 M/M Package trucks. Its clear you lack comprehension because you still don't know what to do for your truck that you take possession next week. Trust the BMW dealership. And I am an ass, but not with my previous post buddy.

SKalberti : Don't use dealers 3M. Get a pro to do a custom job, paying extra attention to the flares. The dealers pre-cuts don't cover the area thoroughly. Refer to posted pic with custom job and you'll be fine. Have your guy cut the flares so he can remove them if your roads are harsh and just replace in the future.

Hope you were not offended by Search The Forum Archives as noob AJCohen was but its apparent that you knew what STFA meant.

Do use 12-14 mil 3m (headlamp stuff) on the flares and doors because will rip up and sandblast the regular 8mil- which is why regular 3M fails and you read about it.

Thanks everyone for yor replies! No Northern I didn't get offended. Like you said I read alot of postings on this issue, but in the end with so many stories and reports I just didn't know what the best opton was. So what i need to do is go with the thicker 3M 14 mil at a custom shop, the same that is used on the headlights. Now you said that anything thinner will get sandblasted and ripped up, which I assume any tape you put on there will expierence the same, just the thicker will last longer. So when the tape does become dull and yellow, can it be removed and new applied? will the paint also be intact after the tape is reomved or will I need to do some touch up? Sorry for so many questions I just wanna make sure I don't spend $70K and then be upset with the outcome. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AJCohen...

Thanks everyone for yor replies! No Northern I didn't get offended. Like you said I read alot of postings on this issue, but in the end with so many stories and reports I just didn't know what the best opton was. So what i need to do is go with the thicker 3M 14 mil at a custom shop, the same that is used on the headlights. Now you said that anything thinner will get sandblasted and ripped up, which I assume any tape you put on there will expierence the same, just the thicker will last longer. So when the tape does become dull and yellow, can it be removed and new applied? will the paint also be intact after the tape is reomved or will I need to do some touch up? Sorry for so many questions I just wanna make sure I don't spend $70K and then be upset with the outcome. Thanks again!
Yes - thicker 3M on flares and rocker panels, and lower half of doors.

Regular 3M on front bumper, hood, and front quarter panels.

The flares should be cut so they can be pulled of and replaced if you experience excessive sandblasting.

An experienced 3M guy should have no problem removing and reapplying without damaging the paint.

I'll try to take pics of my flares so it is easier to see where the cut should be.
      08-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
treky11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 panamera

I know many here will disagree but I would Not recommend 3m. It has more orange peel. go look at a vehicle with 3m and one with Avery nano fusion. You will see a big difference. In addition, I have seen 3m lift the paint on removal / replacement. For an area like the flairs which i know will have to be replaced I didnt want to live with that risk.

Take a look at the pics of my x5m and you will see that the Avery is nearly invisible.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544470

Last edited by treky11; 08-07-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
I know many here will disagree but I would Not recommend 3m. It has more orange peel. go look at a vehicle with 3m and one with Avery nano fusion. You will see a big difference. In addition, I have seen 3m lift the paint on removal / replacement. For an area like the flairs which i know will have to be replaced I didnt want to live with that risk.

Take a look at the pics of my x5m and you will see that the Avery is nearly invisible.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544470
Looks clean, very clean. But it its the less than 10 mil it may not hold up on the flares.

Lets see how the avery holds up after the winter!
      11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
I've read all those posts. From why I can gather for some it works and others it doesn't? No one seems to have a clear definite solution.
Looks like those who used the thinner films experienced problems but those who used thicker films do better.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

We mainly commute on paved roads, so chipping due to gravel is minimal. for winter salt, if you put on 19 inch narrow winter wheels, you should have no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Ok sir, you're not going to like this but here's what I did to avoid the "stone throw" or whatever else the front tires kick up to the rear.

1) 3M'd the rocker panels (underneath the doors) from the front wheel to the rear. Also 3M'd the forward face of the rear wheel arches, right to the top before it begins to drop off towards the rear of the truck. This DID NOT WORK as the chips kept coming and made the 3M film on the wheel arches look like hell. 3M film on the arches was replaced and then.....

2) Installed BMW mudflaps both front and rear. Unbelievably, despite the Freightliner size of these stupid things, this (the fronts in particular) didn't work. The 3M film was still getting chipped because, as I determined, the front mud flaps didn't extend down enough. It probably required another couple of inches. The 3M film on the arches was replaced again and then...

3) To maintain my sanity, I cut approximately 3 inches off of the bottom of a cheap plastic set of flat mudflaps and attached them to the bottom of the BMW front mudflaps with 3 push-pin plugs each side - therefore extending the bottom of the front BMW flaps by about 2 inches. Problem solved. No more kick-up of any kind. It ain't the prettiest but I've learned not to look at them - which is a little easier with a black truck. And the rocker panel and the rear wheel arches are quite unblemished after thousands of kilometers.

Shame on BMW for not fixing this and shame on BMW for making me purchase a set of ugly mud flaps that don't work. Here's a couple of pics and I apologize for the quality as it had been raining and I was just test-fitting a new set of wheels/tires.

For what it's worth....Mark
Attached Images

12-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Will I have this issue on a non m package x5 5.0 if I put oem 21s and the wider plastic flares on? I plan on doing this in the spring and am wondering if ill need to purchase the front mudflats. I do have the aluminum running boards, perhaps this might block some of the debris?

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0