XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Factory Power Upgrade Questions

So, about 5 minutes ago I added the power option, 7RR, to my order. It is reported to add 40hp to the 5.0 engine and shaves 0.2 seconds off the 0-60 time.

Does anybody have specs on what it does to the engine? Turbo pressures, timings, etc?

BTW, in my experience, $1500 is not a terrible deal for a power increase from 400 to 440 hp, considering it is factory fresh, warranty unnaffected, and no need for aftermarket tinkering.

I am now anticipating delivery of my car 10% more than before
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Nice, man! I'm glad that worked out!

As far as what it does, I'm not 100% sure, but it is just software ... probably just increases max boost by a few psi.
Rac10000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 X6 50i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: .

Posts: 247
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
So, about 5 minutes ago I added the power option, 7RR, to my order. It is reported to add 40hp to the 5.0 engine and shaves 0.2 seconds off the 0-60 time.

Does anybody have specs on what it does to the engine? Turbo pressures, timings, etc?

BTW, in my experience, $1500 is not a terrible deal for a power increase from 400 to 440 hp, considering it is factory fresh, warranty unnaffected, and no need for aftermarket tinkering.

I am now anticipating delivery of my car 10% more than before
To be precise, the actual HP is 407 and the power upgrade adds 42 HP, so the total is 449 HP.
XBMW6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
To be precise, the actual HP is 407 and the power upgrade adds 42 HP, so the total is 449 HP.
Always good to be precise.

Do you have the upgrade? I imagine fuel efficiency is improved also?
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
To be precise, the actual HP is 407 and the power upgrade adds 42 HP, so the total is 449 HP.
That may be correct for other markets, but for the US the standard HP is 400 and the optional performance upgrade adds 40.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx
Rac10000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
I imagine fuel efficiency is improved also?
I would assume that it either stays the same as a "regular" 50i or gets marginally worse.
Rac10000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
When I Dinan'd my 335 xi with ECU stage 2 and exhaust, mpg went up significantly.
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
When I Dinan'd my 335 xi with ECU stage 2 and exhaust, mpg went up significantly.
hmmm, that's interesting. I guess anything is possible. But if I had to guess, I doubt it changes much.
Rac10000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dmlgc's Avatar
 
Drives: X6M / 335D
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Posts: 1,821
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac10000 View Post
That may be correct for other markets, but for the US the standard HP is 400 and the optional performance upgrade adds 40.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

I didn't think you could add the HP upgrade in the states ?
dmlgc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Yes, mine is being ordered and built in US
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dmlgc's Avatar
 
Drives: X6M / 335D
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Posts: 1,821
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
Yes, mine is being ordered and built in US
Since there's no way to tell where you are located, yours was ordered and is being delivered in the US ? (all are built in US).
dmlgc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Denver
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
 
Drives: X6 50i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I didn't think you could add the HP upgrade in the states ?
I have it right now..
NYCGarbagePrince is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Henry1515
Private
 
Henry1515's Avatar
 
Drives: X6 35i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore

Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

Is is true that you have
to order it with the car and there is no aftersales kit for this upgrading.
Henry1515 is offline   Singapore
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
 
Nezo86's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 X6 50i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas/Prishtina, TX

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

I also have it on mine... and it makes a big difference!
__________________
2010 BMW X6 50i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Chateau Nevada Leather - 20" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style259) with mixed run-flat perf. tires - Space-saver spare - Soft-close automatic doors - Heated front seats - Dark Bamboo wood trim - Performance Upgrade - Premium Package - Rear Climate Package - Sport Package - Rearview Camera with Top View
Nezo86 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezo86 View Post
I also have it on mine... and it makes a big difference!
How is the performance and handling in general? Do you also have a sports car or does the X6 suffice?
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
scottyv
Modding Master
 
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Most dealers at the start of the 2010 model year were clueless to the 7RR option (gee what a surprise!). Thank God for our little helpful forum! I do so love it.

I drove a stock 3.5, a stock 5.0 and my 5.0 (my 2010) with the performance upgrade. Yes it is noticable and worth the price. 5.0 to 5.0 enhanced, it just pulls a lot harder all through the range.

I still want more though! My goal is a reliable 500HP, I am waiting to see how far Dinan takes it. That's only another 50Hp - 60HP from where we are at now with the factory existing software only performance upgrade.

More boost = more power simple enough, but the trick is how much on premuim gas before detonation and over pressure become damaging. I'll bet that BMW has left a good bit on the table as OEM has to err to the conservative side.

I'd love to toy with a Juice Box type product but seems a bit risky.

Also, this vehicle needs an an airbox, being a lower production vehicle I wonder if K&N ever will make one for the X6 5.0?

That in conjucntion with a better exhaust should lend a few more horsies with no stress on the sytem (combined maybe 10-15 realistically), albeit mostly at higher rpm's.

Nowadays you don't get that much from catback systems as OEM exhaust are pretty freeflowing, I'll take a system with just a few HP's if it toughens the sound up to my liking.

I figure I have the winter to wait it out for Dinan, etc.
__________________
2010 Alpine White X6 5.0 with Oyster Leather / Dark Wood Trim -- Sport Package with 20" Style 259 Wheels, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, 7RR Performance Pkg, Active Steering, Running Boards, Rear View Cam & Top view, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Comfort Access, Space Saver Spare, Sat Radio, Smartphone Integration
scottyv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: X6 5.0i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NOVA

Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv View Post
Most dealers at the start of the 2010 model year were clueless to the 7RR option (gee what a surprise!). Thank God for our little helpful forum! I do so love it.

I drove a stock 3.5, a stock 5.0 and my 5.0 (my 2010) with the performance upgrade. Yes it is noticable and worth the price. 5.0 to 5.0 enhanced, it just pulls a lot harder all through the range.

I still want more though! My goal is a reliable 500HP, I am waiting to see how far Dinan takes it. That's only another 50Hp - 60HP from where we are at now with the factory existing software only performance upgrade.

More boost = more power simple enough, but the trick is how much on premuim gas before detonation and over pressure become damaging. I'll bet that BMW has left a good bit on the table as OEM has to err to the conservative side.

I'd love to toy with a Juice Box type product but seems a bit risky.

Also, this vehicle needs an an airbox, being a lower production vehicle I wonder if K&N ever will make one for the X6 5.0?

That in conjucntion with a better exhaust should lend a few more horsies with no stress on the sytem (combined maybe 10-15 realistically), albeit mostly at higher rpm's.

Nowadays you don't get that much from catback systems as OEM exhaust are pretty freeflowing, I'll take a system with just a few HP's if it toughens the sound up to my liking.

I figure I have the winter to wait it out for Dinan, etc.
I also had to educate my dealer on the 7RR package. They were clueless. Anyways, I'm looking forward to being able to tune my 50i to about 500hp as well. I've heard that some tuning(ECU, ect..) can actually increase your fuel economy. Are you guys aware of that?
REInvestor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dmlgc's Avatar
 
Drives: X6M / 335D
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Posts: 1,821
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1515 View Post
Is is true that you have
to order it with the car and there is no aftersales kit for this upgrading.
That would be great since it's most likely a software upgrade but BMW doesn't seem to want to offer it's customers options after the sale. Too bad they are missing out on making money and losing it at the same time.

If they don't offer it folks will go to Dinan and BMW will have to eat the cost of any repairs that result from pushing the car beyond the limit.
dmlgc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
 
DrEvil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
I also had to educate my dealer on the 7RR package. They were clueless. Anyways, I'm looking forward to being able to tune my 50i to about 500hp as well. I've heard that some tuning(ECU, ect..) can actually increase your fuel economy. Are you guys aware of that?
Yes, I bumped my 335xi from 315 to about 400 hp with Dinan ECU and exhaust and saw definate increase in mpg. And I put down 327 rwhp on the dyno. It was fun. I have no idea whether a TT V8 will respond like a TT 6 cylinder.
__________________
For now -- Frozen White 2013 BMW M3 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Recent - 2009 Porsche 911 Targa 4S; 2009 X6 5.0i; Aston Martin V8V; 2012 BMW 650
Prior --- 2008 E92 335xi|6MT|Dinan ECU|Dinan Free Flow|KW V3 Coilovers|Monoco Blue Metallic|Goldenrod
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
DrEvil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 X6 50i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: .

Posts: 247
iTrader: (0)

You guys should consider Singh Autosport...they have a tunning software for the 50i that adds 80HP. From what I heard, they have over 17 years of experience in this field and worked on many top car brands. "BlackX6" had his car tuned and he seems very impressed by the results. You can ask him for more details...
XBMW6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
tjl18
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 35i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Everyone I need your help. I just ordered a X6 35i and I told the dealer that I wanted to add the Power Upgrade and he told me it is done after the vehicle is built. He said they modify it at the port. Why would the vehicle go to the port for delivery to NJ. That does not seem right at all. From what I read the mods are done at the factory and can not be done after. Can anyone give me any insight, so I can explain this to the dealership. The vehicle goes into production sometime during the first week of January, so I have a little time. Thanks
tjl18 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST