XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

Worth It? Extended Warranty for ActiveHybrid

I'm hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not getting an extended vehicle warranty would make sense for me. My 2010 ActiveHybrid has 30,400 miles. I found what I believe to be a pretty good deal on a comprehensive vehicle protection plan with USAA. For example, I can get a service agreement for $2,162. It provides zero deductible coverage for 48 months (from plan purchase date) or 60,000 miles (in addition to current mileage at time of plan purchase), whichever occurs first. However, I'm on the fence about whether or not it is worth buying.

I drive my car less than 10,000 miles per year, so I think I'll get the full 48 months from the plan. However, if I decide to sell the vehicle sooner, I can get a refund of the unused portion of the plan. Had my car not been a hybrid, I would probably pass on the plan, but I've always been concerned about one of its electrical components malfunctioning after the OEM warranty expires. For example, the steering, brakes and air conditioning on the hybrids are different because they must continue to operate without the engine running. Also, the transmissions on our hybrids are CVTs and the vehicles have two electric motors that conventional vehicles don't have. I believe the plan covers these and most other essential components and parts, but it does not cover the hybrid battery pack itself. Finally, it is fully refundable within the first 60 days and refundable on a prorated basis after that.

Any opinions?

Here are links to the sample agreement:

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/st...id=800409118_p

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/st...a-2014-02-07_p

Last edited by rios0311; 02-09-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
RDX6
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 35i

rios0311,

This topic seems to always be a hot issue and will continue to as along as there are cars and people.

There are probably between 3 to 5 categories most premium car owners fit in and what I mean by premium is mostly BMW, MB, Porsche, Land, Jag and Audi. Lambs, Bents, Ferr, Astons are what I consider Exotic cars and are a whole different ball game away from this forum.

For this discussion I will stick with 3 categories of owners:
1.DIY Guy - This person will tell you to not get a warranty, do it all yourself.
2.Take It In Guy - This person will tell you to get the best warranty possible. Will not pick up a screw driver.
3.50\50 Guy - This person would tell you to get the best warranty you can afford. Will do some basic modes and stuff but no engine work.

Based on the question you are asking I am a 50/50 Guy. So my advice since we are dealing with premium foreign cars I tend to get the best third party warranty out there which is typically the "Exclusionary policies".

Here is my thought process, when you buy a new car something is going to go wrong whether small or big. Your new car warranty takes care of it, no money out of your pocket. Now once it's out of warranty, then the repair bill is out of your pocket. In my experience the odds of something going wrong is greater than nothing going wrong during the next 2 or 3 years of an extended warranty. Even if you baby your car like I do, odds are if you drive it some things going to break.

I'm a used car buyer so for me an extended warranty is a must, it gives me a piece of mind and if I only used 500 dollars of a 3000 dollar warranty, that's an acceptable risk to me. But in my experience with foreign cars, $3000 is a drop in the bucket for one or two repairs on these types of cars.

A warranty is a must, however the real tricky part to me is select the right warranty company.

My Porsche Cayenne - EasyCare (little pricey) but they paid all claims no problem.

My MB SL500 - AutoPom (competitive pricing) but they paid all claims no problem.

My one knock on either, was always some little things they wouldn't pay for like some seal glue or something that was between 30 and 60 bucks that you would think they would be yet it was still less than $2500 water pump, valve cover gaskets, navigation system..etc.

Now if I had a domestic car I probably wouldn't buy a warranty because repairs would probably be a reasonable out of pocket expense.

My two cents, hopefully this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

It is helpful. Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

I bought an extended warranty for my activehybrid from SAL. 4 years/80,000km with $200 deductible for $5000 CAD taxes in. Its the supreme coverage which is basically bumper to bumper with some exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Sa3064
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6m

I am the guy who barely knows where to put the gas... however, I am also a numbers guy. Great way to categorize the owners.

Backstory here:
I purchased a used X6M with 35,000 miles on it in June 2012 from a friend who took incredible care of the vehicle. I used to tease him about how he never even took it outside and over the last 19 months, I put 60,000 miles on the "Stealth Bomber" (my pet name for the car)

Despite that, I spent the $5,200 and just sucked it up, buying the Platinum with 100,000 miles and am glad I did.

Several months ago, I had a lurching noise when the car was going between first and second gear. They replaced something under that hood-thing (self effacing humor there) and all I remember is that it would have been $4,500. Two weeks ago, I was driving home and "Engine Malfunction: Operating at Reduced Power" indication came on and the car made some terrible noises. $8,000 later, they replaced the following
-Replaced basic control unit (main computer)
-Replaced decoupling element (no idea what that means... does it operate the cigarette lighter or something?)
-Replaced auxiliary water pump (turbo cooling)
-Replaced all 8 fuel injectors

Also, they did an oil service, coolant, power steering and transfer case change (another $1100)

If you are the never lift a screwdriver kinda guy who is completely anal about costs and drives cars until they die, GET THE WARRANTY!!

Thanks and back on the roads with a stupid smile on my face.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

According to insurance/warranty studies, the payout for claims is approximately 1-2%... That is very low IMO. But you will need to weight the cost of potential/necessary repairs vs. the warranty cost to see if it is worth while package.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
RDX6
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 35i

Bim Power & SA3604,

Great points and yes there are a number factors in there, which should help with making a education decision. One point that sticks with me, is when you buy a brand new car, the new car warranty cost is factored into the purchase price. When you buy a used car it is not, thus the lower price for used cars. So when I buy a used car I tack on an extra 3k to 4k along with sales tax, doc fee, etc etc, because it is a new "used" car to me!! hahah At the end of the day you pay enough in wear\tear items plus preventative maintenance, why position yourself to potentially have to pay for something that "IS" going to break at some point in time. Oh and my mods, install the clear front reflectors and installed a little brighter fog light bulbs!
Attached Images

Last edited by RDX6; 02-14-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Wow, $5,000 CAD and $4,500 USD for extended warranties. So I guess $2,100 for USAA's 4 yr/60,000 mile warranty is a decent deal. I think I will go with that.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle View Post
I bought an extended warranty for my activehybrid from SAL. 4 years/80,000km with $200 deductible for $5000 CAD taxes in. Its the supreme coverage which is basically bumper to bumper with some exceptions.
How you making out with SAL? IMO worst ever. All my claims were disputed with them. They attempted to deny everything. Horrible. These claims were straight forward and were essentially OE parts failures things that factory warranty would cover not even a question. It was not until litigation they considered paying and then they wanted to negotiate!! They also wanted to use rebuilt or used parts..LKQ.Bunch of scam thieves IMO. I wish you Good Luck 'cause you will need it if you have a claim.

Appreciate 0