XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-06-2023, 07:42 AM   #1
pdhart
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

X5 E70 40D fault after deep water

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help. My wife took the X5 for the day, as we'd had a lot of rain, and there is a bit of a flood near our village. It was about 12" deep I think, according to where she said the water went. She was driving very slowly. Everything was fine until around the middle of the flood and then loads of lights came on. ABS, Dynamic Stability Control, and Electronic Handbrake warnings. Car still drove home.

Scanner shows below, some go after reset but come back after driving;

VTG (Transfer Case)
520D Transfer Box(VTG): Line Disconnection, terminal 30b
CF80 Signal from engine management: setpoint-torque request
5213 Transfer box(VTG): Servor motor: fault, load circuit
5215 Transfer box(VTG): Internal Control unit fault(software reset)
5216 Unexpected deactivation PWM
5222 Transfer box(VTG): Control Unit Complete Deactivation
522A Transfer box(VTG): Internal Control unit fault(software reset)

ABS/DCS (Dynamic Stability Control)
D36A No message recieved (VTG, 0xBC), reciever DSC, transmitter VTG
D36B No message recieved (VTG, 0x376), reciever DSC, transmitter VTG
5F3A Transfer Case: Malfunction

ECM/DME/DDE (Digital Motor/Diesel Electronics)
4C3C Message(SOLL_MOM_ANF, 0xBB)
49A6 LIN bus Communication Fault

Electro-mechanical Parking Brake
EMF DSC interface: Signal Invalid

My guess is water got into somewhere it shouldn't, as car was fine prior to wading. I've had the bottom covers off the car and checked the connector on the servo motor on the transfer case. I looked dry and clean but gave it a spray with some electrical cleaner/lubricant (proper stuff, not WD40) just in case. I've also had the boot completely out and checked for water there, as I've read it can get into the electronics around that. Again, all looks fine and not wet, although it has stood for a couple of days before I could get time to look at it. 4x4 is definately not working at all - front wheels disengaged all the time. Parking brake does work when stationary, but not when moving. It's SUPPOSED to be good for half a metre, and I've definately had it in deep water before, with no issues.

Any ideas on what to check next or what might be the problem? I'm hoping it's just water somewhere, as it was all fine prior to gettting wet. Don't really like the idea if it going back to BMW dealer if I can help it.

thanks Paul.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
pdhart
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

So I traced this to the control module on the motor that controls the transfer case. It was flooded. I've got a replacement from a breaker but now it needs coding.
Appreciate 0