XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Exhaust sound difference

Has anyone with 35i installed the square exhaust tips? I think it's called the Performance Exhaust tip.

Someone mentioned that it only has cosmetic effect. It makes no sound differences. Is that true?

My question is: The 35i only has the left pipe working (below 2000rpm). If you install the square exhaust tips, does that remove the valve in the right pipe? In that sense, it should be louder all the time (equivalent to golf-tee mod).

Note: Search for "Golf-tee mod" if you don't know about the right pipe valve.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
DARE U
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can order the square tip from internet and this is only for the look and nothing to do with the sound at all. I have install Supersprint Exhaust on my 3.5i and the sound is not that promising at all, except at very high rpm (4,000 and above) then you can hear the different. Unless you go for Meisterschaft...they sound promising..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

I have it on mine and I can take a short video clip for you. I don't really know if it sounds any different since the tips were put on before I took delivery of my car. Send me a PM with you email so I can send you some video clips. I don't have to clue how to put a video clip up here.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
DARE U
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

The only thing I notice from mine is there are huge different in sound inside the cabin and it kinda satisfy. From outside, as mentioned early on, only when it is in high rpm then the sound can be heard.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARE U View Post
You can order the square tip from internet and this is only for the look and nothing to do with the sound at all. I have install Supersprint Exhaust on my 3.5i and the sound is not that promising at all, except at very high rpm (4,000 and above) then you can hear the different. Unless you go for Meisterschaft...they sound promising..
I am actually happier if it is not louder.

i did the golf-tee mod (by keeping the right pipe valve open at all times), and I hated it. The droning noise at around 2000 - 3000 rpm is annoying.

This is why I was asking if changing to square tip (by removing the valve) makes it louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

OP, you're talking about this right? If so, its just called an 'exhaust extension pipe'. That part along with a set of trim pieces mods a 3.5i exhaust to the look of a 5.0i exhaust. They're in my garage now (unfortunately not on the car) and they look pretty awesome.

My car went in to have this mod last Tuesday, but came back on Friday without being finished (but with a new quiet iDrive computer) because they didn't know that they had to cut out the bumper (have they never worked on these cars before??). Its going back in again next Monday.

*I* certainly hope its not louder. I wouldn't have expected that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
OP, you're talking about this right? If so, its just called an 'exhaust extension pipe'. That part along with a set of trim pieces mods a 3.5i exhaust to the look of a 5.0i exhaust. They're in my garage now (unfortunately not on the car) and they look pretty awesome.

My car went in to have this mod last Tuesday, but came back on Friday without being finished (but with a new quiet iDrive computer) because they didn't know that they had to cut out the bumper (have they never worked on these cars before??). Its going back in again next Monday.

*I* certainly hope its not louder. I wouldn't have expected that.
Please do keep me updated how the sound turns out to be.

Joech sent me a video clip of the exhaust. It does become louder, and sounds quite similar to the Golf-Tee mod. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
It will sound exactly like (or very close to) the golf tee mod. I'm having mine installed next week and if we don't like the sound, we should be able to complain to Bmwna as it doesn't state that it will change the sound... But it will at lower rpms. My SA said he'll put in a call if I'm not satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann View Post
It will sound exactly like (or very close to) the golf tee mod. I'm having mine installed next week and if we don't like the sound, we should be able to complain to Bmwna as it doesn't state that it will change the sound... But it will at lower rpms. My SA said he'll put in a call if I'm not satisfied.
If you cannot wait or need to hear it in advance, you should talk to joech. He has a pretty nice clip that captures the sound (start-up, idle and gasing).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
If you cannot wait or need to hear it in advance, you should talk to joech. He has a pretty nice clip that captures the sound (start-up, idle and gasing).
Thanks! I may PM him but then again it would ruin the surprise, whether good or bad. (too late to cancel anyway, parts already in paint) My appointment is next week for the installation and a handful of rattles, Dinan re-flash and other minor items. I probably won't hear my own exhaust for at least another week after that.

Btw I never did the golf tee mod, only pushed it open manually at idle a few times. Was always afraid to break something as I'm already on the second exhaust system because the flap started rattling 10k miles and since it is all one big piece, it had to be replaced entirely.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please do keep me updated how the sound turns out to be.

Joech sent me a video clip of the exhaust. It does become louder, and sounds quite similar to the Golf-Tee mod. I could be wrong though.
I just got my car back from the pipe mod today. I don't know if its louder, but its definitely 'rumblier'. That was the first thing that my 10yo son noticed: "I like how it sounds..." I've never heard one that's had the golf tee mod, so I can't comment on that.

I don't think that its as loud as the 5.0 exhaust (thank you!). I thought that was pretty distracting from inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I just got my car back from the pipe mod today. I don't know if its louder, but its definitely 'rumblier'. That was the first thing that my 10yo son noticed: "I like how it sounds..." I've never heard one that's had the golf tee mod, so I can't comment on that.

I don't think that its as loud as the 5.0 exhaust (thank you!). I thought that was pretty distracting from inside the cabin.
This is excellent news! Grats! I dropped my car off on tuesday last week, hadn't heard back and drove past my car on the dealer lot today... still the same old tips!

Now I must say I don't "hate" driving around in a brand new F10 535i all day, but unlike scheduled maintenance or repairs, I'm actually looking forward to getting it back this time!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is excellent news! Grats! I dropped my car off on tuesday last week, hadn't heard back and drove past my car on the dealer lot today... still the same old tips!

Now I must say I don't "hate" driving around in a brand new F10 535i all day, but unlike scheduled maintenance or repairs, I'm actually looking forward to getting it back this time!
They only give me 323i as courtesy car! Life isn't fair!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
They only give me 323i as courtesy car! Life isn't fair!
I really can't complain about the loaner cars here or my SA for the most part, but service with a loaner takes 1-2 weeks usually. Even without one I've waited over a week...

I was assured last monday that the car would be done last wenesday or thursday morning, still don't have the car or received a call from my SA. I'm happy with the loaner but he doesn't get to assume that and not notify me of any delays. I drove by the dealer today and decided to look for my car, found it with the tips installed! very happy with the look; on the driver's side that is. Is there any way to adjust the "tilt" of the tips (it's sloping downwards to the right a bit on the passenger side)? I know up and down should be easy and it looks centered too, just a bit crooked.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... very happy with the look; on the driver's side that is. Is there any way to adjust the "tilt" of the tips (it's sloping downwards to the right a bit on the passenger side)? I know up and down should be easy and it looks centered too, just a bit crooked.
Hey -- mine is the same way. I didn't notice when I picked it up, but I did right away when I got home. I was going to point it out to my SA the next time it goes in for something else. Since I would like to drive my car more than a week at a time, I won't be taking it in just for that. I guess I should call my CA to tell him about it though.

Let us know if they get yours straightened out.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Will do, IF I ever get my car back. That F10 is starting to feel more and more like my car now after 2 weeks...

Dealing with a Dinan related issue at the moment, hopefully sorted out tomorrow. Looking forward to the look on my SA's face when I kindly inform him that something is still not quite right. I'll be very tempted to take the x6 home that day though, and schedule another appointment to fix the exhaust (unless its a quick fix, doubtful however) as I'm supposed to keep the loaner and taking in a 335i instead, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #17
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

What's the Dinan issue?

Quote:
Will do, IF I ever get my car back. That F10 is starting to feel more and more like my car now after 2 weeks...

Dealing with a Dinan related issue at the moment, hopefully sorted out tomorrow. Looking forward to the look on my SA's face when I kindly inform him that something is still not quite right. I'll be very tempted to take the x6 home that day though, and schedule another appointment to fix the exhaust (unless its a quick fix, doubtful however) as I'm supposed to keep the loaner and taking in a 335i instead, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
It's with the stage 1 software for n54 motors... There is a bit of a hiccuping at higher rpms at open throttle. Called dinan and they just released a fix for it. Dealer couldn't replicate issue and therefore never contacted them in the past 2 week in which they had my car, blah blah blah - long story short, they're finally dealing with them now and hopefully get the fix authorized ( a bit of an hassle because, well. Murphy's law). Anyway, will report back as soon as I have any news.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Just picked up my car.... immediately discovered that a squaking bushing or suspension component was not replaced, so it's going back on monday. Looks like I lost the custody battle for my car; I get to see it every other weekend, other than that the dealer pretty much has full custody now....

On to the exhaust: I could have sworn they looked lower today than they did on sunday, but the right side no longer seemed crooked. Figured I was just seeing things, but after the drive home, the passenger side nearly touches the plastic surrounds at bottom as both side moved SIGNIFICANTLY lower. To prove my theory that they are indeed loose, I will try to move them back into place by hand once they cool off and see how they allign then.

Will post pics once I go back out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Will post pics once I go back out there.
Here we are, just some close-ups of the tips... and the loaner I've had for 2 1/2 and may have for another week or so. They actually don't look as low on the pics as they do in person. They also protrude quite a bit, making them appear lower when standing behind the vehicle. Passenger side is definitely a bit worse.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Doenermann, you's look quite a bit low to me. Here are photos of mine. I think that they are centered vertically. The passenger side is tipped to the right though.

They do seem to protrude; I asked my CA about that and he said that the ends are supposed to be even with the leading edge of the bumper. I looked around for side-view photos of 50i's and as far as I can tell, that's what they look like. I'm not 100% sure though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply. I've attached another two side view pics of mine. I'm glad (and not so glad at the same time) that I was correct to say that mine are quite low, although the passenger side tip is definitely less angled. I have no idea what kind of adjustments can be made on the muffler itself, perhaps it can be moved a bit forward and up... otherwise turning the tips upwards a few degrees would also raise them a bit. My car will be going back in next week so hopefully they'll be able to do something about it.

btw. also note how poorly the left exchaust surround trim is attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0