XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

North Carolina Members

So the Navy decided that they needed me to move from San Diego, CA ,across the country, to North Carolina for the last 18 months of my 20 years of service. I'm not too happy with that decision. Not because I think NC sucks, I have never been there and know nothing about the place. Hence this post.
I'm soliciting information from members that live there or have lived there. I will be in Camp Lejeune, NC. Looks like the closest city is Jacksonville. Information on the weather/climate, crime, things to do/see, things not to do/see etc...... Those sort of things and any other things that you might think I should know.

At any rate. Thanks in advance for any information.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Never been there, know nothing about the place, thinks it sucks. lol

SD is pretty awesome, so i see how you can come to the conclusion that every place that isn't SD sucks. I've never been to eastern NC but western NC is a pretty cool place.

Still, pretty crappy to have to pick up and move for 18 months to finish up your service. Are you planning on leaving the family in SD most of the time?
      03-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Family is coming along. Wife is active duty as well. So we are all trekking cross country.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Doc View Post
So the Navy decided that they needed me to move from San Diego, CA ,across the country, to North Carolina for the last 18 months of my 20 years of service. I'm not too happy with that decision. Not because I think NC sucks, I have never been there and know nothing about the place. Hence this post.
I'm soliciting information from members that live there or have lived there. I will be in Camp Lejeune, NC. Looks like the closest city is Jacksonville. Information on the weather/climate, crime, things to do/see, things not to do/see etc...... Those sort of things and any other things that you might think I should know.

At any rate. Thanks in advance for any information.
I've done a one week exercise with the engineer marines about 3 years ago in camp Lejeune. I believe I was there in January, and it was pretty nice. It wasn't too cold and it didn't rain the time I was there.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Rain I'm ok with. Not looking forward to any snow. My like for the snow ends at skiing on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Who did you piss off to get stationed in Camp Lejuene? I spent 6 months there, the place is very boring. Crime wasn't too bad back in 2010, but it could've changed by now. The locals of course will hate you and everyone goes to the same Walmart or Texas Roadhouse.

I lived on base but I heard the gate takes an average of 40mins to get through during peak times. Same way leaving base.

The base tends to flood during heavy rain and the weather gets very hot in the summer and a pretty cold winter.
      03-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Who did you piss off to get stationed in Camp Lejuene? I spent 6 months there, the place is very boring. Crime wasn't too bad back in 2010, but it could've changed by now. The locals of course will hate you and everyone goes to the same Walmart or Texas Roadhouse.

I lived on base but I heard the gate takes an average of 40mins to get through during peak times. Same way leaving base.

The base tends to flood during heavy rain and the weather gets very hot in the summer and a pretty cold winter.
Lol. I don't know who I pissed off. Could be that my detailer and most detailers in the navy really don't care about the individuals wants. I plan on living on base initially but after that will have to see how that goes.

Why would the locals hate me? Assume that you mean military members in general and not me particularly.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Lol. I don't know who I pissed off. Could be that my detailer and most detailers in the navy really don't care about the individuals wants. I plan on living on base initially but after that will have to see how that goes.

Why would the locals hate me? Assume that you mean military members in general and not me particularly.
It's just years of douchebaggary from the junior Marines that soured the locals. It could be different now as I haven't been in Jacksonville in 6 years.
      03-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

I see. Yeah, I have experienced that in Okinawa.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Hey NavyDoc,

It's not San Diego (always 76 and sunny, one of my favorite cities!). But Coastal NC isn't bad. While I haven't spent a lot of time near Camp Lejune, I have spent a lot of time near Wilmimgton and it's a great area. You're not far from the outer banks, which are terrific. Myrtle Beach isn't too far and while touristy, it can be a lot of fun, especially if you like to golf.

So hopefully y'all can make the most of it, the cost of living will probably be 25%
less than SoCal and it's a pretty nice area.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
NavyDoc

I've spent a lot of time in SD for work and lived in NC for about 20 months. I lived in Raleigh-Durham and traveled extensively in North and South Carolina. The people are nice and the area relatively easy to navigate. I kept my head down and worked for the time in NC as I knew that is was a temporary move and didn't take full advantage of the area. If I had to do it again, I'd take advantage of the proximity to the coast as well as the mountains.

I lived in a suburb of Raleigh called Cary and crime was almost nonexistent. They do have all 4 seasons in NC but are rarely prepared for heavy snow and ice. Roads were closed pretty quickly in those conditions. That's all I have.

I'd ping Axius and ASBSECU E93 as they both live in the area and would be happy to share info with you.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

OP - I have lived close to where you are moving, as well as Ft. Bragg.

NC (as a whole) is a fantastic place to live - and I have lived from Asheville to the New Bern.

As another post mentioned - it isn't 75-80 year round and absolutely isn't San Diego.

While it is close to Wilmington, and Carolina Beach - Jacksonville has historically had a reputation for being a rougher little town. You have ECU (Greenville) to the due North and Wilmington to the due South. The Dirty Myrtle is also a short distance away.

The Outer Banks are spectacular, but not much to do as far a 'Culture'. Raleigh is about an hour away, but again - none of these places are San Diego.

One thing - Wilmington is home to the NC BMW CCA.

As far as the weather - you'll have the four seasons, but summer is most dominant. Snow is highly unlikely in any serious accumulations. Pollen will play HAVOC on your body. Hurricanes are a real and present threat until mid-November.

Charleston SC is a much better get away than Myrtle Beach IMO. Far more culture and memorable sights to see.

Edit: If you like or play any Volleyball - check out Captin' Bills in Wilmington. Cool place to have a burger and brew, and watch/play some high quality VB.

Last edit () - Not sure what your taste in food is like, but it is about to be turned upside down. BBQ is KING in NC. Eastern style BBQ is mostly vinegar based sauce, but you can get a sauce based that is a little sweeter if you look around. Also - EVERYTHING is fried in the South. EVERYTHING...

Fresh Fish from the Atlantic is a given though...

Heat, Oppressive humidity, mosquitos, and you're in luck!! This year is the life cycle of Cicada's here in the South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.

Last edited by ASBSECU E93; 03-20-2016 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

sorry to hear about the San Diego to North Carolina relocation. that's gotta suck.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Alot of good info. Thanks all again for the insight. I will miss SoCal. Lived here practically my whole life.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Navy Doc - Couple other items I forgot to mention...

The NC Coast is famous as a shipwreck graveyard. Being a Navy man - I am sure you'll appreciate the maritime history Wilmington NC offers.

That's the good - the bad...wildlife. The rural coastal areas of NC are full of dangerous wildlife, especially snakes (Rattlesnake, Cottonmouth, and Copperhead) and alligators. Predator animals, everything from Bobcats (Lynx), to Black Bear, to wild boar....and then you have spiders and scorpions. Black Widow and Brown Recluse spiders are native to the SE US - and NC is FULL of these little bastards. Don't get me started on the fire ants...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Honestly, NC is a pretty neat state to live in. It's pretty laid back, and if you don't mind traveling a bit of distance, there's a ton of cool historical places to check out, go into the mountains and go camping, Myrtle Beach has a pretty sweet bike week if you like women in leathers, etc.

If you ever want to meet up, there's a few of us that have gotten together and I'm always up for meeting new people. We will lead you to the shenanigans and make sure your stay here is enjoyable.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #17
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Axius - stop being so nice...I'm trying to keep those SoCal types out of our wonderful....I mean terrible state!!!!

You know, those types like: C5driver, shoei, Mr.SugarSkulls, and heck - I'd even throw in EstorilM in with this list

1MOREMOD is cool and can visit as LONG as he likes
Quote:

Last edited by ASBSECU E93; 03-21-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #18
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Honestly, NC is a pretty neat state to live in. It's pretty laid back, and if you don't mind traveling a bit of distance, there's a ton of cool historical places to check out, go into the mountains and go camping, Myrtle Beach has a pretty sweet bike week if you like women in leathers, etc.

If you ever want to meet up, there's a few of us that have gotten together and I'm always up for meeting new people. We will lead you to the shenanigans and make sure your stay here is enjoyable.
Thanks appreciate that. All of my family and friends are here in SoCal. Far as driving.......love to drive. Have put a lot of miles on the e93. Not to kean on those wildlife. More concerned with my kids than myself.

ASBSECU: don't worry it's only for a short period. 😊

One more thing, I forgot to put on my initial post. How's the availability of parts/service for our cars? Are they far and few or pretty decent? Any where, that's trustworthy and knowledgable, that you recommend for such things?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #19
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Thanks appreciate that. All of my family and friends are here in SoCal. Far as driving.......love to drive. Have put a lot of miles on the e93. Not to kean on those wildlife. More concerned with my kids than myself.

ASBSECU: don't worry it's only for a short period. 😊

One more thing, I forgot to put on my initial post. How's the availability of parts/service for our cars? Are they far and few or pretty decent? Any where, that's trustworthy and knowledgable, that you recommend for such things?
BMW of Wilmington as far as dealers - Bimmer Performance Center in Raleigh is an great alternative to the dealer.

If you like drives - Sea to the Mtns is a must. Visit the Biltmore House and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #20
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
BMW of Wilmington as far as dealers - Bimmer Performance Center in Raleigh is an great alternative to the dealer.

If you like drives - Sea to the Mtns is a must. Visit the Biltmore House and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Sounds like a plan. You guys ever get together for meets? Been meaning to with the OC guys here but never works out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Love California! What a state...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #22
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. You guys ever get together for meets? Been meaning to with the OC guys here but never works out.
I know the Wilmington crowd is very active - C&C especially. BMWCCA is based in Wilmington.

Just a FYI - Wilmington to Asheville is a 5 1/2 hour drive.

Asheville is also beer city USA

BMW Performance Center is in Greenville SC - also about a 4 1/2 hour drive.
Quote:
Appreciate 0