XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
ttype
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon to be X5

Need help/advice on a 07/08 X5

It's been awhile since I have owned a BMW. This one is for my wife. Currently we are trying to unload our current sport utility in hopes of stepping into a 07 or 08 X5. I am no stranger to a wrench, as I own, wrench and tune my own 1000hp Buick GN. That being said I have done research on this vehicle, but the reviews to fair too well. Allow me to state my families needs, and you guys with experience on this SUV please let me know if this is a suitable SUV for my family. My wife is a very passive driver, but drives a lot. Majority of her driving is done within a 20min window, car pooling our kids to school/gymnastics with the occasional tournament 3 to 4 hours away 2 to 3 times a year. If it was up to me I would want the biggest engine in this SUV, but my wife isn't looking for anything that will keep her at the pumps 2 days a week. She is looking for reliability (if that exists), fuel economy and comfort.
What are common issues with this year X5? how reliable are they? Below is exactly how she wants it to look like. What X5 will fit our families needs. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice you can give us in making a sound decision on our next SUV. I hope to be a active user on this site provided we can find a X5 that suits our needs.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

35d for best milage, but I think that came out in 2009. Otherwise the 30i. The model you posted has sport package, running boards and 20" sport wheels. With an 07 I wouldn't expect it to be as reliable as a newer model but that also all depends on milage and maintenece. What is your budget?
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
ttype
Canada
Rep

budget is around 25k

Usually with some SUV's certain years didn't fair too well in terms of issues, which were corrected in the newer years. Is there a certain year for the X5 that is problematic to other years? If so, which one? just want to know what to look out for when making this choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I personally always go for looks and creature comforts over a heavy or powerful engine, but I'd stay away from the 30i. It's unfortunately slightly underpowered for the X5. The 35i made a significant improvement there. We've had four X5s in my family, and the diesels always fared well. Just don't think you'll get a big improvement in MPG comparing a 35d to a 35i for example. However, the torque in the diesel will keep you smiling.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

1st off - welcome to the forum. I'm currently looking for an X5 as well, though newer than what you're after.

If you're wife wants her X5 to look 'exactly' like the one you posted (20" wheels - style 214), the only 2007/2008 model with those wheels is the the 4.8i (V8). Mileage is rated at 14/19. Of course you could always find a used set if you bought one w/o those wheels. The 3.0 N/A I6 motor is rated at 15/21 for mileage...not much better than the V8.

You say you want the biggest engine available...obviously the V8 is the way to go with 350/350, while the I6 is 260/225.

How many kids will your wife be driving around? Do you need a 3rd row? If yes it's extremely cramped and not well suited for kids above 10 or 12, IMO. My girls are 7 & 9 and I had them climb back there on a vehicle we were looking at, and they couldn't get out of there fast enough.

As noted above I'm looking for a newer model so I haven't researched the 4.8i much (it's last year was 2010), but I have read some good, and not so good posts on here about the 4.8i in regards to reliability. Maybe some owners can provide their input though...

Hopefully this helps...I'd just spend some time on here searching through the various threads....lots of good information here
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
ttype
Canada
Rep

I appreciate the help guys, more then you know. The size of the engine for us is based on efficiency, not speed or power. My wife drives like a turtle, but loves the looks of the one pictured above. If a certain year that you guys suggest doesn't come that way (whether it be a V6 or V8), I can always hunt for a 20" set somewhere online. my wife travels with my 2 daughters all the time. Not interested in the 3rd row as it is absolutely useless even for a midget. It seems when you google reviews on this SUV all the negitive stuff is posted and fairly the success stories. That's why I made the post in hopes of finding real life scenarios to base my decision on. Please keep the comments coming. I'm very interested in knowing more about this SUV.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I'd definitely buy one with warranty, either factory warranty (unlikely in your case considering your budget) or a CPO BMW.

I saw that BMW Canbec had a 2009 X5 3.0i for sale, with 51,000 kilometers on the clock, and is CPO, listed for $29K. A bit above your budget, but you should be able to get within your budget if you played it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
doctexas
Enlisted - in need of promotion
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 4.8i

Garage List
I currently own a 2008 E70 X5 4.8i and I have owned it since 3000 miles. Currently have 86,000 miles and I love this X5. It is my second one I have owned and my first one I traded in with 186,000 miles on it! I drive it as my daily driver and have taken it to the ski slopes 10+ times. It handles well in the snow and offers great reassurance on long road trips. I have had no big issues other than routine maintenance. There has been some peeling of painted trim in the interior that seems to have plagued many BMWs, but inexpensive to replace as needed to keep car looking new. This vehicle has been very reliable, but that is because I am meticulous with maintenance. I had the CPO 6 year warranty and extended maintenance protection plan. Nevertheless, my 6 years is up on the warranty and maintenance and I have a great mechanic that I trust that does all of my work and service for 60% cheaper than any dealership. Gas mileage has been an issue, as I have a heavy foot and I enjoy spirited driving. I usually get about 14-16mpg in the city and about 20mpg on the highway. If you have any focused questions about this vehicle, ask away. Good luck with your search. I plan on purchasing a 2014/2015 X5 35d or 50 only when I am tired of mine, which may be a long time away!

I do recommend finding one with CPO warranty and extendable maintenance if you can, especially if you are purchasing pre-owned. That way you can get things changed / fixed / serviced in order to keep it running like new. If not, find a reliable mechanic that you trust to do routine maintenance for you. The 4.8i does require 8.5-9 liters of oil, so it can get expensive with oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Are you buying in Canada or the US? Pricing in the US tend to be lower, but will you have to pay import duty?

There are several in your price range at BMW of Minnetonka - http://www.bmwofminnetonka.com/searc...&pt=1&model=X5 ...

If you are interested, PM me (or email: bezems@rcn.com), because I am currently negotiating on a newer X5 they have in inventory, and we could possibly leverage a dual purchase ...?

I have a 2011 50i for sale/trade, but not in your price range ...
Attached Images

03-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
ttype
Canada
Rep

PAX5- I'm going to stick to buying a X5 on this side of the border (Canadian soil). With our dollar at 90 cents to your dollar, plus duties and taxes would negate any benefits of driving 12 hours there and back to get one. I'm not going to pull the trigger until I have a better understanding of this SUV. Right now I'm doing my research and going to make a sound decision when it's time. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0