XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

need help with options for 35d

Thanks to some forum members I have settled on a 35d. Now just trying to put some options together for it.
So far I have: Alpine White, Oyster, and Bamboo.
Tech, Cold Wthr, Premium, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Multicontour seats, roof rails, and running boards. In order to have a comfortable payment I need to draw the line somewhere in the options dept. Would love comfort access but at $1k I think I can live without it. What I can't decide on is whether I should add the space saver spare and or the rear climate package. I'm planning on tinting the windows so I'm not sure I would need the window shades or the privacy glass. Most of the time our rear passengers will be in our suburban so I'm thinking the rear climate control isn't necessary either.

Would love a little input if there is something I need to add or reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Misha K
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

hey..i have a x5d with sport prem tech front heated roof rails and running boards..honestly i am missing sound package..had audi before..and they had a sick sound system..bose that is..i really miss it in this car..and i recently found out that if u dont get a space saver,,u dont get the jack or a tool to change ur wheel locks..learned the hard way...keyless entry is waste of money..everything esle u seem to get regardless..and u made a good point ,if u tingting it which idid 30% u dont really need those shades..so good luck my friend
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
Thanks to some forum members I have settled on a 35d. Now just trying to put some options together for it.
So far I have: Alpine White, Oyster, and Bamboo.
Tech, Cold Wthr, Premium, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Multicontour seats, roof rails, and running boards. In order to have a comfortable payment I need to draw the line somewhere in the options dept. Would love comfort access but at $1k I think I can live without it. What I can't decide on is whether I should add the space saver spare and or the rear climate package. I'm planning on tinting the windows so I'm not sure I would need the window shades or the privacy glass. Most of the time our rear passengers will be in our suburban so I'm thinking the rear climate control isn't necessary either.

Would love a little input if there is something I need to add or reconsider.
Space saver spare is well worth the $150 price tag. I passed on Comfort Access as well. I didn't get the cold weather package, settled for just front seat warmers as the headlight sprayer thing doesn't seem worthwhile for me (and messy from what i've seen in the past).

I'd pass on rear climate and get the windows tinted instead.

I also got comfort seats which brings me to another thought. At $2.2k, the sports package wasn't worth while to me. All it really bought was a black headliner and a different steering wheel (and sport seats but a mute point if you get the comfort seats). It does give you 19's but the only reason I really considered getting it was for the 214 20" wheels. I did the math and it came out more economical to get replicas and new non-runflat tires since to get the factory 20" wheels, it'd cost well over $3k ($950 for the wheel upgrade and $2200 for the sports package). I'd get the 18's and run snow tires on them and get the 20's for the rest of the year and still be ahead on $.

Running boards are a mixed blessing from what I've read on the forums. They're at an awkward height to really use and they get your pants dirty when entering and exiting the car. The only benefit is it blocks dirt that the tires kick up. My wife hated the aluminum and black dots on the board so we didn't get it.

Premium sound would have been nice for me but we were well over budget as it was....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
Space saver spare is well worth the $150 price tag. I passed on Comfort Access as well. I didn't get the cold weather package, settled for just front seat warmers as the headlight sprayer thing doesn't seem worthwhile for me (and messy from what i've seen in the past).

I'd pass on rear climate and get the windows tinted instead.

I also got comfort seats which brings me to another thought. At $2.2k, the sports package wasn't worth while to me. All it really bought was a black headliner and a different steering wheel (and sport seats but a mute point if you get the comfort seats). It does give you 19's but the only reason I really considered getting it was for the 214 20" wheels. I did the math and it came out more economical to get replicas and new non-runflat tires since to get the factory 20" wheels, it'd cost well over $3k ($950 for the wheel upgrade and $2200 for the sports package). I'd get the 18's and run snow tires on them and get the 20's for the rest of the year and still be ahead on $.

Running boards are a mixed blessing from what I've read on the forums. They're at an awkward height to really use and they get your pants dirty when entering and exiting the car. The only benefit is it blocks dirt that the tires kick up. My wife hated the aluminum and black dots on the board so we didn't get it.

Premium sound would have been nice for me but we were well over budget as it was....
I thought about passing on the sport but I really like the steering wheel. Also if you add comfort seats they are $900 instead of $1300 as a separate option.
Also, my understanding is that the wheel flares are wider when you order the 20" wheels, so I would have to change those out later down the road if I purchased the 20" wheels separate. God I hate the BMW nickels and dimes everything...but I'm one of the suckers that falls for it every time!

I would like something in place of the running boards. To me they are useless but do add a little something to the look of the car. Possibly thinking of adding the rocker panels that were released in the performance accessories. They are $400 vs. the $350 for the running boards.

The only reason I'm getting the cold weather pkg is for the heated steering wheel(always wanted that).

Does the space saver spare change the dimensions of the cargo area? I'm thinking that the floor would be raised because of this?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Well if you can swing it. Do it! That way there'd be no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
X5dieselfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011x53.5d

I did not get the comfort access at $1,000. I noticed the dealers are pre build with that option, it makes me think it has a big dealer profit margin. I like the running boards and the 20" in rim and tires, I love the look of the big wheels from the rear. The vehicle handles extremely well and the ride is not too harsh, even with the run flats.

I love the heated front seats and the heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
porkchop1221
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5d

I got the comfort access and love it. I'm not sure if its really worth the 1k but with my first baby on the way and my tendency to misplace keys and having to dig in my purse for a long time, etc. It's worth it.

I also got the rear climate because of the shades in the back. Looks really nice compared to aftermarket and again b/c of the new kid.

No running boards, I got in and out of one with one and I hated it. Akward!

No sport package for us b/c the 20 inches will not work well in the snowy weather.

I got the spare b/c I don't plan on replacing the run flats if they go. Its just to expensive. I did not opt for the 'tire insurance' because it was 1400. I should have shopped around and called other placed before I picked up the car b/c I heard that some people can sell it to you much cheaper but you HAVE to buy it before you drive it off the lot.

I did get the ext maintainance. I'm not sure if its a good deal but whatever. Its peace of mind for me. I've never owned a BMW so I'm not sure what the cost of repair will be.

I did not get the ext warrenty. I can get that later if I want.

I got the key replacement thingy - b/c if I lose one I think it costs like $300 to replace. The cost of the 5 year replacement was the same price!

I also got this other thing -- Nu care. Again it might just be a bunch of bull**** but it cost less than putting on the 3M bra and it covers the interior such as leather stains and cuts/holes. Dings, scuffs, small chips even in the windshield.

Most people problaby wouldn't buy into it and my husband would have been fine without any of it. I just wanted it b/c know my habits and it would make me feel more comfortable. I already scuffed up the front of the bumper (within 24 hour of picking it up!). If I didn't have that Nucare thing I would have been more upset.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Root
Rep
Drives: Old

I went with the

Tech Package,
Premium Package,
Cold Weather Package,
Premium Sound, and
Sport Activity 20"
Heated Rear seats
Comfort Access.
Roof Rack

Net Price was 56K

Comfort Access should be standard, and it's price tag isnt cheap but with small kids and lugging a bunch of stuff around I'll love the fact that I don't have to search my pockets for keys.

Heads Up Display seemed redundant and maybe a distraction. I didn't want to pay 1300 to find out I'd rather have it turned off.

Heated Rear seats replaced the rear climate package. I'll tint the windows on my own. I'm not a fan of the window shade.

I didn't opt for the space saver spare. It's so cheap though, you might as well get it.

The running board has has many complaints. I personally felt it made entering and exiting awkward.

If I could afford to upgrade the leather I would have ordered the Nappa.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Good choices on options. Well equipped but not priced so high.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
RL67POLO
Private
Rep
Drives: BLACK SAPHIRE X5

Garage List
2011 X5  [0.00]
so lucky u went comfort access, I regret that soooooooooooooooo much now.. i never knew sticking a square key fob in a car was so annoying
      12-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I'm cheap. I went with Premium, Cold Weather, rear heated seats, Nav and iPod (no Tech Package), running boards, roof rails and spare. I feel like the above is considered lightly equipped but it fits the budget (less than $60K MSRP) while I get to play with the toys (Nav and Combox). Didn't need the cameras or PDC and the winters here mandate 18s.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Would consider Comfort Access. Didn't like forking over $1k but convenience factor has made up for it. Especially when hands are full with kids, groceries. Just grab the door handle or tailgate and open.

Would not do Rear Climate if could re-order. OEM tint is rather light. Sunshades help but then darker tint would've done the job. Real world use, separate rear climate settings hasn't been really necessary. $900 better spent elsewhere.

Didn't order Space Saver. Not having spare isn't an issue given suburban driving and positive past experiences with RFTs. Flew home to find one of the tires flat. RFT made it real convenient to be able to drive home that night and then drive the next day to get the tire swapped. Also wife not inclined to change tire but rather press button for BMW Roadside Assistance. Small money saved but every nickel counts.

Passed on the Running Boards. Wife who is 5' tall tried with / without and said too narrow to be of much real use. No regrets.

Also no regrets with going for Front Heated Seats instead of Cold Weather. Would be nice to have heated steering wheel right now. But more money for use elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Well, I'm going from a pretty well appointed X6 to 011 X5 35D....Hoping for delivery before year-end...

Coming from the snow-belt - my thoughts:
Multi-contour seats, heated
Heated Steering Wheel
I'll never live without em....

Running boards? Love the looks, hate the scrapping on the pants

20's? Love the looks, am tired of swapping to winter shoes so I'm going 19" all seasons

Comfort Access -- had it once, never missed it - imo not worth near $1k..

I don't haul a lot of passengers so rear climate and heated seats not a concern for me.

I love the fat sport wheel, shadow trim and anthracite headliner, so Sport was a no-brainer

Adaptive drive is great, but not worth the $3500 to me

Premium Stereo I felt was a good investment

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 12-19-2010 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Trust me...I have had had 2 E70's....

GET THE ACTIVE SUSPENSION!!! It completely changes the car...night and day.

If I was doing it again and could only choose a single option...it was be the Active Suspension(Adaptive Drive)...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

The best payment is none. Buy a CPO if you simply must have one and put the $15,000 or $20,000 into gold or oil. In 4 years you may have enough then to buy one for cash. That's not the predominant mindset here but I see a lot of empty $800K plus homes formerly owned by guys who thought they had it all under control and that nothing bad would ever happen to them financially. I know it pisses people off who borrow too much too. But I don't really care about that.

Besides, I doubt cutting out the $180 spare tire will make the payment much more comfortable!

Most of the "options" on cars now didn't even exist 10 years ago. Was automotive life in 2000 really so unbearable that you'd have to borrow an extra $10K on a car to enjoy it?

I realize the X5 is a special vehicle . Few can match it for overall ability. But what makes it special is not the options(other than adaptive drive maybe) . If you even have to make any significant payment on one to be able to buy it, consider getting some bigger grippier wheels aftermarket, a $200 garmin, and a base model or CPO one and enjoy it. If you can bear what the neighbors might think of your vinyl seats or used car status, that is. : )
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I had comfort access - convenient but not essential.
Comfort seats are fantastic, probably the best seats on the market. If you drive long distances they are worth it.
I had active suspension and thought that it made a big difference to the handling of the vehicle. Others on this board feel that the stock suspension is just as good.
I agree on the running boards - just got in the way and left marks on my trousers.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

Picked ours up on CPO, so we didn't get to pick options... however, there's not much ours doesn't have, so we got lucky. Comfort Access rocks, so does the heads up display. Rear seat entertainment keeps the kids happy. Comfort seats are the only way to go. Jury's out on the premium sound... it sounds good, but the bass is a little too boomy in the 100 - 200hz range. The high beam assist is a cool feature that works suprisingly well.

Wish ours had the 3rd row, and the suspension is a touch soft without the adaptive package.

Congrats on your new ride!
Appreciate 0