XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
theBIGguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05' GMC Yukon Denali XL

A little help.

Hey guys, im looking for a new vehicle and im having a little bit of a tough time. I really liked the x6 when i heard about it, and when ive seen it in person, i fell in love with it, also my friend just got a new 335i coupe and i started to like the whole Euro, more sporty car category. Im a big guy, im 6'4 280 pounds and i drive a big gas guzzling, but comfortable Denali that i want to get rid of. Im looking into the X6 and the new FX35...Ive sat in both cars and of course they arent as comfortable as my Denali for me, but i really like them both. I really like the ride of bmw, and i really like the ride of the FX, im not a big performance driver but to me the bmw takes the ride aspect to a different level as i noticed. The FX wins in the whole interior and general category, its really impressive all around, (however i really like the X6's kneepads, they work well for me as my knee rubs against the console.) Its a big toss up, i like both designs, they both have weak and strong points for me.

Anyway, to the point..i live in queens, ny and i drive back and forth to manhattan (NYC) for work, about a 30 minute, often heavily trafficed ride. I park in the city as well, overall i do a lot of driving id say. So one point that concerns me is the mpg.. ive read and the dealer told me it was around 17mpg city...and thats acceptable because im not a penny pincher for gas, but i do spend around 200 a week for my dam truck and it gets 10-11 mpg, so 17 is ok for me. But my friend who has the 335i coupe told me i would probably get closer to 14 mpg, which in that case, id go ahead and get a new Escalade for about 40 grand haha..I figured my friend was making a valid statement because if im not mistaken, the x6 and 335i share the same engine, and he said they way i drive (fast often 70mph, heavy footed), id get around 14mpg.

Id really love to get the X6, i want to make the switch from my somewhat chronic attraction to big trucks...but in my case between the gas mileage (if that 14 mpg wasnt true, correct me), the size, and basically overall satisfaction of owning the X6, is it worth it to make that switch in terms of all those factors applying to my situation? Is it really the car for me?

i really appreciate ANY input you guys got...

-Frank
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Frank:

The attraction of the X6 is its sporty looks and its phenomenal roadholding... plus all the usual BMW features like road feel, class, etc. The attraction of the FX35 seems to be its electronic gizmos and its general road feel, plus the fact that Nissan tends to build reliable cars. But it seems to me that if you are a plus size physically and spend most of your time in urban traffic, maybe that Escalade might make more sense for you. My wife drives an M3 cabriolet which is a truly wonderful car, but if I had to drive it on a daily basis I would very quickly fall out of love with it: narrow seats (narrower than my butt!), seat belts that pull down on my shoulder, and generally too low (I like the SUV view of the road). Be careful you don't get something you will tire of quickly!

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Frank:

The attraction of the X6 is its sporty looks and its phenomenal roadholding... plus all the usual BMW features like road feel, class, etc. The attraction of the FX35 seems to be its electronic gizmos and its general road feel, plus the fact that Nissan tends to build reliable cars. But it seems to me that if you are a plus size physically and spend most of your time in urban traffic, maybe that Escalade might make more sense for you. My wife drives an M3 cabriolet which is a truly wonderful car, but if I had to drive it on a daily basis I would very quickly fall out of love with it: narrow seats (narrower than my butt!), seat belts that pull down on my shoulder, and generally too low (I like the SUV view of the road). Be careful you don't get something you will tire of quickly!

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.
+1 M3 is a great car to drive on occasion.

However I would opt for a more compliant ride day in and day out. The 5/X5/X6/7 do the best at delivering the best mixed of handling and comfort.

The 3 series and X3 in general have bouncy/taught rides that are down right annoying after a while even without run flat tires.
      10-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
+1 M3 is a great car to drive on occasion.

However I would opt for a more compliant ride day in and day out. The 5/X5/X6/7 do the best at delivering the best mixed of handling and comfort.

The 3 series and X3 in general have bouncy/taught rides that are down right annoying after a while even without run flat tires.
+2. I do the daily commute of 30 miles each way from suburbs into center of Chicago - a journey that is mainly highway but in BUSY nose-to-tail traffic which is start/stop most of the way for the last 20 miles (average time to cover the 30 miles is 1 hour inbound, a little less outbound). My average consumption over the course of the week is 17.8 MPG - and has been consistently from around 4000 miles on the clock to my current 11,000. I can tell you that the X6 (35i) is really comfortable for my commute - and I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. At the end of the day - it just depends what you want. There are a number of vehicles out there which will keep you smooth and cosseted on your commute - but will never give you the grin factor of the X6 when the highway clears ahead of you and you put your foot down..... You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

Cheers, Anteater.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
+2. I do the daily commute of 30 miles each way from suburbs into center of Chicago - a journey that is mainly highway but in BUSY nose-to-tail traffic which is start/stop most of the way for the last 20 miles (average time to cover the 30 miles is 1 hour inbound, a little less outbound). My average consumption over the course of the week is 17.8 MPG - and has been consistently from around 4000 miles on the clock to my current 11,000. I can tell you that the X6 (35i) is really comfortable for my commute - and I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. At the end of the day - it just depends what you want. There are a number of vehicles out there which will keep you smooth and cosseted on your commute - but will never give you the grin factor of the X6 when the highway clears ahead of you and you put your foot down..... You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

Cheers, Anteater.
+3 and if you have the butt paddles long rides don't wear on you as much. Most of the folks that have the 35i report good mileage, then there's the fun factor nothing beats a BMW in this category (before the auto PC crowd goes off , ok there are a few others).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
theBIGguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05' GMC Yukon Denali XL

thanks for the replies guys...wow 17 mpg? not bad...Well im going to be making my way down to florida before thanksgiving, ill be making a florida purchase and insure it there...which means im going to drive whatever suv i get all the way back up to new york
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
King Bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBIGguy View Post
thanks for the replies guys...wow 17 mpg? not bad...Well im going to be making my way down to florida before thanksgiving, ill be making a florida purchase and insure it there...which means im going to drive whatever suv i get all the way back up to new york
I live in queens and I get 15 mpg going to manhattan during rush hour. So that is as real world as you can get since your commute is the same.

-King Bimmer
Appreciate 0