XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #23
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

There is a huge aftermarket support for those cars, I really like lambo style tail lights:

Last edited by Sedoy; 12-20-2014 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Looks like a Scion FRS with Lexus ISF exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I traded in my 135i for a 2013 BRZ. Agreed, they are slow as molasses, until you do what I did, and add a big turbocharger, big fuel pump, big injectors, 3'' titanium exhaust, methanol injection, controlled by a standalone ECU. 2500lbs and 350whp is respectable.

Now, my little BRZ will give almost anything on the street a run for it's money.
I'm thinking about the same thing! I went through everything that I would "want" to do and I'd be adding about $30K in parts LOL! Yes, full suspension, brakes CF body panels to further reduce weight and a supercharger.
Yes, I'm crazy when it comes to weight reduction. My 330 weighs 3,230lbs. Starting with a BR-Z or FR-S would be MUCH lighter and then could only get better from there.

Quick question: How do you pass emissions with the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #26
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

New cars have 6 years before needing the bi-yearly smog, and I figured I'd have crashed, sold, or put the car back to stock and sold it by then.

There's a HUGE aftermarket market for the twins (BRZ and FRS).

There's quite a few people tracking their cars. Turbo adds a lot of heat issues which I've done a lot to work out (notice the holes in my front bumper, and I made a vent from the skidplate) and most serious track guys get a vented hood. Oil cooler is mandatory for track.

Element Tuning is one of the few racing with BIG power and BIG rubber, and finding the limits of the car (mainly oiling issues above 9000rpm), Phil at Element is a great person to ask about engines and racing. Element Tuning makes the Hydra Standalone ECU that I'm using.

I'd say if you approach building your BRZ/FRS for track use with good research you can make one hell of a track car.

My car, with the power it has now (what it should have had in the first place) is an absolute rocket, and handles better than anything I've driven on the street.

Alas, I may be getting a Pantera race car, and I can only keep one fun car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I'm thinking about the same thing! I went through everything that I would "want" to do and I'd be adding about $30K in parts LOL! Yes, full suspension, brakes CF body panels to further reduce weight and a supercharger.
Yes, I'm crazy when it comes to weight reduction. My 330 weighs 3,230lbs. Starting with a BR-Z or FR-S would be MUCH lighter and then could only get better from there.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #27
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

How much did that FRS run you with that turbo kit on it?
      12-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #28
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

My car is a BRZ. The Scion FRS is the same car exactly, save for a different grill and some interior differences. The BRZ is a bit more expensive and a little nicer of a car, plus, I prefer the front end of the BRZ better.

Turbo kits can be had for as low as $3500. There's a few standout companies that make better turbo kits using better turbos and workmanship (PTuning, Full Blown, WORKS has a nice new entry level kit, but the fun just starts with the turbo kit.

There is NO ROOM, so all the kits are tight fits (except AVO and PTuning who put their turbos down underneath). On my Full Blown install, I had to move my radiator forward to gain clearance, but that was no big deal.

Once you're making some decent power, you need new clutch, oil catch can, oil cooler, bigger fuel pump, bigger fuel injectors, bigger radiator, fat exhaust, tuning (usually Ecutek~$1~$1.5) but there's also Vishnu Open Flash Tablet, Racerom, Element Tuning's Hydra standalone is a step above those as far as racing and options go.

I also went with methanol injection, and at the time Element's Hydra was the only system that supported meth injection with their "Hydramist" (Aquamist system but controlled by the Hydra).

I also did up the suspension (265/245x18 Michelen Pilot Super Sports, Enkei Raijin wheels, KW coilovers, swaybars)

All in all I have about $15-18,000 into my car over what I paid for the car.

It is now a total street beast though.

The car only has 5000 miles on it, and I've been very easy on it so far. I may be selling it, as I've now set my heart on getting a Pantera.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake
New cars have 6 years before needing the bi-yearly smog, and I figured I'd have crashed, sold, or put the car back to stock and sold it by then.

There's quite a few people tracking their cars. Turbo adds a lot of heat issues which I've done a lot to work out (notice the holes in my front bumper, and I made a vent from the skidplate) and most serious track guys get a vented hood. Oil cooler is mandatory for track.

Element Tuning is one of the few racing with BIG power and BIG rubber, and finding the limits of the car (mainly oiling issues above 9000rpm), Phil at Element is a great person to ask about engines and racing. Element Tuning makes the Hydra Standalone ECU that I'm using.

I'd say if you approach building your BRZ/FRS for track use with good research you can make one hell of a track car.

My car, with the power it has now (what it should have had in the first place) is an absolute rocket, and handles better than anything I've driven on the street.

Alas, I may be getting a Pantera race car, and I can only keep one fun car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post

Pantera as in the 40yr old super car?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #30
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
My car is a BRZ. The Scion FRS is the same car exactly, save for a different grill and some interior differences. The BRZ is a bit more expensive and a little nicer of a car, plus, I prefer the front end of the BRZ better.

Turbo kits can be had for as low as $3500. There's a few standout companies that make better turbo kits using better turbos and workmanship (PTuning, Full Blown, WORKS has a nice new entry level kit, but the fun just starts with the turbo kit.

There is NO ROOM, so all the kits are tight fits (except AVO and PTuning who put their turbos down underneath). On my Full Blown install, I had to move my radiator forward to gain clearance, but that was no big deal.

Once you're making some decent power, you need new clutch, oil catch can, oil cooler, bigger fuel pump, bigger fuel injectors, bigger radiator, fat exhaust, tuning (usually Ecutek~$1~$1.5) but there's also Vishnu Open Flash Tablet, Racerom, Element Tuning's Hydra standalone is a step above those as far as racing and options go.

I also went with methanol injection, and at the time Element's Hydra was the only system that supported meth injection with their "Hydramist" (Aquamist system but controlled by the Hydra).

I also did up the suspension (265/245x18 Michelen Pilot Super Sports, Enkei Raijin wheels, KW coilovers, swaybars)

The car only has 5000 miles on it, and I've been very easy on it so far. I may be selling it, as I've now set my heart on getting a Pantera.
Wow, a lot of good stuff... I'm wondering what's your 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #31
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Yes, finally decided to search for my all-time favorite car. I may have found a Pantera race car that I may convert back to street duty and occasional track and AX use.

I'll need to sell my BRZ if I pull the trigger on the Pantera, I can't keep both.

My BRZ is a perfect out of CA car to buy, it's flawless, only 5k miles on it, and built to easily make well over 400+whp on E85 without touching a thing. Mot smoggable in CA presently unless I put it back to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyawesome View Post
Pantera as in the 40yr old super car?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #32
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake

I don't really care about any performance numbers, but how does your car feel after doing all of that work? It sounds like a dream setup of mine. Does it still feel reassuring when driving at the limit?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #33
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Yes, finally decided to search for my all-time favorite car. I may have found a Pantera race car that I may convert back to street duty and occasional track and AX use.

I'll need to sell my BRZ if I pull the trigger on the Pantera, I can't keep both.

My BRZ is a perfect out of CA car to buy, it's flawless, only 5k miles on it, and built to easily make well over 400+whp on E85 without touching a thing. Mot smoggable in CA presently unless I put it back to stock.
How much you looking for your BRZ.
      12-21-2014, 02:13 AM   #34
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

[QUOTE=mike the snake;17105100]New cars have 6 years before needing the bi-yearly smog, and I figured I'd have crashed, sold, or put the car back to stock and sold it by then.

Alas, I may be getting a Pantera race car, and I can only keep one fun car.[/QUOTE]

Between this and your modified twin, I dig your taste in cars brah!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #35
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I know that my modifications actually may hurt the value of the car in the regular market. I paid 30 for the car, and have another 18+ in mods.

I am very motivated to sell though, and would rather sell the car completed now as it is nearly the perfect hotrod sportscar now. Scary fast, and handling is insane.
As it sits now, it is also very reliable. If I were to go to "stage 2" (built block, 400-450whp), that's where things like axles, trans, diff, and other parts need to be upgraded. In it's present form it can be driven daily, and also taken to the track and driven hard. It's pretty perfect as it sits right now.

The car would also sell with all the stock pieces taken off, so it could be put back to stock form whenever anyone chose to do so.

My options are to either put the car back to stock, and sell the aftermarket parts, and sell the car as a stock car, or sell it hopefully as it sits as a thoughtfully, tastefully modded car. I would probably take 27 for the car. I'm going to take a huge loss either way, but I accept that.

I owe just a few grand in payments that I would pay off myself before selling the car so the paperwork and title would go smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post
How much you looking for your BRZ.

Last edited by mike the snake; 12-21-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #36
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

My car IS for sale, 27k and it's yours, and also has the 100,000 mile extended warranty. 5000 miles on the car, hasn't been tracked or raced or AX'ed yet.

My heart is set on that Pantera!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #37
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
My car IS for sale, 27k and it's yours, and also has the 100,000 mile extended warranty. 5000 miles on the car, hasn't been tracked or raced or AX'ed yet.

My heart is set on that Pantera!
Pictures...
      12-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Car is flawless. 5000 mikes on car.

Full Blown Premium turbo kit, Garret GTXr2867 turbo. Tuned by Element Tuning standalone Hydra ECU with methanol injection.

Car has ACT clutch with lightweight flywheel, Coilovers by KW, Enkei Raijin wheels with 245/265 MPSS tires. FB radiator with Spal fans and shroud, Meth gauge, (I have other gauges just not installed yet. Car has Tomei titanium exhaust. Exhaust is full 3" no cats.

Car is at completed "stage 1", running 10lbs boost, soon being tuned for 14lbs boost. Depending on fuel used, power is 300-400whp.

I've made mods to deal with the heat, the car can run hard all day and sit in traffic all day.

I have every part removed from the car so it can be put back to stock that will all come with the car.

I'll post better pics tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #39
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Car looks great. If I wasn't sitting in the NICU with our newborn I'd be all over that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #40
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Car looks great. If I wasn't sitting in the NICU with our newborn I'd be all over that.
Congratulations. Hope it's a short stay- been there twice. You'll never be in a place with such extremes- utter despair and outright joy- sometimes within feet of one another. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #41
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Here's me CL ad for my car.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4820218470.html
Appreciate 0