XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Lt. General
Rep
Drives: X5 5.0, 540i, 1965 C2

OEM Hitch Install

This is an option for the OEM hitch install.

To eliminate the need for the large cutout and still allow for the trailer light connector, I cut and re-welded the connector bracket horizontal and upwards of the standard location which allows the connector 's use but you cannot see it unless you crawl under the bumper.

This is on a 2011 5.0 sport bumper which is slightly different from the 3.5i and the 5m bumpers.

A few note's to add to the standard removal/install of the bumper.
1. I broke and interior bumper support...no problem...probably the most highly stocked part by any dealer and only $17 each.
2. The dark unpainted portion ie. textured aera of the bumper scratches easily...as in, most of my pencil marks showed up...F#$!
3. The dealer knew I was going to do the install myself, and my mechanic told me not to make any of the electrical connections...he would do it when he re-flashed the computer.
4. The re-flash went like any "Bill Gate's" product's...at the start it said 12hrs...then 30 min later it said 8hrs...and so on...total time on re-flash was 2 hrs.

On a kinda cool note. When I checked the trailer lights by pushing the Hazards...before I could hit the button the Nav screen indicated I had a left turn signal bad on the trailer...I cleaned the contact and the message went away....All this time, remember, I had yet to select any trailer lights...."How Do It Know!"

One other note: The OEM hitch is a beast...way over engineered, and it's weight must come in at 80 to 100 lbs. Something to think about when it comes to gas mileage.

I checked the ride height pre and post install. With the hitch a full tank of gas and about 400 lbs in the back... You only loose about a half to three quarter inch loaded!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Harry335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I bought an aftermarket one and installed it. I had to notch the rear cover, but the hitch rides lower and I only had to notch the underside of the rear bumper cover.

2011 335i,HID Fogs,LED Interior,Tinted Windows
Appreciate 0