XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #23
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
BMWs have always had optimistic speedometers, although being accurate at 100 MPH is new to me. Their consumption figures are usually pretty accurate as they measure fuel usage from the amounts that get injected -- obviously the computer knows that number very precisely -- and their odometers are generally much more accurate than their speedometers.

'Chipping' the turbo'd engines will make the computer MPG readings inaccurate as the ECU is fooled into injecting more fuel than it thinks it is doing. So you will get optimistic MPG readings if you go that route.
I have to agree that the on board computer is pretty accurate. So far my last two tanks have been as follows: first tank = on board computer was 12.0 while actual logged as miles divided by purchased fuel was 11.8 and second tank was on board computer = 11.9 while actual logged was 11.678.

I am sure there is a little human error depending on whether or not the fuel lever stopped at exactly the same point both times so I tend to think the on board computer may be a little more accurate
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #24
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I have to agree that the on board computer is pretty accurate. So far my last two tanks have been as follows: first tank = on board computer was 12.0 while actual logged as miles divided by purchased fuel was 11.8 and second tank was on board computer = 11.9 while actual logged was 11.678.

I am sure there is a little human error depending on whether or not the fuel lever stopped at exactly the same point both times so I tend to think the on board computer may be a little more accurate
I agree. Depending on the amount of pressure buildup during re-filling the tank (I'm talking about the gas tank here not the X6 ), the pump may trigger prematurely and cuts the fuel off. Unless you fill up the tank to the point where the gas is actually overflowing, there is NO guarantee that the tank is always filled up to the exact same point. This can also vary from pump to pump.

The other point I like to make is that people are saying that the on-board computer may not be accurate enough. Well, the on-board computer knows exactly how much gas was used and exactly how far you traveled. So based on these two factors, I would argue that the on-board computer is by far the most accurate. If people use the 'fill up at the pump' technique by dividing the miles or kilometers they traveled (which the on-board computer provides!) by the gallons or liters they put into the tank AND you consider what I pointed out above, I think it shows that this technique can't be as accurate. You may get close, but I highly doubt you get it as close to the REAL consumption as the on-board computer does!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0