XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

X5M VSC Info (General Info on extended warranties)

The more you read about these extended warranties the more confusion it creates. So far here is what I have learnt about these warranties by reading many many archives from many different enthusiast websites.

Also of note is, BMW now has extended the warranties on all N63 and S63 models covering the following items:

Injectors, FRM, drive shafts and ?????

Make sure the co is backed by a good underwriters
Initial purchase cost should be scrutinized more closely. Too cheap, you have a problem and too expensive, it can be negotiated. The selling dealers usually have 60-70% mark-up on these contract costs.
Make sure the warranties are exclusionary kinds or else you would have issues with the coverage.
Modified cars could have coverage issues too
Whatever company you decide to go with, don't forget to confirm with your local dealer to see what they think about that company
Read archives and google about the company
BBB ratings means nothing. All it tells you is how the company handles it's consumer complaints, that's all
Different dealers have different pricing on the same warranty depending on their mark-ups so feel free to shop around

Now let's get down to various warranty companies and their feedback: Please feel free to add you experiences with any of these or other companies.

The coverage is X5M specific and EC > exclusionary coverage;

AMT: Offered by my local GM store...competitive pricing (EC)
Toyota Maxcare: seems pretty promising and very competitive pricing (EC)
Route 66: Offered through local Credit Union but only powertrain coverage
First Mile offered by TWS (total warranty Services): (EC very expensive at a local BMW store)
Autopom: Good reviews but they are brokers so not too sure about the company that would provide the coverage though
Endurance: No coverage

Fidelity: Too expensive
Delta Auto Pilot: Sounded shaddy over the phone.
Penfed: Good and economical coverage but don't cover (X5M, AMG's)
CNA: No coverage

Will add as I keep narrowing down the field.

You guys rock

Last edited by quick; 01-30-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      01-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
Finding one that covers the M is tricky - and most are only offered through dealers at the time of purchase (anything else would require a full inspection, at a minimum, to identify any pre-existing conditions)

My service contract is through "AUL Corp", exclusionary was not available, so one level below that. They have covered some repairs partially (ie vanos solenoid was covered, but not all the parts to get to it; failed air spring was not covered).

Alternatively, you might check with your insurance company about "mechanical breakdown" coverage - Geico and maybe some other companies offer it.

There are several threads on this because there really isn't a simple answer - BMW's tend to be more expensive to maintain, and the actuaries know that.

Your M looks great - get out and drive it like it's meant to be driven and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
The more you read about these extended warranties the more confusion it creates. So far here is what I have learnt about these warranties by reading many many archives from many different enthusiast websites.

Also of note is, BMW now has extended the warranties on all N63 and S63 models covering the following items:

Injectors, FRM, drive shafts and ?????

Make sure the co is backed by a good underwriters
Initial purchase cost should be scrutinized more closely. Too cheap, you have a problem and too expensive, it can be negotiated. The selling dealers usually have 60-70% mark-up on these contract costs.
Make sure the warranties are exclusionary kinds or else you would have issues with the coverage.
Modified cars could have coverage issues too
Whatever company you decide to go with, don't forget to confirm with your local dealer to see what they think about that company
Read archives and google about the company
BBB ratings means nothing. All it tells you is how the company handles it's consumer complaints, that's all
Different dealers have different pricing on the same warranty depending on their mark-ups so feel free to shop around

Now let's get down to various warranty companies and their feedback: Please feel free to add you experiences with any of these or other companies.

The coverage is X5M specific and EC > exclusionary coverage;

AMT: Offered by my local GM store...competitive pricing (EC)
Toyota Maxcare: seems pretty promising and very competitive pricing (EC)
Route 66: Offered through local Credit Union but only powertrain coverage
First Mile offered by TWS (total warranty Services): (EC very expensive at a local BMW store)
Autopom: Good reviews but they are brokers so not too sure about the company that would provide the coverage though
Endurance: No coverage

Fidelity: Too expensive
Delta Auto Pilot: Sounded shaddy over the phone.
Penfed: Good and economical coverage but don't cover (X5M, AMG's)
CNA: No coverage

Will add as I keep narrowing down the field.

You guys rock
Quick there are couple of threads already related to X5m reliability and warranties that you may want to check
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
quick
Captain
Rep

Yes there are several threads on extended warranties but they are so scattered that for someone like me who's new to this site, it gets overwhelming very quickly.

By getting some basic information here would give them head start as to what the other threads are talking about.

Last edited by quick; 01-30-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:15 AM   #5
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Try Red shield. I already got a quote from them for $4,300 on a 2011 X5M with 65,700 miles. That is their premier/exclusionary warranty for 5 years/100,000 miles. I got the quote from an Autonation dealer. One month waiting period and no inspection. They determine the quote and level of protection offered based on the VIN.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
Yes there are several threads on extended warranties but they are so scattered that for someone like me who's new to this site, it gets overwhelming very quickly.

By getting some basic information here would give them head start as to what the other threads are talking about.
I am happy with Autopom as they have paid over 10 k for my repairs for

Air ducts
Evap core
Vacuum pump
Air supply and air spring for rear suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
quick
Captain
Rep

TWS (Total Warranty Services) who also sells "First mile" was one of the companies on my radar but 4 calls over 4 days and yet to have those friggen morons to give me few referrals where I could buy a contract.

every time I have called, i get to talk to Dwayne and every time I am told someone would call me within minutes but 4 days and still none.

A company that can't tell the consumer about their selling dealers, how could you trust them with a claim.

TWS/ First Mile
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
strikingdeep
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5m Apline White

New owner here, 2013 BMW X5m 65k miles. Reviving this thread for more information.

Fidelity quoted me $8,387 just for the Power Care plan.

Route 66 will not cover the X5m

Autpom will not cover the X5m

Various dealerships in the Northern VA area that carry Red Shield will not warranty a vehicle that was not sold from their dealership. Am i not calling the right dealership? Autobacs listed a great price for an exclusionary warranty but i cant even get anyone to give the warranty out. Does anyone have a local dealer that they have gotten a warranty through most recently? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
strikingdeep
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5m Apline White

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingdeep View Post
New owner here, 2013 BMW X5m 65k miles. Reviving this thread for more information.

Various dealerships in the Northern VA area that carry Red Shield will not warranty a vehicle that was not sold from their dealership. Am i not calling the right dealership? Autobacs listed a great price for an exclusionary warranty but i cant even get anyone to give the warranty out. Does anyone have a local dealer that they have gotten a warranty through most recently? Thanks guys.
Not sure if anyone is actually following this but figured it would be helpful to new owners. Took me a couple weeks of searching to narrow down some companies. CarChex was extremely pushy with me as far as getting the warranty, not disclosing the fact that they were a broker and i was actually getting the warranty through Royal Administration Services. Quoted 4800 for 3yr/30k miles. Royal Administration Services has a terrible score on BBB. Turns out Red Shield has changed their name to Veritas. AutoNation is selling the Premier Exclusionary warranty for 5100 2yr/24k miles. May have to just go with that one at the moment. I am running a catless down pipe, section 1&2 Supersprint and an Eisenmann axleback alone with the Active Autowerke tune. Anyone have any experience with dealing with claims and aftermarket parts? Torn between just having 5k a year for repairs vs paying out of pocket and then having Veritas say youre not covered due to the parts. Anyone with some experience would be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
quick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
CarChex was extremely pushy with me as far as getting the warranty, not disclosing the fact that they were a broker and i was actually getting the warranty through Royal Administration Services. Quoted 4800 for 3yr/30k miles. Royal Administration Services has a terrible score on BBB. T
Exactly why I cancelled mine with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hmmm. Not the case over here in the PNW. I had quotes from BMW Northwest and a local Chrysler dealership, both of whom are Auto Nation, for my Red Shield exclusionary warranty. I bought my X5M from a private party in San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I just wanted to add some info here.

I have a 2011 X5M with 60,800 miles. I have an Autonation gold extended warranty 3/36 that has been excellent and covered anything (but not everything) one could ask for. After buying the warranty in March of 2017 for $3500, I'm in the market for another extended warranty.

I've received a quote from the BMW dealership for a Red (I believe) platinum warranty for 60months/72K miles from current odometer reading for $5100 with $100 deductible.

Fidelity was $16,000 for a 3/36K mile warranty with $500 deductible.

Checking with my credit union.

After having has my Autonation warranty cover nearly 20K in repairs, I wouldn't own the M without one.... There car is in the shop right now getting extensive repairs including upper and lower oil pan gasket, front tension struts, evaporator coil, rear main seal, new aux coolant pump, emtl pump.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #13
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I just wanted to add some info here.

I have a 2011 X5M with 60,800 miles. I have an Autonation gold extended warranty 3/36 that has been excellent and covered anything (but not everything) one could ask for. After buying the warranty in March of 2017 for $3500, I'm in the market for another extended warranty.

I've received a quote from the BMW dealership for a Red (I believe) platinum warranty for 60months/72K miles from current odometer reading for $5100 with $100 deductible.

Fidelity was $16,000 for a 3/36K mile warranty with $500 deductible.

Checking with my credit union.

After having has my Autonation warranty cover nearly 20K in repairs, I wouldn't own the M without one.... There car is in the shop right now getting extensive repairs including upper and lower oil pan gasket, front tension struts, evaporator coil, rear main seal, new aux coolant pump, emtl pump.
YIKES! My dealer misdiagnosed my oil leak as the upper oil pan gasket and wanted $3100 to repair (it is a huge job). I took it to my indie and learned that it was the turbo oil cooler cover that's actually leaking. That kind of stuff happens way too often with the dealer for my taste.

$5100 for a 5yr/72k mile warranty sounds pretty appealing if they actually cover anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #14
quick
Captain
Rep

This exactly is the reason why I am reluctant to take the car to the dealer with an extended warranty.

All extended warranties have a cap (max allowable) which a dealer can max out in a very short time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
mcm87m6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXMMMMMW View Post
YIKES! My dealer misdiagnosed my oil leak as the upper oil pan gasket and wanted $3100 to repair (it is a huge job). I took it to my indie and learned that it was the turbo oil cooler cover that's actually leaking. That kind of stuff happens way too often with the dealer for my taste.

$5100 for a 5yr/72k mile warranty sounds pretty appealing if they actually cover anything.
I paid $4500 up to 125k for my '13 x5m; they're expensive and do not cover enough..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
quick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm87m6 View Post
I paid $4500 up to 125k for my '13 x5m; they're expensive and do not cover enough..
What company, coverage and inclusionary/exclusionary type?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #17
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
Try Red shield. I already got a quote from them for $4,300 on a 2011 X5M with 65,700 miles. That is their premier/exclusionary warranty for 5 years/100,000 miles. I got the quote from an Autonation dealer. One month waiting period and no inspection. They determine the quote and level of protection offered based on the VIN.
I just bought my car through an Autonation/BMW dealer and chose "Veritas", which to my knowledge used to be known as "Red Shield". Have you had any warranty claim issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #18
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
I just bought my car through an Autonation/BMW dealer and chose "Veritas", which to my knowledge used to be known as "Red Shield". Have you had any warranty claim issues?
No issues because I have not had a reason to file a claim
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #19
IN-FLT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Currently using https://myhealthcar.com/ for a 13' M .. haven't had to use yet.
Appreciate 0