XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

sport mode Vs. M mode

a quick questions to the more knowledgeble with the M X6, moving the gear shift activates the M/S mode which puts the car in the S for Sport mode (1) [or in the M for Manual mode if moving the shifter up or down].
Also, pressing the M button on the steering wheel unleashes the M dynamic mode (2).
the question I have is;
is the S mode (1) and the M dynamic mode (2) the same in the X6M or are they differtent, and if different, how so?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
As far as I know, the S mode is no the same as the M mode, M mod is a custom mode you can previously program, like DSC, accelerator remapped and EDC, the S mode just makes the car feel more sportier mostly gearbox behavior.
      09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6er View Post
a quick questions to the more knowledgeble with the M X6, moving the gear shift activates the M/S mode which puts the car in the S for Sport mode (1) [or in the M for Manual mode if moving the shifter up or down].
Also, pressing the M button on the steering wheel unleashes the M dynamic mode (2).
the question I have is;
is the S mode (1) and the M dynamic mode (2) the same in the X6M or are they differtent, and if different, how so?

S mode is a transmission mode ( shifts faster, more aggressive upshift/downshift )
M mode is your specific MDM setting ( traction) Power (eco /power) EDC ( comfort , sport )

Also S mode behaves diff with M mode set to power and eco

M mode is not the same as S mode as you can be in M mode with the gear in D ( Power on, MDM on but slower/less aggressive up/down shift)

For around town im in S mode with M on MDM/ECO/Comfort with frequent stops the downshift is a bit too aggressive in auto (down to 1st/2nd gear coming up to a stop) for some hwy S mode , MDM, Power , Sport edc (unless construction)
      09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

Good explanation.
So, if I understand you right; using the S mode alone gives a bit of a punch via transmission response while using M mode changes the dynamics of the car - using both is where the money is!
Thx for the response
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6er
Good explanation.
So, if I understand you right; using the S mode alone gives a bit of a punch via transmission response while using M mode changes the dynamics of the car - using both is where the money is!
Thx for the response
Yes , s mode will keep the car revs up and will down shift to 2nd or even 1st when you come to a stop or slow down for corner entry and work usually hold gear longer and only go to 5 even on hwy. also if you touch the paddle to manually up/down shift it will not auto up or down shift . in d mode if you manually up/down shift and it will change gears then after a few seconds will go back to d. (slowing down or to make a pass)

shifts are also much slower and smoother .