XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
ArchDJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 White 320i Sedan

Tire questions?

Got a punctured tire the other day. SOmeone's wheel weight went right through the middle of the tread. Huge hole... I had never experienced this before!

RFT on the X5 so replaced the bad one. But Now I am concerned that I only replaced the one tire. Other three have significant less tread. How bad is this on the AWD system?

I have got mixed responses also if I should rotate my tires at all on the X5. Previously we had on the X3. Just want to hear other's experience.

All of this also make me think of just getting a different rim set up if I need to replace the rest of the tires.

Advice?
2008 BMW 328xi White/tan - Turned in
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

what's the thread depth of the other 3? If more than 30%-40% difference in tread depth with your new tire, then replace all 3, there will be a difference in wheel diameter and as a result the transfer case and the front/rear diff (depending on which single tire was replaced) are working extra hard to compensate.

read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

Replacing Pairs of Tires or Individual Tires

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

Regardless of the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, the least stressful application is when all four tires are the same tire brand, tread design and equivalent tread depth.

Before buying pairs or individual tires for all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles, drivers should read their vehicle's owners manual or contact the dealer's service department for confirmation of their specific vehicle's requirements.

So figure out what the new tire's depth is, and the old tire's depth and compute the % difference.

Both of my fronts were replaced before the rears due to a single puncture on one of the fronts and my current measurement is 2/32 difference between the new fronts and old rears which is just under 30%.

Rotation:
As long as your wheel and tires are not staggered (exact same size wheels and tires), you can cross rotate your wheels (and should). If your wheels are staggered, you can only swap left with right and rears with rears, fronts with fronts, and this type of rotation is questionable how beneficial it really is, vs simply getting a proper alignment.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-01-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
ArchDJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 White 320i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
what's the thread depth of the other 3? If more than 30%-40% difference in tread depth with your new tire, then replace all 3, there will be a difference in wheel diameter and as a result the transfer case and the front/rear diff (depending on which single tire was replaced) are working extra hard to compensate.

read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

Replacing Pairs of Tires or Individual Tires

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

Regardless of the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, the least stressful application is when all four tires are the same tire brand, tread design and equivalent tread depth.

Before buying pairs or individual tires for all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles, drivers should read their vehicle's owners manual or contact the dealer's service department for confirmation of their specific vehicle's requirements.

So figure out what the new tire's depth is, and the old tire's depth and compute the % difference.

Both of my fronts were replaced before the rears due to a single puncture on one of the fronts and my current measurement is 2/32 difference between the new fronts and old rears which is just under 30%.

Rotation:
As long as your wheel and tires are not staggered (exact same size wheels and tires), you can cross rotate your wheels (and should). If your wheels are staggered, you can only swap left with right and rears with rears, fronts with fronts, and this type of rotation is questionable how beneficial it really is, vs simply getting a proper alignment.
Great information.
Thanks for the assistance!
2008 BMW 328xi White/tan - Turned in
Appreciate 0