XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
t_robot
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

X5M DIY replacing boost controllers

So I've been lurking around on here for a while but I felt like it was time to join in on the fun.

Here's the story: I've got a bad boost controller and I've ordered up a new pair of them for my 2010 X5M.

From what I can tell by some other posts and schematics it looks like they're buried behind the passenger side intercooler. To that end I haven't really found a good writeup for doing them either.

Do I need to fully remove the intercooler to swap them or can I get by with unbolting and just pushing them aside? Any good DIY's out there that I missed?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

The driver side boost solenoid can be replaced without removing the intercoolers, though you may need to unbolt the auxiliary water pump to make some room...don’t disconnect, just unbolt to move it around a bit. If you must replace the passenger side boost solenoid then you will have to remove the passenger side intercooler. This will require pulling the charge pipes, pulling the fan out, draining the auxiliary coolant tank and disconnecting the hoses from the tank and intercooler, disconnecting TMAP sensor, Pulling the fuel breather solenoid off the intercooler, unscrewing the worm drive clamp that connects the intercooler to the throttle body (don’t cut the upper clip), unbolting the intercoolers from the engine and brackets (4-5bolts, can’t remember), and then finally pulling out the intercooler. Coolant will leak profusely from the intercooler so be ready and make sure nothing gets on the exposed electrical connections from the fan and pressure sensor. This all takes a while because the bolts are blind and hard to remove, easy to lose. It’s even harder to get the bolts back in without dropping them since they are small. Do t over torque when reinstalling
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

I did replace both of mine without removing the intercooler using a small 10mm box end wrench. Very limit space to turn the nut and then wrestling out and the new one in. Took me over an hour for the passenger side. I don’t mind removing the intercooler but installing the charge pipe(the plastic thats has 2 pipe splitting into both intercooler)up top is always a nightmare for me.
Btw: if you order pierburg sensor, its got a different shape that won’t fit right on the bracket so I only use 1 bolt nut.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
t_robot
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Thanks the detailed tips TwinSnailz and jandref321 . I did order a pair of the Pierburgs over the OEM so good to know. I'll give this a crack when the parts come in. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_robot View Post
Thanks the detailed tips TwinSnailz and jandref321 . I did order a pair of the Pierburgs over the OEM so good to know. I'll give this a crack when the parts come in. Wish me luck!

Let us know if it was absolutely necessary to remove the intercooler to do the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 08:48 PM   #6
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Adding to this years later, but I was able to get both solenoids out without removing the intercooler.
The RH solenoid lower nut is hard to get to, and I ended up bending the bracket away from the intercooler a bit to get the solenoid to clear the mounting studs.
As per old plastic, the nipples the hoses go on are now very brittle, so take caution with taking the hoses off if you intend to reuse them.
Appreciate 0