XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #23
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
The majority of X5 buyers aren't looking for AMAZING handling. It's a nice grocery getter and a fantastic snow buggy and makes a GREAT SUV. If you REALLY wanted and were willing to PAY to get it you would probably simply buy the X5M, right? Please tell me why it is a MUST HAVE? If handling is all there is to it then.... meh. You have not convinced me of it' merits.

Now, don't mistake frugality for AD apathy. That is not the case at all. Rather, I DO agree that it is a "nice feature" to have but don't think that I would hold out for AD given the additional $4K. In fact, I specifically would NOT order one with it on it simply because of the 8% baseline price increase for that feature. Now, if I was shopping used and had the opportunity to buy an X5 with AD for a thousand more than one without. Damn skippy, I'd buy it
It's not just handling, it's the entire ride quality, it's that much better with AD. Drive one with and without it back to back and you'll feel the difference, it just transforms the entire vehicle. IMO, you purchase a BMW for the way it drives, if all I cared about was a grocery getter and making it out of my driveway with a few inches of snow on the ground, I wouldn't have purchased a BMW, there are plenty of other options out there that better fit that criteria.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #24
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It's not just handling, it's the entire ride quality, it's that much better with AD. Drive one with and without it back to back and you'll feel the difference, it just transforms the entire vehicle. IMO, you purchase a BMW for the way it drives, if all I cared about was a grocery getter and making it out of my driveway with a few inches of snow on the ground, I wouldn't have purchased a BMW, there are plenty of other options out there that better fit that criteria.
This truck ALREADY handles like a BMW. Very good. The AD may be beneficial and I liked it on the 7-series I owned before this truck. Myself and others simply don't think it warrants a $4K pricetag on these X5s. You are not going to change my opinion so let's just leave this at agreeing to disagree, OK?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
This truck ALREADY handles like a BMW. Very good. The AD may be beneficial and I liked it on the 7-series I owned before this truck. Myself and others simply don't think it warrants a $4K pricetag on these X5s. You are not going to change my opinion so let's just leave this at agreeing to disagree, OK?
If you're happy with the way it drives with the base suspension, then that's great. I'd fully expect people to try both out before spending $3150 on it to see/feel the difference it makes. It was included with the sport package through the 2011 model year and only became an standalone option starting with the 2012s, so even though it can be difficult to find one to test drive, it's not impossible.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Totally different story with AD than without! I have an '07 with AD and I'm shopping for a new car now. Last weekend I test drove a 2013 without AD and I don't think I would be able to have another X5 without it. But of course is a matter of preferences. I agree it's too pricey for almost 4K, but for me is a must have. Enjoy your new ride ndabunka
Appreciate 0