XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 M

Cross-shopping a Cadillac CTS-V Wagon w/ the X5

My wife and I are expecting our third child this spring…our oldest is a 5yo girl & my son just turned 1yo. I am therefore selling my e46 M3 and looking at a more family-oriented vehicle. I had been set on getting a V8 (non-M) X5 as a replacement but recently read that Cadillac is producing a V wagon….I’ve been in love with the CTS sedan since I saw/sat in one at a Boston car show several years ago (I love both the interior & exterior styling). BTW, they also had a CTS wagon in red at the show; the wagon was a “concept” then. My wife (who in general hates wagons) loved the concept! I’ve been a wagon fan for decades, I drove several old-school wagons w/ wood panels after learning to drive decades ago!

I’m leaning towards going with the wagon but the X5 has a few advantages, IMO. First, I can order a third row seat in the X5. Admittedly, the third row seat in the X5 is tiny; however it is perfect for my daughter and is ideal for my family (for those not so rare occasions when I have to transport other family members/friends). Second, I believe the X5 may be a bit more practical than the wagon given the larger boot. Third, I’ve had 3 BMWs over the last decade and the last, my M3, has been very reliable for the 4+ years I’ve had it. Fourth, although I realize that although an X5 will never provide performance similar to the CTS-V wagon, it can be tuned for a somewhat reasonable price to about 500hp/500ft-lb tq.

Advantages for the wagon obviously include it’s appearance, interior (IMO), performance capabilities (& the fact that I can take the V wagon to a track!) & compliant suspension (from what I’ve read, I’ve test-driven the X5 but have not yet tested the CTS; I realize I won’t be able to find a CTS-V wagon to test drive so the sedan will have to do).

Finally, I realize that a minivan would be the most practical choice but I just can’t go there! Also, my wife has an Acura MDX so we already have a 7-seater in the family.

I’ve done research on Cadillac & Bimmer forums &, in general, owners of each love their vehicles; I’d love to hear thoughts on this comparison (this car would be my year-round daily driver & have a dedicated winter setup - 19s/20s for the Bimmer & 18s/19s for the Caddy).
      12-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have driven the CTS non V wagon and I was impressed by the ride. The car improved significantly in 2010. I found that the design and quality of the interior was not up to the X but then nor is the price!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
E53is
Rep
Drives: 11'X5M.03'X5 4.6is,05'viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
although I realize that although an X5 will never provide performance similar to the CTS-V wagon, it can be tuned for a somewhat reasonable price to about 500hp/500ft-lb tq.
).
get an x5m, 555hp, pretty much just as fast. it doesnt have a 3rd row though..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E53is View Post
get an x5m, 555hp, pretty much just as fast. it doesnt have a 3rd row though..
the price discrepancy is about $30-40K!