XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

TPMS Sensors

I'm buying new (BMW OEM) wheels for my winter tires, so I need to get sensors for them. I think I will order them from Tire Rack as they are far less $ than the dealer price. Can I assume that any decent tire store will know how to install the sensors prior to mounting the tire? I assume the installation is not really high tech, and they are merely mounted on the inside of each wheel before the tire is installed? Also, I was going to bring the new wheels, tires, and sensors to the tire store to have the tires and sensors mounted, but install them on the truck myself later. Is it correct that I can do that myself, but I will just need to initialize the TPMS system as shown in the owner's manual? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

My experience is that any major tire shop nowadays is familiar with TPMS and the mounting procedure (they are on many new vehicles because I think it's a federal DOT requirement for newer cars). TireRack by far has the best price. I didn't have time to order from them when I was ready to mount my snow tires (wasn't thinking about needing new sensors when I ordered the tires and wheels), but Discount Tire matched TireRacks pricing without even requiring proof.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
CMH75
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35d

Also, forgot to answer your second question....yes, you can initialize them any time after mounting via iDrive..."standard process".
Appreciate 0