XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Thinking of making the switch.

Let me preface my post by saying I have always hated X6's since the first day. lol. I never liked the look of them or understood their purpose in the market. Long story short, since they have been out for some time now, they have started to grow on me. I currently have a 2012 E92 M3 which is sick and I love it. But I have this disease called not being to keep one car for too long.

I have had the M3 for less than a year and I am already getting an itch for something else. I looked at other sports cars etc but then got to thinking of getting a SUV for better winter and general practicality as well as more comfort. I am looking at a 2013 X6M with fairly low km's and wondering if it's something I should go for.

I am still debating the looks as I certainly prefer the X5M better but the value seems better on the X6M with fewer km's etc. Any issues with these or problems I should be worried about? My M3 will be running out of warranty as of January and that is one of the reasons even though I've only had it for 8-9 months. The rod bearing issues keep cropping up so that's a little concern at the back of the head.

Anyway just thought I'd some opinions and thoughts by actual X6M owners and see if that helps me make up my mind or deters me. Especially going from the E92 M3. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I love the X6, from the first time I saw it. . I don't have the luxury of having two vehicles. I prefer rear wheel and the drive of a car but I need AWD for winter. It's like a 6er and an X5 had a baby - the best of both worlds. I miss my '13 X6M every day. It was a beast. There are improvements in the new generation but my heart will always belong to the E71s.

My only concern would be owning out of warranty. I lease so I never get to that point. But if you get the itch every year, you should be good.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I love the X6, from the first time I saw it. . I don't have the luxury of having two vehicles. I prefer rear wheel and the drive of a car but I need AWD for winter. It's like a 6er and an X5 had a baby - the best of both worlds. I miss my '13 X6M every day. It was a beast. There are improvements in the new generation but my heart will always belong to the E71s.

My only concern would be owning out of warranty. I lease so I never get to that point. But if you get the itch every year, you should be good.
Thank you for your post. What difference do you find between the 2013 and the 2016? Would you recommend spending $60K-$70K extra in order to get the brand new vs a 2013 one? Are the improvements worth it? I am not sure what changes they even made on the newer ones except from what I can tell physically.

I'd like to lease as well ideally but can't lease order ones and the new ones would be super high payments as they sit around $130K. Brand new I could probably get a X4 'M' for around the same price as a 2013 X6 M, any ideas/suggestions between them?
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
If I could do it all over again, other than the itch for a new vehicle, I would have stayed in my '13 a little longer.

The '13 looked menacing. I miss the power dome hood and the "odd" look of it. The stance in general. The air intakes up front.
The '16 is prettier, more refined, and looks more like the rest of the lineup.

The '13 seemed more solid in handling. It was glued to ramps. I think the '13 brakes grabbed better.

I miss the seats in the '13. I miss the side view mirrors in the '13.

The '16 transmission is smoother. The '16 has more gadgets and tech stuff. The lane departure, blind spot thing on the side views... I'm not a gadget person but you get the idea. It also has more settings. The '16 also has the M shifter, which the '13 did not. It had the push forward for reverse and pull backwards for drive, over to the right for sport/manual.

Bottom line is what I like, you may not. I would suggest you test drive both.

I hope this helps. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Whether you like or dislike any vehicle is of course nothing more than a preference thing...and over the years I have read just about everything I can on X6Ms...I bought mine as a used two year old certified (Nov 12 production)...with warranty through Nov 18. I won't be changing it any time soon but plan a test drive in a 2016 for my own comparison.

Your opening "always hated it" blurb is pretty standard stuff usually from folks who drive in the mundane stream although I am not placing you in that category. That usually ends once someone drives one particularly a 5.0...or the X6M. My kids are long gone...and when we seat 4 adults we do without issue. I could not care less about a more boxy backend to move an extra few cubic feet of junk...In fact we have never done that or even dropped the rear seats except while detailed cleaning. Suffice to say more room than we need.

It’s all about the driving experience for me, echo what's been said, and in that I can't fault this vehicle. We have an X3 as a runabout...and use the X6M for longer trips and weekends....with more longer trips on the horizon.

From a driver maint perspective...I like to do my own, and supplement the BMW service as needed....and will do the lion’s share of filters/fluids/brakes/plugs etc once the free ride is over. So far I find the X6M is easy to work on. And more simpler than other E71s.

FYI, my mpg in Canada sits around 15.2l/100km (worst case winter/ urban)...down to 12.2l/100km or 22MPG highway which I am fine with....I find that pretty good in comparison.

If you buy a 2013 X6M...make sure the recall has been done on the injectors (free replacement if needed) and on the upgrade to a more robust crankcase connecting line. I would only buy a BMW certified one which of course will cost a bit more.

The X5M over the X6M etc is at the end of the day nothing more than a choice. IMHO, want a box...buy the X5M or another box such as the new XC90. Want a coupe type deal...then its the X6M or the new Merc copy, the GLE AMG which can be seen getting its butt kicked in the picture.

Good luck...BF
Attached Images

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 05-17-2016 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Think I've made up my mind about going with a 2012 x5m in the blue that I always liked. Thank you everyone for your input it's much appreciated. Ultimately it came down to what I love and I figured if I don't feel that way about the x6m now I am not going to down the line. Plus the x5m had a reasonably better deal on it so i am fairly sure that's what I am going with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Think I've made up my mind about going with a 2012 x5m in the blue that I always liked. Thank you everyone for your input it's much appreciated. Ultimately it came down to what I love and I figured if I don't feel that way about the x6m now I am not going to down the line. Plus the x5m had a reasonably better deal on it so i am fairly sure that's what I am going with.
congrats, are you in Calgary? if so we can meet up
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
Quote:
congrats, are you in Calgary? if so we can meet up
I am in Calgary and Edmonton both. I think we might know each other as your username sounds familiar. I used to have a 350Z with 20" matte black rims, carbon fibre hood etc and always parked in the u of c parkade where you guys met me and told me about the u of c car club or something?

If I am not mistaken you had a supercharged g35?? What are you driving these days?

Last edited by ksa; 05-18-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Quote:
I am in Calgary and Edmonton both. I think we might know each other as your username sounds familiar. I used to have a 350Z with 20" matte black rims, carbon fibre hood etc and always parked in the u of c parkade where you guys met me and told me about the u of c car club or something?

If I am not mistaken you had a supercharged g35?? What are you driving these days?
lol, small world, yea u had me right, I have a 2013 blue X5M now, haha
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
lol, small world, yea u had me right, I have a 2013 blue X5M now, haha
Haha small world indeed. Great vehicle you got. I went long ways from the 350z days. Had a C350 then a C63AMG then the M3 and not the X5M more or less. lol.

Hopefully this will settle my cravings and I can keep one thing for more than 2 years. Plan is to have it for at least 4. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #11
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
"Let me preface my post by saying I have always hated X6's since the first day" - I am sorry, but I have to totally disagree with you on this one. First of all, I think that any vehicle that comes out of BMW's factory is a piece of art in it's own way. Same stands for X6M E71. I think that designers team at BMW are geniuses. Every time I look at my X6M I cannot believe how every detail of this car is well thought of. I am attaching several images for you to tell me which part of this beauty you hate or maybe hated in the past As for X5M vs X6M, there is approximately $10k difference in cost (X5M being the cheaper model). I've had my X6M since 2011, love every day that I drive it and would not trade it for any other vehicle out there. (possibly new X6M model, but that is also debatable).
Attached Images

Last edited by igorbmwx6; 05-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: add more images
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Have fun with the new car!

If reviews are any reflection of the population at large, I think a lot of people found the X6 extremely polarizing. I obviously fell into the "I love it!" camp, as I started with the I6 engine, gave it the Dinan treatment, and last year traded to a 2014 M (side note: an incredible price since it was outgoing), which I am now convinced is absolutely the perfect car for me.

That being said, my hunch is that coming from an M3 you're going to be disappointed with the handling and feel, and that these feelings will not be outweighed by the utility. I saw you went with an X5M, which, depending on your circumstances, may be marginally more of a useful car, but again I suspect you'll be feeling the itch for something smaller and sportier in a very short time. At least you won't have to deal with the shade from those who still don't appreciate the X6s lol.

Since these will probably pertain to your X5 as well, to date, the only problems I've faced on the M were with factory recalls, and once a weird thing where the CEL popped up for a second, then the engine started lugging and experiencing reduced power. I stopped and restarted the car and all was well, my service advisor claimed he couldn't find any record of the problem, and it hasn't reoccured, so I'm assuming (hoping!) a one-time hiccup.

Oh, one other thing about the M: if you're not ready for it, the fuel consumption is breathtaking. If I'm lucky, I can get around 240 miles out of a full tank. Don't have the actual stats in front of me, but I'm pretty sure mpg is atrocious. If you're highway cruising, it's goes from horrifically bad to just bad, but something else to keep in mind. I kind of don't care, but at the same time I do. Isn't gas more expensive up there in Canada? I should know these things since I might need to escape there if "President Trump" becomes a real thing.

Also, since I think the I6 shared some components, I will say that car had only one major repair that I can remember: the AC had an issue outside the warranty, and the quote from the dealership nearly gave me a heart attack. Something like US$6-7K IIRC. Took it to a local indy shop and got it fixed for a fraction of that, but still in the couple thousands. Something to keep in mind as I'm pretty sure my research turned up quite a few people complaining about the AC.

You probably know this already, but routine maintenance will also be pricy, as I took my post-warranty work to a local indy and while always better than the dealer, it still usually came out to 4 digits for pretty much anything except an oil change.

Other than these issues, the I6 was pretty solid for the 4+ years I had it, and I'm hoping the M holds up as well if not better.

Quote:
Let me preface my post by saying I have always hated X6's since the first day. lol. I never liked the look of them or understood their purpose in the market. Long story short, since they have been out for some time now, they have started to grow on me. I currently have a 2012 E92 M3 which is sick and I love it. But I have this disease called not being to keep one car for too long.

I have had the M3 for less than a year and I am already getting an itch for something else. I looked at other sports cars etc but then got to thinking of getting a SUV for better winter and general practicality as well as more comfort. I am looking at a 2013 X6M with fairly low km's and wondering if it's something I should go for.

I am still debating the looks as I certainly prefer the X5M better but the value seems better on the X6M with fewer km's etc. Any issues with these or problems I should be worried about? My M3 will be running out of warranty as of January and that is one of the reasons even though I've only had it for 8-9 months. The rod bearing issues keep cropping up so that's a little concern at the back of the head.

Anyway just thought I'd some opinions and thoughts by actual X6M owners and see if that helps me make up my mind or deters me. Especially going from the E92 M3. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Rygel XXV; 05-25-2016 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Added comment about fuel consumption.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Igor, I like the way you roll man. My car's a twin to yours. See you in the South Bay some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
"Let me preface my post by saying I have always hated X6's since the first day" - I am sorry, but I have to totally disagree with you on this one. First of all, I think that any vehicle that comes out of BMW's factory is a piece of art in it's own way. Same stands for X6M E71. I think that designers team at BMW are geniuses. Every time I look at my X6M I cannot believe how every detail of this car is well thought of. I am attaching several images for you to tell me which part of this beauty you hate or maybe hated in the past As for X5M vs X6M, there is approximately $10k difference in cost (X5M being the cheaper model). I've had my X6M since 2011, love every day that I drive it and would not trade it for any other vehicle out there. (possibly new X6M model, but that is also debatable).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all your posts. The comments are much appreciated. And yes it is correct I went with the X5M because I just couldn't shake the feelings I had in regards to the X6M's looks. I am not saying it's an ugly vehicle at all but looks are subjective. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" correct? Just cause I don't like it doesn't mean it makes it bad or anything. I am sure plenty of people don't like the X5M either.

I went with extra warranty because of course I want to make sure I don't run into issues with it. Here it is guys;

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #15
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
If I could do it all over again, other than the itch for a new vehicle, I would have stayed in my '13 a little longer.

The '13 looked menacing. I miss the power dome hood and the "odd" look of it. The stance in general. The air intakes up front.
The '16 is prettier, more refined, and looks more like the rest of the lineup.

The '13 seemed more solid in handling. It was glued to ramps. I think the '13 brakes grabbed better.

I miss the seats in the '13. I miss the side view mirrors in the '13.

The '16 transmission is smoother. The '16 has more gadgets and tech stuff. The lane departure, blind spot thing on the side views... I'm not a gadget person but you get the idea. It also has more settings. The '16 also has the M shifter, which the '13 did not. It had the push forward for reverse and pull backwards for drive, over to the right for sport/manual.
I agree with you 100%. I had to move from my '12 to a '15 because my '12 was totaled. I absolutely love everything on the inside of the new car (except the seat) and adaptive cruise, but I believe that the handling of my '12 was superior. I miss my old car every day.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Excellent color choice. I was going to recommend the SQ5, but your choice with the X5M is also fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #17
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I agree with you 100%. I had to move from my '12 to a '15 because my '12 was totaled. I absolutely love everything on the inside of the new car (except the seat) and adaptive cruise, but I believe that the handling of my '12 was superior. I miss my old car every day.
I miss those awesome multi contour seats from the E71 so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #18
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Smart move. Congrats.
Appreciate 0