XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
eliza_0302
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW X5

Please desperately need help with door handle carrier for X5

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here. I have a 2001 BMW X5 and I need to replace my driver's side door handle carrier. The part is incredibly expensive here so I am trying to buy it online from overseas. As my car is right hand drive will the part be the same overseas. The part number I am old by my BMW dealer is 51218243616. As the driver's side door has the key lock on the outside is this part affected by this or can I just purchase a front right hand side door handle carrier from overseas? Essentially what I am asking is that does the driver's side door one differ because of the outside key hole?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to all your knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
kari7885
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 4.4i 2004

Hi eliza_0302

I have the same problem with my BMW X5. You can search for original BMW part numbers on www.realoem.com and then match them to all the corresponding models that they will fit. According to this site the outer right front door handle carrier 51218243616 fits both the right and left hand drive models. So as far as I understand you can purchase this part from anywhere worldwide and it will work in your car. The key operated lock on your drivers door handle does not mean that you'll need a different part to a left hand drive model. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Bombus
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 3.oi E53 2006

Further to this, a good website (after lots of searching) to purchase parts from I've found (as I had the same problem) is http://www.autopartswarehouse.com They are American (for those outside of the states) and also do int'l delivery. I ordered the door carrier part today and will advise if/when I receive it.

Reckon I've saved myself about $240-$250 on the purchase price. (Cost me $110 instead of the $350 quoted by a repairers here in Aust).
Appreciate 0