XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #23
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Blaming the zoo because it wasn't idiot-proof enough doesn't sit well with me. Personal responsibility is important. Thousands of kids have visited that exhibit... no one else has ever had an issue....so I doubt it was so poorly constructed that a 4 year old could get through in a matter of seconds.....unless they had just come out of the spider exhibit where he was bitten by a genetically engineered arachnid.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 3
      05-31-2016, 02:51 AM   #24
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Every parent knows that it is impossible to keep your eyes on your kids every single second of the day. Especially at a zoo where the primary purpose of the zoo is to distract the attendants (ie to look at the animals). And that doesn't include dodging other people, watching where you're walking, talking to the cashier when you're buying souvenirs, etc.. This may have happened to any other parent. Blame here goes to the zoo for not securing the enclosure properly. Agree though that the mom should have kept her mouth shut.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 03:25 AM   #25
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
You should not keep your eyes away for 1 second from a 4 year old. End of story. Usually more because of weirdos roaming around. Plenty of stories of pedophiles in public places...
That mother should be charged.
Even though it will never replace the poor animal, it will teach her a lesson...and reimburse the taxpayers for the cost of the first responders.
I don't disagree... HOWEVER... being the father of 3 myself, I can absolutely see how this could happen (that is, a 4 year old slipping away) even when you are paying attention. If it is one on one, then there really isn't an excuse. If you have several kids with you, a child can absolutely get out of your sight even when you are diligent. I'm just suggesting it happens to the best parent and people shouldn't be so quick to judge
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 06:35 AM   #26
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
It's the lady's lucky day...she'll be tossing in a law suit here in a few months just like the mother that lost her son to the spotted dogs in the Pittsburgh zoo did. And that case...she was holding the 2 year old on the railing and he slipped.

Don't matter how dumb people are, there's always money in it for them.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Charge the mother with child neglect and take her to civil court for all costs related to the incident. And I say that as a parent of two small children
100% Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
As a parent of four grown kids I fully agree. No excuse. Sure it took more than 2 or 3 seconds for that kid to locate the fence, slip through it and walk away.
And someone said she was responsible for a group of kids?
Give me a break! Let her spend a few days in jail. Her kid won't notice she is gone anyway...
She was distracted for much longer than that AND the child had already announced his intention to get into the cage. At that point, she should have had him in hand until they left the zoo. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
though i don't agree with this lady, anyone bashing her for losing track of the kid(assuming it was quick) isn't a parent them self. My son is 6 and 1 or 2 times a 1 second distraction has caused issues with him. Thank god never major. Another time i was at a car show in nyc with my 10 year old daughter and i turned to say hi to someone and turned back and she was gone. As it turned out she kept walking with my friend but it was terrifying. Other parents feel free to post your horror stores or lets keep judging her like for 18 years you never had a lapse
I'm sorry but I disagree. I have an 18 y/o daughter and I never lost her at any point, because I knew that it could be the end.

My wife and her goofy sister let her get away in NYC in our hotel when she wanted pop corn from a kiosk in the hotel. They walked into the room and I asked, 'Where is XXXX?' they both looked dumbfounded and said, 'We thought she was up here'. We went back down and luckily she was sitting on the fountain. She was about 6 at the time with long hair and green eyes. I read them the riot act and I was so incensed that I almost ended the vacation. We got lucky. Extremely lucky.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

For those that felt the Zoo's actions were too extreme:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/n...lled/85181272/

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/05...killing-nr.cnn

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jack-han...mbe-justified/
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #29
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
though i don't agree with this lady, anyone bashing her for losing track of the kid(assuming it was quick) isn't a parent them self. My son is 6 and 1 or 2 times a 1 second distraction has caused issues with him. Thank god never major. Another time i was at a car show in nyc with my 10 year old daughter and i turned to say hi to someone and turned back and she was gone. As it turned out she kept walking with my friend but it was terrifying. Other parents feel free to post your horror stores or lets keep judging her like for 18 years you never had a lapse
Gosh, it's like I didn't say it in my original post...

I am a parent, of a 5.5 yr old and a 4 yr old. I don't lose track of them. Period. Including a 7 day trip to Disney Land and various other amusement park trips and zoos and such.
      05-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #30
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
the gorilla should have not been killed but tranquilized with the correct amount of dosage per weight.

honestly do you think these animals are happy in their enclosures?

when they can be in their regular habitat, they are locked in for human entertainment. this topic can go on and on.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I don't understand the fucking outrage. it's fucking child, jesus it's a no brainer, you terminate the animal as fast as you can.

Yeah the poor thing should not be in a zoo to begin with but that's another whole can of worms given some cunt would likely have killed him by now to use his hand as an ashtray.
Appreciate 3
      05-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #32
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Hope this hasn't already been discussed. Searched but didn't see anything. Been reading the story of how this gorilla was killed after an unattended child fell into his enclosure. Just wondering what others think? It appears the gorilla was actually trying to protect the child but unfortunately zoo keepers felt killing him was still the best option. Today I saw a letter from the boy's mom that just made me all that much more mad:

“I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers today,” she wrote. “What started off as a wonderful day turned into a scary one. For those of you that have seen the news or been on social media that was my son that fell in the gorilla exhibit at the zoo. God protected my child until the authorities were able to get him. My son is safe and was able to walk away with a concussion and a few scrapes...no broken bones or internal injuries.”

She continued, “As a society we are quick to judge how a parent could take their eyes off of their child and if anyone knows me I keep a tight watch on my kids. Accidents happen but I am thankful that the right people were in the right place today. Thank you to everyone that helped me and my son today and most importantly God for being the awsome [sic] God that He is.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but I'd like to tell this zealot to jump straight up her own ass. This pathetic excuse for a parent allowed her son to do something that caused this animal's death....then she has the nerve to thank god for it. Really makes me hate people.
Once you bring in God to defend the fact that you're a piece of shit, you know you're dealing with garbage.

Besides, if God did have a hand in it, He'd of probably at least made sure that her shithead son didn't end up in a gorilla enclosure.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I don't understand the fucking outrage. it's fucking child, jesus it's a no brainer, you terminate the animal as fast as you can.

Yeah the poor thing should not be in a zoo to begin with but that's another whole can of worms given some cunt would likely have killed him by now to use his hand as an ashtray.
The outrage is over the shithead mom who can't be bothered to watch her kid then her nerve to act like she did nothing wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #34
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
the gorilla should have not been killed but tranquilized with the correct amount of dosage per weight.

when they can be in their regular habitat, they are locked in for human entertainment. this topic can go on and on.
Yes...because tranqs kick in immediately...

Plus it depends on the animal. You don't have to worry about starving to death or being eaten so there's that.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #35
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
how can u blame the zoo, its not like gorilla got out of his enclosure and became a threat to every1.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #36
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how can u blame the zoo, its not like gorilla got out of his enclosure and became a threat to every1.
Not sure if that's directed towards me, but I'm not blaming the zoo. They, unfortunately, did what they had to.

I know people who are zookeepers, and I can say that shooting that gorilla was probably the absolute last thing they wanted to do but they had no choice.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #37
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Yes...because tranqs kick in immediately...
Oh don't you know? Tranquilizers work just like in the movies! In no way, shape, or form would it not be instantaneous.

Oh wait, they don't work like that. Thanks Obama.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #38
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
it wasnt towards you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Not sure if that's directed towards me, but I'm not blaming the zoo. They, unfortunately, did what they had to.

I know people who are zookeepers, and I can say that shooting that gorilla was probably the absolute last thing they wanted to do but they had no choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #39
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

As I posted earlier, that's what they did at the Palm Beach Zoo to a tiger that attached a zookeeper, who was a trained professional and did not belong in the area where she was attacked. The zookeeper was killed and the zoo was criticized for using a tranquilizer instead of killing the tiger.

Tranquilizers do not take immediate effect and can result in unpredictable reactions. Regardless of how the kid got in there, the priority must be to get him out alive.
      05-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #40
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
dont they put the most aggressive animals in cages if the zookeeper has to drop off food or for cleaning?
most animals are aggressive when intruder is in their territory, who doesnt know this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
As I posted earlier, that's what they did at the Palm Beach Zoo to a tiger that attached a zookeeper, who was a trained professional and did not belong in the area where she was attacked. The zookeeper was killed and the zoo was criticized for using a tranquilizer instead of killing the tiger.

Tranquilizers do not take immediate effect and can result in unpredictable reactions. Regardless of how the kid got in there, the priority must be to get him out alive.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #41
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Tough situation for all involved. No one ever wants to have to face something like this, but I agree the decision to prioritize the child's life over the gorilla's was appropriate. I don't understand the outrage over thanking God for protecting her child, seems like some of you just need to get a jab in on Christianity any time you can.

Rather than playing the blame game, I would propose that we work on solutions to keep this from happening in the future.
      05-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I don't understand the outrage over thanking God for protecting her child, seems like some of you just need to get a jab in on Christianity any time you can.
I don't discriminate with religion, they are all as silly as each other. A grown adult believing in fairytales does my head in. On top of that, if there was a god, "thanking" them is the height of stupidity, why did said god not intervene before the child fell in?

Idiocy.
Appreciate 3
      05-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #43
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Tough situation for all involved. No one ever wants to have to face something like this, but I agree the decision to prioritize the child's life over the gorilla's was appropriate. I don't understand the outrage over thanking God for protecting her child, seems like some of you just need to get a jab in on Christianity any time you can.
Well to be fair, if God had any role in this, He'd of probably made sure the kid wasn't in a gorilla enclosure in the first place.

I'm not trying to get any blows against a religion, just the dumbass mother who is using God as an excuse for being a shitty parent.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #44
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I don't discriminate with religion, they are all as silly as each other. A grown adult believing in fairytales does my head in. On top of that, if there was a god, "thanking" them is the height of stupidity, why did said god not intervene before the child fell in?

Idiocy.
Agreed x1000.

Either way, given that this has not happened, except for this time, since the zoo opened in 1978, I would submit that the zoo's design is fine, it is the stupidity of the mother and the child that is at fault.

Again, prosecute the mother for child neglect, AND sue her in civil court for all costs related to the incident.