XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
wildwestrider
Registered
Rep
Drives: Various

X5 (soon to be) Newbie: What kind of issues are the 99-2002 X5 3.0 and 4.4 known for

Hi, I'm new here. I've been watching Early X5 prices for a while and it seems like I might find a 99-2002 model for $10K or less depending on condition and miles.

I have had MANY used BMWs over the years, and having found them to be fairly solid and well built cars,.......I'm wondering if the X5 is a solid used vehicle as well, or if they are problematic. I've had several Land Rovers and found them to always be a disappointment, (polite understatement).....and I have heard lots of negs about the Mercedes MLs. I have only had 1 friend with an X5,.....and he ditched it when the center diff/transfer case started having problems.

I see a fair number of 4.4is X5s,.....generally with bald expensive looking tires on them,...so, as I am an older guy now and on a limited income,.....wondering if the 3.0 is a better choice.

So, the question is: Are the older X5s reliable? What should I look for.

BC

Last edited by wildwestrider; 09-28-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

Here's a little hint about the first gen X5. While it may be affordable now to buy, the maintenance will absolutely be scary. You are looking at $2000 a year...the 4.4 will be less reliable but to be honest the 3.0 is way underpowered...so you are kind of screwed either way.

If your budget is only 10k, I would go with something like a 2003 5 wagon...much more reliable and the same storage.
Appreciate 0