XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Sammydtd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50

Please guys, can I get some info regarding this power discharge software update???

My dealer is clueless, and I've gone through two different batteries already! Has anyone done anything regarding this issue? I also have the ipod connected through the y cable at all times, does this drain power?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Weird.

#1: If the battery is going down while the car is not in use, obviously you either have a short or something that should switch off isn't switching off. It should take your dealer about 30 seconds to test the iPod Y-cable when the ignition is off. I doubt it is live without the ignition, though. (Simple test: Unplug it and see if the battery still drains. Doh.)

#2: Intermittent electrical drains like this are, unfortunately, not that uncommon in BMWs. If the cause isn't obvious, diagnosing them can be a pig. The dealer doesn't want to do it because BMW pays him by the job, not by the hour. Any extended diagnosis is on his nickel. However, that should be his problem, not yours. I would be inclined to leave the car at the dealer, take a loaner, and say you don't want the X6 back until it is fixed.

#3: Even if your battery is draining, you shouldn't need a new battery. Twice. If it was just once, I would suspect a faulty battery. But not twice.

Good luck. There are few things more frustrating than this type of problem, both for you and for the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammydtd View Post
My dealer is clueless, and I've gone through two different batteries already! Has anyone done anything regarding this issue? I also have the ipod connected through the y cable at all times, does this drain power?
I have my ipod connected all the time and no discharge. It has been connected continuously for about 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I have my ipod connected all the time and no discharge. It has been connected continuously for about 2 months.
+2. I've had the iPod connected for over 4 months - ever since I got the X6. I only disconnect occasionally when I go to the gym. I've not experienced any issues related to power. As Suzie's Dad says - these issues can be a real pain to fix, but the dealer should be able to test all the usual suspects by using an ampmeter to check battery output whilst disconnecting each possible option.... there should not be too many systems to check - most likely are iDrive, HiFi and Navi. The only other option to consider is whether the problem is actually the Alternator or other part of the charging system - therefore causing the battery to discharge through normal use but not to be recharged.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammydtd View Post
Have you requested the BMW area rep visit your dealer while your X6 is there? This does not sound like the software power drain issue that came up a few years ago. More than likely a one off issue since no one else is reporting it.
      10-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Since you are living in Syria, I guess you are a heavy air-con user. I know this is causing trouble to car batteries. I used to drive a Ford once (well. . ) in Kansas in mid summer and the air-con was almost at max. Over 38 deg. Celsius outside. And the engine just died. In the middle of the f. street. While driving. It just died.

So if you use air con at high level, have lights turned on, Navi is on, music is on, you recharge your cel phone and also have a refrigerator hooked up to the cigarette lighter socket. . I guess it can happen to drain your battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Do a quick inspection to make sure you don't have glove compartment, roof lights, etc. that are on. I remember once with an Audi the battery kept draining due to a fault in the glove compartment light which was continuously on.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Me too. Mine is always connected.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
The only other option to consider is whether the problem is actually the Alternator or other part of the charging system - therefore causing the battery to discharge through normal use but not to be recharged.
+1. You can check this easily with a simple $10 voltmeter. Just measure the voltage each time you switch off. (The X5 has a positive terminal in the engine compartment on the front of the firewall. I imagine the X6 does too.) A fully charged battery should read about 13 volts. If it drops with each measurement, you may be on track to find the problem. 10 volts is fully discharged.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Weird.

#1: If the battery is going down while the car is not in use, obviously you either have a short or something that should switch off isn't switching off. It should take your dealer about 30 seconds to test the iPod Y-cable when the ignition is off. I doubt it is live without the ignition, though. (Simple test: Unplug it and see if the battery still drains. Doh.)

#2: Intermittent electrical drains like this are, unfortunately, not that uncommon in BMWs. If the cause isn't obvious, diagnosing them can be a pig. The dealer doesn't want to do it because BMW pays him by the job, not by the hour. Any extended diagnosis is on his nickel. However, that should be his problem, not yours. I would be inclined to leave the car at the dealer, take a loaner, and say you don't want the X6 back until it is fixed.

#3: Even if your battery is draining, you shouldn't need a new battery. Twice. If it was just once, I would suspect a faulty battery. But not twice.

Good luck. There are few things more frustrating than this type of problem, both for you and for the dealer.
Good sound advise, I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW X6 35i

I agree with Anteater, sounds suspicious for a faulty alternator. Make sure they take a look at that while under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Sammydtd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50

Wow, thanks guys! That's a lot of responses, and a ton of great advice. I will have them look at the alternator and measure the battery volts at several intervals. So I assume no one has had their x6's software upgraded for this particular issue?

Since I got back from my trip almost two weeks ago, I haven't had a problem, barring for a morning when my clock had reset. I'll also try to look for some lights which might be on continuously.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

good luck!
Appreciate 0