XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

06-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #309
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Honestly because K&N is complete crap imo compared to BMC. They let dirtier air in and don't provide any increase in flow according to the numerous tests run against them and paper filters. Plus they over oil the heck out of their filters causing a build up on the maf. I actually don't like oiled filters, but I didn't find out about a dry one until after. Supposedly ITG makes a filter for our cars so I'll probably try that next time.

Ironically, the only reason I changed the filter in the first place was because I wanted to remove the charcoal filters. So I figured if I'm going to open it up might as well throw in a better flowing replacement filter as well. So I order the filter. open her up, and find out I don't have the charcoal filters installed lol...
ITG does make a filter. It is the profilter , uses 3 layers of foam and is oiled and it never has to be cleaned. Not sure if I like the idea of never needs to be cleaned. Is this thing catching particles and where are they going it must get damn dirty? They say it last 4x longer than OE paper but to toss a $250 filter and replace...costly. I am considering BMC. ITG or K&N to replace stock in X6M.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #310
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
ITG does make a filter. It is the profilter , uses 3 layers of foam and is oiled and it never has to be cleaned. Not sure if I like the idea of never needs to be cleaned. Is this thing catching particles and where are they going it must get damn dirty? They say it last 4x longer than OE paper but to toss a $250 filter and replace...costly. I am considering BMC. ITG or K&N to replace stock in X6M.
That's good info right there. Thanks for sharing! Will try out the ITG one next once my BMC's are through. I agree about the never needs cleaned part, that's like saying oil is lifetime fill. I personally don't like servicing the filters as I don't trust myself on the whole re-oiling procedure. The last thing I want is to get oil on the maf because I was overzealous with the application. I will dust it out from time to time, but that's it. I just consider it yet another overpriced consumable it the care taking of this beast. Haven't really come up with a mileage interval that I'll dump them at yet though. Thinking I'll do it at 40k intervals to match my walnut blasting schedule.

Whatever you choose don't go K&N if you can help it. Just research their filters and you will see why I stay away from them.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:16 AM   #311
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Not sure if it's the same on a X6M but on the X5M's the top of the rear shocks are accessed by moving the carpet liner of the spare wheel well to the side under the trunk floor.

The real pain will be the front top as that requires removal of the plastic bins over the shock towers. It's not hard to do at all, just a little time consuming. Remove rubber liner, remove plastic top covering, and then remove thick plastic tray. Should give enough room to get the adjuster on the shock. Good luck!

One more thing, don't forget to reset the shocks by tuning them fully closed (to the right/full stiff) for a couple minutes before adjusting them open to the desired settings. Don't turn past the final click. There is a very slight movement from the last click to strong resistance. You don't want to be in this part. Clicks for adjustment assume that the final click before the no mans land is position 0.

As a point of reference for you and anyone else curious here are my settings:

Front:

Height - 29.25 from ground to bottom of fender
Rebound - 6 clicks from full closed
Compression - 5 clicks from full closed

Rear:

Height - 29.50 from ground to bottom of fender
Rebound - 9 clicks from full closed
Compression - 5 clicks from full closed
Finished putting my KW V3s on couple days ago, went with same settings though being mine is a X5 M Sport 35D it says in the handbook to dial in 6 clicks on compression for the rear rather than 5. Guessing its a little different with it having 3rd row seat and perhaps little heavier?

Either way they are very comfortable, rear especially is poised and well planted. The front is a little choppy and soft, but i'm guessing with height being 29" from ground to bottom of fender on the front & 29.25 from ground to bottom of fender on the rear I'd expect it to be, probably exceeding the limits if anything. Need them lows
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #312
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
Finished putting my KW V3s on couple days ago, went with same settings though being mine is a X5 M Sport 35D it says in the handbook to dial in 6 clicks on compression for the rear rather than 5. Guessing its a little different with it having 3rd row seat and perhaps little heavier?

Either way they are very comfortable, rear especially is poised and well planted. The front is a little choppy and soft, but i'm guessing with height being 29" from ground to bottom of fender on the front & 29.25 from ground to bottom of fender on the rear I'd expect it to be, probably exceeding the limits if anything. Need them lows

Nice, glad you like them!

The fronts are definietly a little too low, same thing I experienced except I couldn't handle it for more than a week lol... Raising the front that extra quarter inch did wonders for the ride quality, but at the expense of lows. Always a trade off. Have any pics yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #313
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Last edited by UnicornM; 11-19-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #314
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

She looks !

Can't wait to see it with the 22's, definietly make a thread when they are installed. Loving the classiness with the chromes as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #315
HalP
2011 X5M Alpine White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Exhaust mod

Beautiful X5M M3 guy! Thanks for the great journal thread! I bought mine about a year ago and while my preferred color was MCB, I simply couldn't find one in my area, however, I did come across a beautiful Alpine White 2011 that stole my heart! After reading about your exhaust tip upgrade, I thought I would do the same to my M as the stock tips look rather vanilla and are hard to keep clean. Armed with four Silver V3.5 tips from www.dimisatips.com, I headed to my local muffler shop. After arriving, I discovered they had the same style tips in 4", and having recently come across a beautiful BMW M coupe with a 3.0 and 4.0 staggered tip setup (http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935449), I thought it was worth considering. After the original tips were removed, I had the tech mock up the 3.5 and 4.0 and loved the way it looked. It's distinctive and unique and I'm very happy with how they turned out. Below are pictures after install.

Thanks again for sharing your X5M passion and keep on moddin

Last edited by HalP; 07-19-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #316
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the kind words about this journal!

Tips are looking nice!!!

I would have never thought about that. Definitely looks unique, makes the 3.5 seem tiny too lol. Have any further away pics?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #317
HalP
2011 X5M Alpine White
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Additional pics coming soon...

Quote:

Tips are looking nice!!!

I would have never thought about that. Definitely looks unique, makes the 3.5 seem tiny too lol. Have any further away pics?
I hope to take some new outside pics next week, as I am traveling and am out of the country this week. Pics I currently have don't include the front spoiler or painted rear reflectors so if the weather is good next week (sunny) I'll snap some new photos with the good camera and get them posted.

My next upgrade is going to be the addition of an X6M aluminum hood with M bump! My research indicates it will fit along with the addition of a wiper hose kit and bracket setup. I plan to order the hood and parts next week, find a paint shop, and "get 'r done" I have been searching for a DIY on this but haven't come across one so far, so once it's complete, I'll do one up.

Can't wait for your next entry! Thanks.
      07-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #318
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalP;
I have been searching for a DIY on this but haven't come across one so far, so once it's complete, I'll do one up.

Can't wait for your next entry! Thanks.
Several have been done now, I have seen a couple local and there was a DIY on here somewhere maybe try searching "power dome" or ask anyone with a stock hood for sale in the classified section.... It's a great looking upgrade.
      07-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #319
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Definitely post up about the X6M hood as that's a mod I've been considering myself.

Btw what brand stainless steel brake lines did you get and where did you get them? I've has them on all of my builds and have been slacking on getting some for this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #320
HalP
2011 X5M Alpine White
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Definitely post up about the X6M hood as that's a mod I've been considering myself.

Btw what brand stainless steel brake lines did you get and where did you get them? I've has them on all of my builds and have been slacking on getting some for this one.
I went with Goodridge (p/n 31051). This is my second set, first went on my 2008 4.8i Sport. I got them from Andy's Autosport, www.andysautosport.com, because their listed price for a set was about half of everyone else's. Problem was, their web site quoted me part number (p/n 31050) which is for the e53 instead of the e70. Their site incorrectly has them listed as X5 2001+. After I discovered the error, I called them and their customer service was great, but the price went up. Still, they were cheaper than anywhere else I found even after the adjustment, but if you want to order brake lines from them, I'd call and make sure they get the part number correct instead of ordering online through their web site.

Last edited by HalP; 07-22-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #321
HalP
2011 X5M Alpine White
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:

Tips are looking nice!!!

Here is a better pic of the new staggered tips taken at a local car show today. Thanks.

07-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #322
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalP View Post
I went with Goodridge (p/n 31051). This is my second set, first went on my 2008 4.8i Sport. I got them from Andy's Autosport, www.andysautosport.com, because their listed price for a set was about half of everyone else's. Problem was, their web site quoted me part number (p/n 31050) which is for the e53 instead of the e70. Their site incorrectly has them listed as X5 2001+. After I discovered the error, I called them and their customer service was great, but the price went up. Still, they were cheaper than anywhere else I found even after the adjustment, but if you want to order brake lines from them, I'd call and make sure they get the part number correct instead of ordering online through their web site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalP View Post
Here is a better pic of the new staggered tips taken at a local car show today. Thanks.
pic
Thanks for the part number of the lines and the staggered tip look is starting to grow on me. Keep it up!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #323
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Update:

Not so much a mod update this time around, more of a cool tool one.

Bmwhat App and Wifi OBDII Adapter

The company's site:

http://www.ivini-apps.com/

So the other week my edc went off again on the commute home due to a bad connection of one of the KW resistors. This had been an ongoing problem for awhile now and I've never been able to tell what side needs to be looked at. I was also thinking of getting some coding done as well, but the guy here couldn't connect to my car for whatever reason.

My boss came in the next day and showed me his new wifi obd2 adapter that he just got and some free software he downloaded for his corvette. I thought that was the coolest thing and asked to try it out on my car. So I did and it worked. It showed I had no faults though, which made me think I might need a more specific software program. This got me thinking maybe there is a BMW specific app to go along with these adapters so I could finally read my edc code.

I began searching and BMWhat immediately popped up. It advertised bmw specific fault code reading and clearing. It also advertised coding as well. This practically sold me right there as having an app on your phone that could read/clear fault codes and actually do some minor coding was something I never thought possible. Low and behold it was. I instantly downloaded the free version to test compatibility.

The free version pulled 10 faults, but would not tell me what they were. There was an email link to send the log though. So I did thinking I would never hear anything. That night I received an email back from the owner explaining all of the faults and that with the full version you would not need to send in your logs. I was so impressed by this customer service that I bought the full app.

At $50 it was not the cheapest piece of software but for something that does not vin lock, can read/clear fault codes, code, and work on the new F series cars was worth it to me. I also bought the wifi adapter off of Amazon as they actually have a little store there as a further means of support. It was not the cheapest wifi adapter, but I felt it important to support them as they are constantly improving the app and I feel it is an excellent product for our little bmw community. Iphone users will need to order the wifi adapter while android users need to order the bluetooth one with cable. The cable is needed to code for android platforms.

Link to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_au...&node=15684181

Go Time

I received the adapter yesterday. It took a week for it to get from Germany to Hawaii. Packaging was good and it fit in the mailbox.

Pic out of the mail package:

Plugged into the car:

For reading fault codes you can have the engine running as that will have the most amount of ecu's on to read. For coding you are going to want to have the car in position two (everything on except engine, just start the car without holding the brake) while hooked up to a battery tender. So just like doing a performance tune in other words. Below you will find pictures of the app doing it's thing:

Wifi network it creates. It's also recommended that you turn your bluetooth off on your iphone while using the program for increased connectivity.:

The setting menu of the app. I chose additional diagnostics to make sure I read every code:

Fault code reading time. I selected all ecus. It spoke to 62 of them:

My edc faults. I now know I need to work on the front left and right connections for the resistors. The rears are fine:

Everything cleared:

Coding time!

5 modules can be coded for my car:

A taste of the options that can be coded!!! The nice thing about the app is it creates a backup file in case anything happens:

There are a lot of options within the 5 modules for coding. Do keep in mind there are more options that an actual coder can do that this can not yet. However I think this product speaks for itself in terms of value. Works on your phone, uses a tool that creates it's own wifi, read/clear faults, does simple coding, and can work on the new F series cars is a win in my book. I highly recommend this tool if you guys are into this stuff. Any questions ask away. The owner is also working on additional coding options to add so that section will keep getting better!
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #324
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

^ wow, great news Kimo!
      08-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #325
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Finally got my Coilovers installed. Love it!!!

Special thanks to M3 Guy for your settings!!!
GMP for the install
and Tru Wheels

More photos to come on separate thread
Attached Images

08-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #326
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Looks great! Glad I could help and speed safely.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #327
Rennfahrer
TEAM BMW HAWAII
Rep
Drives: ///M3

At this year's Oktoberfest Hawaii, Kimo revealed his new set of Morr wheels

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #328
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

21s?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #329
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT
21s?
Yep 21's. Their new VS57's. Finish is hand brushed satin clear.

Wife wanted runflats back. Still 10.5 front and 12 rear. Offsets are in the loooow teens.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #330
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks clean man! I've taken my 22s off, stock 20" runflats are terrible. 22s were way better.

Searching for more lows for 2015.
Appreciate 0