XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

BMW trailer brake control unit

I had the hitch and then the brake controller installed in my X5d. I want to be able to pull my open trailer and car.

The issue is the brake controller take up one of my very valuable front cup holders.

My question is simple, has anyone pulled the BMW Brake Controller out of the cup holder once it's installed?

In looking at the install instructions, it looks like it just "pops" into the cup holder and the 4 little pressure units hold it in. But when I pull on it, I get it up some but then it seems that the "grip" on it just won't let go. The tech said there was a fair amount of wire still under the unit itself so he doubts it will pull the clip off, but I'm affair to pull too hard.

I don't use a trailer with brakes very often so I'd love to have it "removable".

Any feedback would be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Wickedwyrm
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5 35d

I recommend the tekonsha wireless brake controller. It mounts to the trailer and then you plug the controller into the 12v outlet. You don't have to permanently mount anything in the BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedwyrm View Post
I recommend the tekonsha wireless brake controller. It mounts to the trailer and then you plug the controller into the 12v outlet. You don't have to permanently mount anything in the BMW
Ummm, thanks, I guess. I already have the BMW Brake Controller installed, that's what made me ask the question.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Wickedwyrm
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedwyrm View Post
Ummm, thanks, I guess. I already have the BMW Brake Controller installed, that's what made me ask the question.
Sorry about that. I thought you were trying to avoid buying the brake controller in the cupbolder
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

UPDATE

Last night I looked closer at it and it does just "sit" down in the cupholder. I pulled it out a bit more, undid the wire clip and out it came!

Now all I need to do is figure out a way NOT to drop the wire down the hole in the bottom of the cupholder and a way to STOP mositure from also going down that hole when I has a sweating Diet Coke in the holder.

I'm thinking that cutting a big cup down to the height of the cup holder and dropping that in will work. Then I drop a cup in a cup and all should be right again!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
morgandc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I just let the wire go down there...and put the cup holder back together. I should probably open it back up and tape the wire to the bottom of the cup holder.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
76Gas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 MW

I had my brake controller wired into the bottom of the center consol compartment. I can plug it in when ever I need it.
Appreciate 0