BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Brake dust

05-09-2024, 01:41 PM   #1
Joeshin87
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Brake dust

Anyone swap out their brake pads for aftermarket pads? The OEM pads cause way too much brake dust and its getting annoying. Would like to hear what others have installed and whether it affected stopping power and level of brake dust the new pads create. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:53 PM   #2
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Brake dust and brake performance are nearly related to each other. You can trade for less dusty pads at the compromise of worse brake performance. Just like anything, it depends on your use case.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 02:15 PM   #3
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Choice is dust vs less stopping power.

I use Outlast, or whatever is its currant name, & don't worry about the dust. Very easy to clean & not a much sticks in the first place.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 02:47 PM   #4
Joeshin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0pless View Post
Brake dust and brake performance are nearly related to each other. You can trade for less dusty pads at the compromise of worse brake performance. Just like anything, it depends on your use case.
Not necessarily true. Ceramic brake pads I hear cause less dust/noise and in some cases either doesn't sacrifice stopping power or even improves it. DFC3000 for the G80/G82 seems to be the go to for most people.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:05 PM   #5
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeshin87 View Post
Not necessarily true. Ceramic brake pads I hear cause less dust/noise and in some cases either doesn't sacrifice stopping power or even improves it. DFC3000 for the G80/G82 seems to be the go to for most people.
IIRC, there was a thread where we had a discussion on ceramic pads that are suitable for the G29.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:32 PM   #6
Joeshin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
IIRC, there was a thread where we had a discussion on ceramic pads that are suitable for the G29.
Hmm...i'll have to try looking for that then. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 04:00 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
... and in some cases either doesn't sacrifice stopping power or even improves it.
Be sure when you research you are looking at what this means - cold, hot, initial bite, overall distance needed to stop, and so on.

For driving to work, getting groceries, and so forth the initial bite of the stock type pads is generally highest and generally recommended.

Other pad materials are certainly not inferior, and I won't say either that stock is best. Just that when you do comparisons, be sure you're looking at all the parameters of braking that are being changed, better and worse, and be sure it matches the driving that you do.
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1485.50
      05-09-2024, 04:37 PM   #8
t0pless
Private
Rep

Quote:
Brake pads, like a lot over “upgrades”, are use case dependent because the coefficient of friction dependent on temperature range. The temperature range also will dictate how noisy and aggressive they are to the rotor.

Stock pads have great initial bite, relatively good service life, but at the compromise of some noise and dust. On track, their grip quickly falls off and get pretty smelly.

Ceramic pads are fine for general use. They create less dust, good service life, and pretty quiet. I only recommend these for daily use. I drive my cars hard, and on track, so I never touch ceramic pads.

I still stick with my original statement: a higher performing pad will tend to be more dusty. By higher performance, I’m referring to brakes that operate more effectively in higher temperatures.
Appreciate 1
Argo761.50
      05-09-2024, 05:03 PM   #9
Joeshin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Be sure when you research you are looking at what this means - cold, hot, initial bite, overall distance needed to stop, and so on.

For driving to work, getting groceries, and so forth the initial bite of the stock type pads is generally highest and generally recommended.

Other pad materials are certainly not inferior, and I won't say either that stock is best. Just that when you do comparisons, be sure you're looking at all the parameters of braking that are being changed, better and worse, and be sure it matches the driving that you do.
Yup those are things i do consider. Just wanted to see what pad most people are running to get a good comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:04 PM   #10
Joeshin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0pless View Post
Brake pads, like a lot over “upgrades”, are use case dependent because the coefficient of friction dependent on temperature range. The temperature range also will dictate how noisy and aggressive they are to the rotor.

Stock pads have great initial bite, relatively good service life, but at the compromise of some noise and dust. On track, their grip quickly falls off and get pretty smelly.

Ceramic pads are fine for general use. They create less dust, good service life, and pretty quiet. I only recommend these for daily use. I drive my cars hard, and on track, so I never touch ceramic pads.

I still stick with my original statement: a higher performing pad will tend to be more dusty. By higher performance, I’m referring to brakes that operate more effectively in higher temperatures.
yea im aware of the different use cases. I'm not planning on tracking this car anytime soon so im looking for pads suitable for daily driving since this car is my daily. Just getting tired of having to clean my wheels every other day due to the excessive brake dust.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 05:20 PM   #11
Rcasa20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan EVO Chevy Tahoe

I changed out the factory pads in my Hellcat Redeye to Powerstop pads and the dust went away completely. They did not reduce stopping power as some have suggested may occur with no dust pads. I used them on the drag strip needing to brake hard after finishing up a quarter mile. It appears they offer for the Z4 so I may try them out if the dust is as bad as some on here have suggested.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 06:17 PM   #12
amutti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

I don’t have a M40i yet, but I have a 2021 M240xi, and changed to Z23 Powerstop pads all the way around with stock rotors — couldn’t be happier. Plenty of stopping power for street use and very little dust. My only gripe is that the rear brakes squeal a tiny bit when reversing the first time in the morning when leaving the garage. Not every time, but often enough. I’ll take it for the reduced brake dust.
Appreciate 1
Rcasa20218.00
      05-09-2024, 06:41 PM   #13
MisanoblueZ4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Brake dust gets street cred

I generally wash every one or 2 weeks, wheels are coated with brake dust. Got less self conscious about the “dirty” wheels after some Cars and Coffee events in which every Porsche also had a nice coating of brake dust on their wheels.

Once the stock pads wear out I’ll consider options but I’m so used to the bite and feel of the stock brakes I worry less about the dust.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 08:32 PM   #14
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thought I would add this. HAWK HP+ pads are dusty. Wheels were wiped with a dry paper shop towel before the car was washed.

Wheels are sprayed with Outlast after washing. Car runs HP+ pads on cross drilled rotors.

Hawk Performance HP Plus AutoX, Track Day, Street Performance.
100-800 Deg F Operating Temperature Range
300-600 Deg F Optimal Temperature Range

The plain HPS version is less dirty
100-700 Deg F Operating Temperature Range
100-500 Deg F Optimal Temperature Range

1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 08:54 PM   #15
Joeshin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory-2 View Post
Thought I would add this. HAWK HP+ pads are dusty. Wheels were wiped with a dry paper shop towel before the car was washed.

Wheels are sprayed with Outlast after washing. Car runs HP+ pads on cross drilled rotors.

Hawk Performance HP Plus AutoX, Track Day, Street Performance.
100-800 Deg F Operating Temperature Range
300-600 Deg F Optimal Temperature Range

The plain HPS version is less dirty
100-700 Deg F Operating Temperature Range
100-500 Deg F Optimal Temperature Range
I was looking at either the powersport Z26 or EBC RedStuff Ceramics
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:34 AM   #16
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was looking at either the powersport Z26 or EBC RedStuff Ceramics
Had the Power Sport Z26 STREET WARRIOR BRAKE UPGRADE KIT with the Mustang SVT Cobra calipers, Large 13" cross drilled, slotted Discs & Z26 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads in my Cobra.

Did not like the pads. Stopping distance way to long. Have kept the SVT Cobra red powder coated calipers & Discs, installed HAWK HP+ pads.

Car will stop from 70mph in about 90 feet. Have never tried RedStuff Ceramics but have heard good things about them.

1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 07:36 AM   #17
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory-2 View Post
HP+ pads
I remember putting these on my winter beater / lumber store run use Ranger truck. I thought "they're better than normal pads". It was awful, driving to work they definitely didn't stop at the first few stop signs in the winter, and squealed like crazy. I'm not a brake expert but I learned then that there was so much more to the "better" subject for brake pads. Very situational dependent.

Funny that HP+'s are even offered in Ranger sizes. They must fit other cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:03 AM   #18
amutti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

A lot of high end pads need to get hotter to work correctly. It’s a compromise.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2024, 10:31 AM   #19
t0pless
Private
Rep

Quote:
yea im aware of the different use cases. I'm not planning on tracking this car anytime soon so im looking for pads suitable for daily driving since this car is my daily. Just getting tired of having to clean my wheels every other day due to the excessive brake dust.
Okay, so we understand that’s the compromise. Your current brake performance for something less in order to have less brake dust.

Powestop z26 brakes would do you fine then. They stop like ass, but at least your wheels will look clean before you hit a wall.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2024, 10:51 AM   #20
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I remember putting these on my winter beater / lumber store run use Ranger truck. I thought "they're better than normal pads". It was awful, driving to work they definitely didn't stop at the first few stop signs in the winter, and squealed like crazy. I'm not a brake expert but I learned then that there was so much more to the "better" subject for brake pads. Very situational dependent.

Funny that HP+'s are even offered in Ranger sizes. They must fit other cars as well.
Would not put these on my Ranger either. Been using them as replacement pads on anything I AutoX & street drive. HAWK has any number of pure street pads that stop well & are not dusty.

Tried to show with the temperature charts, maybe should have explained, that pads function differently based on the temperature they are designed for.

Reason I showed them was to illustrate how dusty pads can be delt with using Outlast on clean wheels. HP+ are very dirty compared to stock BMW pads.

Mine are bedded well & don't squeak. I drag the brakes going down my drive which is a hill. Pads are heated before I get out of the subdivision.

Really don't think about it much. My 66 GTO had the performance segmented metallic brake package with polished drums. Came with a sticker on heating the brakes.

1965 Cobra Replica

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory-2; 05-10-2024 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2024, 11:01 AM   #21
RavenGX
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29 M40i

Garage List
i switched to endless mx72p brake pads.
But i havent paid any attention to if they make more or less dust.
I'll have a look at my rims next time i go for a drive.
      05-10-2024, 11:30 AM   #22
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
My wheels are almost a coppery sheen right now. I gotta wash the car this afternoon for a show tomorrow. Can't wait to see the difference lol
Appreciate 0