XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Considering trading our 35d for 35i? Also, lease rate questions?

We have an 09 X5 35d - Alpine White w/ Tobacco Interior. It has the premium package, sport package including adaptive drive, rear HVAC, comfort access, etc. It lacks premium audio, nav, heated seats, rear camera.

The warranty expires this coming Summer, and with almost 37k miles, we're growing a tad bit tired of the diesel. First, it's just loud, especially at slow speeds. Getting into and out of our neighborhood requires 1 mile of driving on 25 mph roads with three stop signs, and it's just a bit loud. It also vibrates a bit too much which causes some annoying rattles from time to time. It's also a bit sluggish, it just doesn't feel very responsive or fast. It doesn't feel like a sub-7 second 0-60 car. Finally, diesel gas is running $0.40 to $0.50 more than Premium now which somewhat negates the mpg benefit of diesel. For what it's worth, our liftime average for mpg is 21.5-22mpg, so that's not so bad, but considering with the gas 10-15% more expensive, I think a 35i vs 35d becomes a wash on cost of fuel.

It's my wife's daily driver, and she also really misses heated seats and a reverse camera. Instead of plopping $4k for an extended warranty, we're now considering getting a 2012 x35i, looking for: faster/more responsive, quieter/smoother, better looking LCI bumpers, more options like backup cam and heated seats.

Has anyone else made this switch? Also, is there any notable build quality improvements from 09 to 12. I find the overall interior build quality of these to be pretty pathetic considering their price. The E90 is much better put together and it's much cheaper. We have some areas of rattles and during cornering the flex makes the interior parts squeak a bit. Because of that, we're also considering other cars like the new ML350 or even the RX450H. I know the BMW drives great, but it's still an SUV, so having additional luxury over pure performance may be worthwhile. Has anyone driven the new ML350?

We also don't keep cars terribly long, so now leasing seems like a reasonable alternative. What should I expect a lease rate to be on an X5 with a sticker around $65k. It seems used 2012s that we want are $50k+, so leasing new may make more sense. 12k miles per year is sufficient, and I believe in Texas we have to pay tax on the total value. BMW lists a $599 / month lease rate on X5 Sport, but I'm sure my dealer will find some way to wrench that lease rate ridiculously.

Cheers!

Last edited by U235; 01-01-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Lease calculator:
http://www.ridewithg.com/calculator/index.html

Lease rates:
http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2...december-2012/

You will have to negotiate sale price and Money Factor (interest) with the dealership. You can put up to 7 security deposits to lower your MF by 0.0007 each. One security deposit is equal to one monthly payment rounded up.

I just negotiated a 2013 X5-35d with MSRP 65k for around $870/month with a 15k/year lease. 12k/year is about $30/month cheaper. I kept asking myself what is my exposed risk over 3 years; 35 x my monthly payment (first payment is covered by a rebate) so basically $30k or 10k/yr. Leasing might not be for me, but I'm giving it a try to find out.

Sorry to hear about your dislikes on the 35d. I'm super excited to get into one after test driving a few. I know the mpg advantage is almost a wash with higher cost for diesel. I'm happy with a lease, the residual is set and I don't have to put away 65Gs for 3 years (assuming I would buy the car outright). I considered financing but with the new X5 model arriving 2014 I have the options to 'upgrade'.

Last edited by Rekla; 01-01-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
Lease calculator:
http://www.ridewithg.com/calculator/index.html

Lease rates:
http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2...december-2012/

You will have to negotiate sale price and Money Factor (interest) with the dealership. You can put up to 7 security deposits to lower your MF by 0.0007 each. One security deposit is equal to one monthly payment rounded up.

I just negotiated a 2013 X5-35d with MSRP 65k for around $870/month with a 15k/year lease. 12k/year is about $30/month cheaper.

Sorry to hear about your dislikes on the 35d. I'm super excited to get into one after test driving a few. I know the mpg advantage is almost a wash with higher cost for diesel. I'm happy with a lease, the residual is set and I don't have to put away 65Gs for 3 years (assuming I would buy the car outright). I considered financing but with the new X5 model arriving 2014 I have the options to 'upgrade'.
Thanks, I used to have an 08 Z4MC ironically.

I was really zealous about the diesel when we got it, but the novelty wore off for me. It's not bad if you have the radio on, but we drive it with family or clients with no music and it's just a bit too loud for our tastes, but others don't seem to mind. Also, I've not been able to get the 26 mpg advertised by BMW. I regularly drive 167 miles from Austin to Houston. I've driven the same route for 10 years. I always go 4 mph over the speed limit using cruise control. I'm only able to get 24-24.5 mpg with the X5 where past cars have been able to get 1-2 mpg over the sticker HWY rating. Including our old 2010 VW Jetta TDI where I could get 45 mpg against a 41 sticker. My S4 is rated at 27 hwy and I can get 28 on that route, but the X5 gets well under 26. I had a service loaner two trips ago, a 2011 E90 328i auto, rated at 28, I got 29.5 on the route.

Was your lease with $0 down? I know how to use the calculators, I was more curious about all of the rebates available and what MF BMW is offering and at what residuals. The ones linked actually don't look that good. There are ones on BMWUSA.com that appear better, but I haven't broken them down.

Cheers, congrats on the new ride,
Brian

Last edited by U235; 01-01-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Devimik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35i Sports Activity

I recently leased a 2013 X5 35i with the sport activity, convenience, technology, luxury seating, cold weather, premium sound, 3rd row seats, apps and running boards, about $70K. I put nothing down and my payment is about $1K per month on a 15K miles/yr. 36 month lease. Very happy with the 35i and the lease is my preferred option because we want a new one after a couple of years anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
Thanks, I used to have an 08 Z4MC ironically.

Was your lease with $0 down? I know how to use the calculators, I was more curious about all of the rebates available and what MF BMW is offering and at what residuals. The ones linked actually don't look that good. There are ones on BMWUSA.com that appear better, but I haven't broken them down.

Cheers, congrats on the new ride,
Brian

Awesome ride Z4MC Brian! Took mine today for a spin and absolutely love driving that thing!

Yes, my lease is with $0 down (always put down as little as possible on a lease) and I had $4,500 in credits and $2,250 in rebates. I negotiated the advertised MF and then deducted 7 MSD's - so I did agree on 7 MSD's. Looking back to the numbers, I think I could have done better on the sale price, but with the low MF set - I hope to "roll-over" the lease with the same MF in December 2015 with year end deals effective then (assuming I like to lease). I am also a BMW CCA member and they offer a $1k rebate/check on a new X5 (regardless of lease, finance or purchase). You have to be a member for 1 year in order to qualify though.