XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
carlos50
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 35d Dynamic

BMW Warranty & Mods - What do you guys do?

Hi all

I have a 2009 with extended BMW warranty and really want to do some mods, LED angel eyes, springs, exhaust, wheels, remap etc but have been put off by the thought of BMW voiding the warranty. What do you guys with brand new cars do after you mod your X6 when it comes to service time etc?

Some cars on here are highly modified, is it more that the owners arent bothered about any warranty worries?

Would i be right in thinking that since the exhaust isnt covered on an extended warranty (atleast not here in the UK) i could change that without worry? Same with the LED angel eyes as bulbs arent covered and wheels? Springs and remaps may be different? I cant help think BMW would void even for none covered items saying the car was not factory spec, especially wheels if 22" are fitted?

Would love to hear comments on this? I bought mine from BMW to have the warranty and recently passed on a very very good deal to have my car remapped through fear of cancellation when i go for service soon?

Thanks

Carl
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
ifly
Cruising!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Carlos, being a Brit living in the US we have different warranty laws at both the Federal and State levels when it comes to modifications but the overall gist here is that you can add things to the vehicle as long as you are not messing with any safety related items. If in doubt though always check with your dealer and get it in writing!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Agree -- check with your dealer- if you want to play it safe. Dinan has a good warranty relationship with BMW in USA for perf mods. I believe that most (if not, all) others don't have anything similar. For lighting et al see if there are genuine BMW retrofit kits to ensure complete compatibility. if you find the safer alternatives are too limiting -- just go for it and make the car exactly what you want. I've had mine over a year now and have had ZERO issues. Good luck in finding the right mods. These are great cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
ifly
Cruising!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Carlos, my son's friend works for BMW UK and he indicated they are significantly stricter when it comes to modifications in the UK than the US. He works at the facility that checks cars coming in for potential buyback due to BMW defects and finds all sorts of hacks have done things to the car. He recommended to check with the dealer and get anything in writing, or have them install and warranty it. That's totally different to here in the land of the free.

I guess they use the US write a law to stop you doing, it versus the UK write a law to allow you to do it practice!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
tcal69
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

yeah like most people say, speak to your dealer, built a relationship...

But to tell you the truth, is all good when the car has no problem, only when you want to replace something they will find very minor fault...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
abbott456
750bhp x5m, am i the first in NA?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [9.34]
for me, i dont give a damn about any warranty. you need to deal with your service adviser, i got my car invest another half car on it for the mods. anytime i have issues i still go to dealer and they fix it up free charge as well.~~~
2011 BMW X6 35i Base w Sport Pkg -Gone
2009 BMW X6 50i Full Loaded -Gone
Appreciate 0