XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Hotpockets
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i & 2008 E70 3.0

Check engine light from low battery?

Just picked up my car from getting a 3.5 hour tint job. All windows, sunroof, and windshield. Here in Austin it's 102 today, and my kid actually told me he was cold in our car on the way home. This stuff is amazing.

Needless to say when I picked up my car, the check engine light was on, so I asked the manager there why could that be. He said they had the doors open for so long they put it on a charger.

Only the check engine light is on. And the weird part is the system's check in the iDrive shows everything is ok. All systems show green and as ok.

So will the check engine light go after awhile? Or will I have to make a trip to the dealer for $ to get it turned off?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

My guess is that the tinting shop did something while installing the tint that triggered the CEL. For example: pulling apart a connector with the ignition on would do it. If it goes away after a couple of starts then no problem. I wouldn't let the tinting shop guys try to solve the problem even if it was their fault. BTW, IMO a low battery will not trigger a CEL but only a low battery warning.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Hotpockets
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i & 2008 E70 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
My guess is that the tinting shop did something while installing the tint that triggered the CEL. For example: pulling apart a connector with the ignition on would do it. If it goes away after a couple of starts then no problem. I wouldn't let the tinting shop guys try to solve the problem even if it was their fault. BTW, IMO a low battery will not trigger a CEL but only a low battery warning.

Agreed on the low battery light. I figured thigh since they a charger on the fancy such any battery these late model BMW's have it was the culprit....
Appreciate 0