XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Anyone added oil yet ?

I was reading the section in the manual about adding oil and wondered if anyone had experienced this yet. The wording seems to suggest you don't add oil until it's a quart low and then it will tell you add a quart ?

I know from my wife's car the sensor thing can be a pain in the ass when you are trying to add less than a quart (like half quart).

I usually make sure oil is full before long trips, especially to desert.

thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

well,becouse car is new,it is not unususal to "eat" oil for first 1000 km,but you dont need to worry..before long trip make check and that it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I was reading the section in the manual about adding oil and wondered if anyone had experienced this yet. The wording seems to suggest you don't add oil until it's a quart low and then it will tell you add a quart ?

I know from my wife's car the sensor thing can be a pain in the ass when you are trying to add less than a quart (like half quart).

I usually make sure oil is full before long trips, especially to desert.

thoughts ?
I've given up checking the oil ( A very stretch of the definition) in my X3.I hate not having a dipstick to ck.I know that sounds ole fashion....I just don't completely trust the engine electronics on modern auto's....esp on something as critical as engine oil.I will occasionally hit the button when I've pulled in the garage,and on level ground,after letting the car idle for a few minutes.The oil level gauge has never shown anything other they full....that's on about 24k miles in just over a year.PS... I forgot you have the 50i.Does the TTV8 have a real dipstick or the "electronic dipstick" Thanks! PalBay
      08-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
I hate not having a dipstick to ck.I know that sounds ole fashion....I just don't completely trust the engine electronics on modern auto's....esp on something as critical as engine oil.
I'm the opposite. I have wondered for years why everything else in the vehicle can be monitored electronically but we still have to check the oil level with a flimsy rod being shoved into a small hole!

I don't know how the TTV8 will fare, but my '02 4.4 X5 has never needed oil between changes, even though it has been supercharged for the last 50,000 km and I only change the oil every 12,000 km. But I think BMW engines can vary quite a lot in their oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
I've given up checking the oil ( A very stretch of the definition) in my X3.I hate not having a dipstick to ck.I know that sounds ole fashion....I just don't completely trust the engine electronics on modern auto's....esp on something as critical as engine oil.I will occasionally hit the button when I've pulled in the garage,and on level ground,after letting the car idle for a few minutes.The oil level gauge has never shown anything other they full....that's on about 24k miles in just over a year.PS... I forgot you have the 50i.Does the TTV8 have a real dipstick or the "electronic dipstick" Thanks! PalBay
It has electronic dipstick , I guess I'm not clear what each of the bars in graphic represent. If I knew that each bar was 1/4 quart then it would easy to make sure it was full before long trips (although it doesn't actually tell you how to add and check). The other thing that throws me is the picture in the manual shows the bars being half way between "min" and "max", shouldn't it be "max" ?

I like the idea of it telling me to "add a quart" when it's a quart down. But in some respects miss the old dipstick to "top it off". Maybe if I get a better explanation of what the bars means then I will get more comfortable being dipstickless.

The way it is now I think the manual is telling me don't do anything until you're told to.

Last edited by dmlgc; 08-20-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0