E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 E90 occasionally dieing

04-18-2024, 09:16 PM   #1
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

N55 E90 occasionally dieing

Over the past 5 months, my 2008 335i sedan will occasionally die. It has only occurred from idle condition. The tach reading just goes from say 650 rpm to zero. Hitting the starter button, the engine starts normally with no hesitation. If I am in a traffic jam the engine dying may occur several times in succession -- maybe every minute or so. Other than this occasional dying, the car runs very normally, even energetically.

My car has 97k miles on it, with new sparkplugs and filters about 20k miles ago. Other maintenance has been normal. The car had the HPFT replaced about 30k miles ago.

Two other episodes I should report: (1) About 4 months ago, I had the car on a road course, doing some instruction with my granddaughter. After a couple of sessions, I got the half engine warning and brought the car into the pits to determine what was going on. I borrowed a OBDII reader and erased the code and the car has run normally ever since. But not on the track since then. (2) A week ago I was driving the car and the acceleration was less than normal. It was as if the turbocharger was not allowed to boost the intake air pressure. It happens that the OBDII reader was in the car, so I hooked it up and found a code had been lodged. I erased the code and my boost returned, along with normal driving (other than occasionally dying because the idle RPM could not be maintained. Something is not right and I would appreciate input, as whatever is decided will determine where I take my car to be repaired.
Appreciate 0