XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-07-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 3.5i

X6 and X5 2011-2014 Front Driveshaft Recall

Got an alert a couple of weeks ago from "mycarfax" for my 2013 X6 I registered there about the front driveshaft recall. Had mine replaced yesterday. Here's the info I received:

Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #17V-138
Recall # 17V-138:249
FRONT DRIVESHAFT

Description:
The front driveshaft's universal joints may not have been produced to specifications. In rare cases, water and/or dirt may, over time, lead to corrosion resulting in noise or vibration. After prolonged driving under such conditions, the universal joint(s) may eventually break.

If the universal joint(s) broke, power to the front axle would no longer be available. However, power to the rear axle would still be available. After prolonged operation in such a condition, damage to additional components could occur, and continued driving would no longer be possible. Depending upon traffic conditions and the driver's reactions, this could increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy:
The remedy is available for some models. When you receive a letter informing you of this recall, please contact an authorized BMW center to schedule an appointment. The front driveshaft will be replaced free of charge.

Need more information about this recall? Find an authorized BMW dealer, email CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, or call 1-800-525-7417

You can also go to BMWUSA.COM and input your VIN number on the "Safety Recalls" page listed at the bottom of the homepage for more info.
Appreciate 0