XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Which hitch?

I'm in the market for a hitch for my 2013 x5 sport activity package trim (for a bike rack)

Brought the vehicle in to have one installed on Saturday only to be told that they didn't realize it was a sport activity model and the Curt 13077 will require them to cut a massive whole in the underside of the bumper. They recommended that I go for the Hidden Hitch 87455 which will need to be ordered but apparently doesn't require as big of a cut. Looking at the installation instructions i cant tell if there is a difference in the cut size for each of these hitches.

Does anyone have any experience with these two hitches on this specific x5 trim? I don't want to cut the bumper anymore than it has to be.

Would execuhitch require the bumper to be cut as well?

Last edited by ramsal; 09-09-2013 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

13077 required no cutting at all on my xDrive50i M Sport.

I also recommend using a silent or locking hitch pin, makes a big difference when towing.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Just received an email from execuhitch and unfortunately it looks like the underside of the bumper will also need to be cut. The cut looks wider but has a nice curve to it which makes it look almost like it belongs there. That's a shame because I was hoping not to cut the bumper for the premium price of the execuhitch.

The email does also mention that the execuhitch allows the vehicle to collapse as designed in case of a rear end accident and implies that other aftermarket hitches somehow interfere this somehow. Can an independent source confirm/comment on this?

For me, maintaining the safety features of the vehicle will outweigh the cost difference between Execuhitch and Curt/Hidden, especially since they all require some degree of bumper cutting.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

The cut to fit the Execuhitch is minimal and to the underside of the trim. As far as rear end collision the hitch is part of the frame and I don't see how it would affect the frame behavior in case of a hard hit to the rear of the vehicle. I have been really happy with my hitch.
Appreciate 0