XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
VKM2F
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 xDrive50i

iPod Playlist Help!

Hey guys,

I am really pulling my hair out over my iPod connection with my X6. I have several playlists created however when I select playlist in iDrive it says there is nothing. I'm connecting through the USB connection.

I did a google search and found something about folders and files having to point to each other and this causing a problem accessing playlists etc., but really no solution. Anyone else having this issue?

I have thousands of songs and without the playlists it'd be pretty tedious to find what I'm looking for. Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

VKM2F
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Do you use the BMW Y-cable to connect your ipod to your car or are you just using the standard USB dock connector?

If you use the Y-cable (available through your BMW dealership after sales parts department), you will have full ipod integration. If you use the ipod USB dock connector, you will only have access to the actual songs data files (similar to just using a USB stick).
The Y-cable connects to the aux and USB connection in your center console and the dock connector on your ipod. The little box between the different connectors on the Y-cable translates commands sent from the iDrive controller via the USB interface into a serial data stream that controls the ipod. The ipod in turn decodes the selected song and outputs it as an analog signal via the dock connector which the Y-cable then connects to the aux-in connector in your center console.

If you use the standard ipod USB dock connector, the iDrive controller will 'see' the songs as data files and read them through the USB interface and decode them for playback through the cars speakers.

The Y-cable was added to the 2009 model year as part of the 6FL option and your dealer SHOULD have supplied this cable with your car when you picked it up!

Hope this helps you.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM2F View Post
Hey guys,

I am really pulling my hair out over my iPod connection with my X6. I have several playlists created however when I select playlist in iDrive it says there is nothing. I'm connecting through the USB connection.

I did a google search and found something about folders and files having to point to each other and this causing a problem accessing playlists etc., but really no solution. Anyone else having this issue?

I have thousands of songs and without the playlists it'd be pretty tedious to find what I'm looking for. Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

VKM2F
I have the ipod interface sold by BMW that raplaces the 6 disk CD changer.. the way I have to set up my play lists in order to work with the interface is as follows:

BMW1&(your own name of your playlist) through BMW5

on my BMW OEM radio what would be "CD 6" is shuffle for the IPOD.
      10-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
I have the ipod interface sold by BMW that raplaces the 6 disk CD changer.. the way I have to set up my play lists in order to work with the interface is as follows:

BMW1&(your own name of your playlist) through BMW5

on my BMW OEM radio what would be "CD 6" is shuffle for the IPOD.
NOt the same as iDrive equipped cars. Your steps are no longer required.
      10-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Do you use the BMW Y-cable to connect your ipod to your car or are you just using the standard USB dock connector?

If you use the Y-cable (available through your BMW dealership after sales parts department), you will have full ipod integration. If you use the ipod USB dock connector, you will only have access to the actual songs data files (similar to just using a USB stick).
The Y-cable connects to the aux and USB connection in your center console and the dock connector on your ipod. The little box between the different connectors on the Y-cable translates commands sent from the iDrive controller via the USB interface into a serial data stream that controls the ipod. The ipod in turn decodes the selected song and outputs it as an analog signal via the dock connector which the Y-cable then connects to the aux-in connector in your center console.

If you use the standard ipod USB dock connector, the iDrive controller will 'see' the songs as data files and read them through the USB interface and decode them for playback through the cars speakers.

The Y-cable was added to the 2009 model year as part of the 6FL option and your dealer SHOULD have supplied this cable with your car when you picked it up!

Hope this helps you.
+1 operator or dealer error. Ge tthe right cables and you should be good to go.
      10-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
VKM2F
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 xDrive50i

Wow. You guys are good.

I'll go find the Y-cable and give it a try. Thanks again!

VKM2F
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
gnjuss
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M5

Sounds like the very same problem that I had,the Y cable helped me out,you should definately get one
Appreciate 0