XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Rboosted717
Enlisted Member
Rboosted717's Avatar
5
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 X5M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Second Review: Catless downpipes & Akrapovic ehxaust

n/c

Last edited by Rboosted717; 09-05-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: n/c
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the teaser...

Sounds great. Deep and throaty no pun intended.

Moar!
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Bob MG
Moderating
Bob MG's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
72
Rep
1,882
Posts

 
Drives: like a muppet
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Wink

Mine sounds louder
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Nate@IND
Nate@IND's Avatar
482
Rep
10,444
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (19)

Yes let's hear some rolling videos.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Bob MG
Moderating
Bob MG's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
72
Rep
1,882
Posts

 
Drives: like a muppet
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

I don't notice any smell?

I reckon you get the ESS tune and run 100 RON

You will be sweet and it will sound like mine
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
mgakathereaper
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

So I posted over on Bob MG thread but saw the reference to smell here.

Rboosted717 - Based on your thread and Bob MG comment, you do not currently have the ESS Tune correct?

Bob MG - I will have your identical setup, I suspect I will have similar results and not have "smell" issues. I imagine ESS addresses the variables.

My stuff should start arriving next week.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
mgakathereaper
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Ah. Got it. Thx for the info.

I will have a 93 octane tune which will adapt up to 96 octane. I will also have a 100 octane tune for the cam-2 fuel I can get down the street.

I will probably do a mix of 93 and 100 to get around 96-98 octane.

I will be at the same level as Bob MG after the conversion from RON to AKI here in the states.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
mgakathereaper
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

RON x .95 = AKI (US Octane Rating)

98 RON x.95 ~ 93 AKI
100 RON x .95 ~ 95 AKI

So in theory:

100 AKI x 1.05 ~ 105 RON

The calcs are a bit more complex but this is an easy way of looking at it for simple minded folks like myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
TimZ
Lieutenant
TimZ's Avatar
Albania
7
Rep
574
Posts

 
Drives: X5M
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

It sounds sick! Cant wait to add this on mine. Any rolling videos yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
Bob MG
Moderating
Bob MG's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
72
Rep
1,882
Posts

 
Drives: like a muppet
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Oh my wife asks me why my car is soo noisy all the time, thank god she can't smell it

I'm running 95 Ron pump with an Octane booster.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rboosted717 View Post
More details coming shortly, but here's a video of the first cold start:

Happy with the setup?

How's the long term assessment?
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
BiG22DuBz's Avatar
1
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: X5M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sunny SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Sounds sweet! I snapped an axle bone stock while launching.
__________________
2014 M5...AMS downpipes, BMS tune, lead foot
2011 X5M....Downpipes, exhaust, dyno tuned
2008 Ducati 848....pearl white, Termignoni exhaust
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
BiG22DuBz's Avatar
1
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: X5M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sunny SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Truck sounds great! Did the exhaust get louder after break-in? How's the truck holding up? Is the tune spot on? Idle well? Any surge or bucking during low rpm?
__________________
2014 M5...AMS downpipes, BMS tune, lead foot
2011 X5M....Downpipes, exhaust, dyno tuned
2008 Ducati 848....pearl white, Termignoni exhaust
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rboosted717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG22DuBz View Post
Truck sounds great! Did the exhaust get louder after break-in? How's the truck holding up? Is the tune spot on? Idle well? Any surge or bucking during low rpm?
No, the exhaust never needed to break-in due to the design of the Akrapovic muffler and free-flow piping. In terms of sound it's remained consistent since first use.

The truck is holding up fine with no issues to report. I did have one or two random electronic gremlins but that's nothing new on any car (ie: unrelated to the modifications).

The tune is pretty good. I've noticed it runs slightly on the richer side and could probalby benefit from a little detailed analysis/tuning, however I can't complain. The idle is fine and practically same as stock.
In terms of surge, yes I do get some from time to time, however its mainly a result of the rapid spooling of the turbo's due to the lack of back pressure and sudden throttle changes. Typically surging is a result of over spinning the turbo's or inadequate pressure bleed off. Generally speaking is mild enough that you'll only notice it in very particular situations.

At the moment I'm running the factory downpipes as I had to preform my first (1yr) service a few months ago. I'll be installing the catless downpipes again once the weather gets better. Also after doing this a few times, I'm now down to 2.5hrs from start to finish. I wouldn’t be surprised if most mechanic shops want 8hrs (All-Data estimate) or 3-5hrs for experienced aftermarket/tuner shops. Needless to say it’s a backbreaker due to the awkward position the mechanic will be in.
Would love a Downpipe synopsis from you as you have the most experience in doing this!

I will be attempting to do mine this spring...
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Ok Rboosted...

After reading this and Bob MG's thread I've committed to IND and ordered the Catless Akra + Akra Evo + ESS tune!!


Would love your Downpipe removal / install tips!!

Did you retain the factory heat shields?

Truck going strong still?
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
NANDOM5
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X5M E 70
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madrid - Spain

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Ok Rboosted...

Did you retain the factory heat shields?

Well.......i made the same question as my mechanic told me DP are normally wider.......

Waiting for your replies....


Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDOM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Ok Rboosted...

Did you retain the factory heat shields?

Well.......i made the same question as my mechanic told me DP are normally wider.......

Waiting for your replies....


Regards
I retained the factory heat shields wit the Akra catless dp's
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
larkinda
Private
5
Rep
68
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 x6m
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

How is the sound inside the truck? I want to go catless but am worried about cabin drone. I had a RR sport with project Kahn exaust and the drone was awful.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkinda
How is the sound inside the truck? I want to go catless but am worried about cabin drone. I had a RR sport with project Kahn exaust and the drone was awful.
Mind sounds quite tame in the truck but more aggressive and monster like vs stock, and vs a catted Downpipe.


I am constantly rolling down my windows so I can hear the beast!

No drone either.

No regrets with the turbo back catless Akra!
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Jimshorts's Avatar
5
Rep
265
Posts

 
Drives: x5m
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Live free or die

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rboosted717 View Post
No, the exhaust never needed to break-in due to the design of the Akrapovic muffler and free-flow piping. In terms of sound it's remained consistent since first use.

The truck is holding up fine with no issues to report. I did have one or two random electronic gremlins but that's nothing new on any car (ie: unrelated to the modifications).

The tune is pretty good. I've noticed it runs slightly on the richer side and could probalby benefit from a little detailed analysis/tuning, however I can't complain. The idle is fine and practically same as stock.
In terms of surge, yes I do get some from time to time, however its mainly a result of the rapid spooling of the turbo's due to the lack of back pressure and sudden throttle changes. Typically surging is a result of over spinning the turbo's or inadequate pressure bleed off. Generally speaking is mild enough that you'll only notice it in very particular situations.

At the moment I'm running the factory downpipes as I had to preform my first (1yr) service a few months ago. I'll be installing the catless downpipes again once the weather gets better. Also after doing this a few times, I'm now down to 2.5hrs from start to finish. I wouldnt be surprised if most mechanic shops want 8hrs (All-Data estimate) or 3-5hrs for experienced aftermarket/tuner shops. Needless to say its a backbreaker due to the awkward position the mechanic will be in.
Wow 2.5 hour install thats solid! Ive read up to 11hours. Any chance you have a DIY?
__________________
2010 BMW X5 M Eurocharged: 12.298 @ 112.860 MPH Tune only.
2005 E55 AMG 11.93 @ 117 1/4 mile 7.75 @ 95 1/8mile tune, shorties, street tires. Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
MarcG777
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: X5M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria

iTrader: (0)

ECU Programming

Rboosted717
Did you also do the ECU programming? I read on the Akrapovic website, that it is required for the downpipes!If yes, does that mean I will loose my warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
northern2020
Lieutenant
northern2020's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcG777
Rboosted717
Did you also do the ECU programming? I read on the Akrapovic website, that it is required for the downpipes!If yes, does that mean I will loose my warranty?
You need the reprogrammed ECU when running catless Downpipes...

Regardless any aftermarket mod will void your warranty!
__________________
| '10 Escalade ESV | '12 Audi S4 | '01 Audi S4 | '15 328d Xdrive M-Sportwagon |
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST