XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
samson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0, black on tan.

Road Noise Advice and dealing with BMW service?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Greetings. I own a 2011 X5 5.0 with exactly 250 miles left on warranty (49,750 on ODO).

About a month ago I noticed intermittent road noise coming from the car. It primarily occurs when I get up to 30 to 40 miles per hour. At times it whines loudly and at times it goes away. I did not really think a lot about it until I drove my girlfriends Honda Element and realized that it is quieter than my car.

I took my car to my tire guys (Grand Turismo East in Chamblee, GA), to take a look at it. They still balance wheels by hand and know what they are doing. They said that the front drivers side bearing was a possible culprit, but they also could hear the rear pinion screaming and felt confident that was the issue.

Being that my vehicle is almost out of warranty, I took it to my dealer, Nalley BMW, today. I told them what Gran Turismo had said and they road tested the car. The mechanic stated that it sounded like the tires. When I pointed out that the tires were Michelin Pilots with less than 5,000 miles on them, he agreed that was probably not the issue.

My SA just called me and told me that it is just road noise from the tires. She even stated that the shop foreman got involved and when they put the vehicle in the air they could not find a problem.

With the car almost out of warranty, I am not sure what my next step should be. I am confident in saying that up until a month ago the vehicle was very quiet ( as a $75,000 car should be). I am also pretty confident that within another few months I will have a bigger issue which I will have to pay for when it goes out of warranty.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
1996 325 convertible - retired
1989 535i - retired
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Why didn't you take a video "the rear pinion screaming "? The techs at dealerships rarely want to look at the car unless it has a code. No code - no problem. Things like these need to be recorded.
I had to deal with that, where driver's door was rattling, and taking the drive with foreman - he couldn't hear. Only after I took a video recording were they convinced. Turned out - a lose screw in the door. Noise gone.
Appreciate 0