XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Steepcreeker
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 XDrive 50i

Electrical malfunctioning

Electrical Issues are continuing after a new battery installed at Indy shop.

passenger restraint system malfunction
abs light on
brake light on
rear windows not working.
screen fades in and out.

Probably because battery is drained now but this just went in to get a new battery from other issues similar to these.

What is draining my battery? Electrical problems are the worst!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Steepcreeker
Rep

I believe the battery was just settling in.

After it sat for a couple days in time out, I started it up and only had the yellow check engine light on in the dash with no other codes. Drove around town and car ran fine but the mpg gauge was acting really funny jumping around.

Got new gas, parked car. Next day, started car, no check engine light, no codes, and the car is running great.

Last issue remaining is the struts on the rear hatch stopped working. Any chance of some used ones around for the 2011 x5? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Steepcreeker
Rep

Electrical issues are resurfacing

Hello,
My 2011 X5 50i is having some crazy electrical issues. Replaced battery, condition is intermittent and affects most systems.

Screen will fade in and out,
Lights on dash, all of them?
sometimes car will drive, other times it locks itself out.
After a period of time, car may start normal, may not.

At an Indy shop now but looking for suggestions on problems.

Grounding? shorts? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steepcreeker View Post
Hello,
My 2011 X5 50i is having some crazy electrical issues. Replaced battery, condition is intermittent and affects most systems.

Screen will fade in and out,
Lights on dash, all of them?
sometimes car will drive, other times it locks itself out.
After a period of time, car may start normal, may not.

At an Indy shop now but looking for suggestions on problems.

Grounding? shorts? Thoughts?
First things first. Check your roof drains on your sunroof for clogging. Open the sun roof and pour bottled water in the reservoir, which is on the outside where the panoramic roof slides. Check for drainage in the rear with trunk open (they're up top little plastic piece with a flap). Then check the front in the wheel well where the little mudflap thing is. My rear driver drain was pinched from the factory when it was built. Built up with water when raining and overflowed into the rear trunk cubby on the drivers side and shorted out some plugs and was splashing on my battery. Routed the drain correctly, spliced in a new plug for my TCM, changed the battery (be sure the register it) and my high battery drain message went away.
      10-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Yeah my first thought on the issue was battery registration, but it may be quite a bit more in depth.

If you don't mind my asking, where is the car at currently? I work in the industry and can give some great shops to go to, especially in the Denver area. Feel free to PM me if you don't want it out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Yeah my first thought on the issue was battery registration, but it may be quite a bit more in depth.

If you don't mind my asking, where is the car at currently? I work in the industry and can give some great shops to go to, especially in the Denver area. Feel free to PM me if you don't want it out there.
Definitely better to have a mechanic diagnose electrical. Unless you're really familiar with it. Me personally, I let the dealership find that it was the tcm drawing power... but me to figure out that it was the roof drain causing the short.