XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

X5M Brembos!!! Pics!!

All,

Look what came in the mail yesterday from the good folks at VELOS!!

Thank you Omar for your patience and assistance on these.

All, I can't even begin to tell you how enormous these calipers and rotors are. My dad is a big Bentley guy and has a few GTs (speed, GTC, super sport) and the rotors that come on them are equally as massive as these brembos!

Not nearly as beautiful though. Brembo makes such an incredible product.

I went with te silver and red lettering becuase I wanted these to be subtle yet still stand out. I have a space grey theme going on with my black sapphire X5M so these were te perfect touch. I was going to do a custom color, but I am so happy how these turned out.

Now Omar get those sets of wheels out so we can get these bad boys on!! Hah

Wait to you see the wheels that Velos is coming out with. I think he has a pic of them on his 435. These are going to look so good with the brembos!

Thanks again Omar and stay tuned for more pics!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Jealous!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Pretty sure I just got a hard on definitely want pics on the M!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Curious, what's the total cost for parts? Direct bolt on with no modification?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar
Curious, what's the total cost for parts? Direct bolt on with no modification?
Me also
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Brembo makes these specifically for the X5M. All the necessary brackets and equipment come with the kit. I do need to get DOT4 brake fluid desperately.

The front kit retails online from Brembo for $4799 I believe. Since I bought through Velos and Omar and had previously bought a tune and now ordered wheels from him he gave me a very good deal.

Reach out to Omar and see what e can do for you.

The nice thing about Brembo is that they also make the rears and the necessary brackets to retain the E brake. In some states (in live in MA) if you don't have the E brake engaged you will fail inspection.

There is no other company on the market that makes a kit that will be perfect OEM fitment and give the performance for the X5 like Brembo. I would never go with any other brand and have used STOPTECH, AP in the past. The performance, durability, the finish on the caliper is far superior from Brembo in my experience. We all have our preferences right...I just prefer Brembo.

Hopefully pics in a few weeks once the wheels are built, painted and shipped.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

A bbk is next on my list after exhaust. Any plans to get the rear setup?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

Nice! i cant wait to see it all done.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

The rear will be coming during the late spring or summer at latest. Keep in mind that having to buy forged wheels just to accommodate these monsters was a big additional expense. But hey, stock wheels never truly compliment a BBK anyways unless its a super car!

Omar won't allow me to post pics of the wheels or at least a good clean pic of them, but what the hell it's a teaser and I'm sure if it helps him why not!

These pics don't do these wheels justice. The milling and detail in these wheels are beautiful. I am a sucker for a classic split 5 spoke and think with the color we are going for is going to look incredible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

What is the size difference (thickness and diameter) between the Brembo and stock?
      01-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Brembo is 405mm by 34mm. The rears will be 380 by 28, but the rears also will now have a 4 piston instead of a sliding 2 or 1 piston.

For the don't the sizing is certainly important. However, this will also shed a good amount of weight and going with a cross drilled set up, will dissipate water or anything else that comes in contact with the rotor a lot quicker. Going slotted for me was a consideration, but because this truck is going to be going through massive amounts of track time cross drilled will be more than adequate.

There is almost certainly nothing but benefits and gains to be made going with this conversion opposed to the OEM set up. Don't get me wrong the OEM works well. I personally just don't like the pedal feel and the lack of initial bite from OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I agree about the size comment. The 2 most important aspects of brakes are the ability to shed heat, and rotational mass. My inquiry about the diameter was to figure out why you needed larger wheels. Looks like one hell of a set-up!
      01-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I actually am sticking with 20s but I needed to have them custom made. The stock wheels don't clear because the brakes hit the barrel and not the spokes!

Frustrating but hey I needed a new set!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Is there any proof that these provide any better stopping capabilities, as compared to stock? I mean real data, not the usual "oh, rotors with holes rule" and "brembo ftw!".
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Is there any proof that these provide any better stopping capabilities, as compared to stock? I mean real data, not the usual "oh, rotors with holes rule" and "brembo ftw!".
Other than for looks I really don't know why you'd need any more stopping power in these beasts. I've pushed the OEM brakes to their limits and have been happy with how they hold up. That BBK looks sexy nonetheless, congrats OP. I'll be in touch with you around spring to hear more of your thoughts on the Velos tune. Wheels look killer also, cant wait to see those mounted!

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

It's all personal preference all as we know. I just don't like the pedal feel as it is OEM. This car was also pre owned when I bought it. The owner was a woman in her 50-60s.

It just comes down to preference, cost and do you believe you will It will perform better and meet your needs and standards.

They wouldn't build something of design and cost if there wasn't an improvement. Just like Dinan or ESS, or AA, Renntech, Hennessy, etc. if there weren't gains and improvements to be made.

Just for all our personal thoughts I will do a calculated review of OEM performance and then these.

We will weigh the stock and Brembos, do a 60-0 and 100-0.

I have been modding cars for the better half of over 18 yrs. some vehicles I never had to swap brakes because they were that good. A few examples, RS4, TTRS, Aston Martin DB9, G55. Keep in mind all these cars use brembo. Aston Martin uses AP I believe.

I trust and have been using brembo aftermarket for about 14 years. I love their product, they are reliable and extremely durable. Most importantly I know what I am getting performance wise every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

@SouthshoreM3

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938789
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #19
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

these looks sweet, but i got to say, you are very picky for saying that the OEM brake pedal feel is not good enough, i'm not sure what else you are looking for as i felt that the OEM response is on par with my summer car which has a full AP setup on it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #20
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Thanks audir8fan. Again it's personal preference. Maybe if I changed the pads it could be a less costly compromise

But, this is my personal take and yes the stock brakes are good. No question about it. Much better than the OEM M3 brakes off the E9x platform.

This scenario is like saying to someone with a stock exhaust and changes to aftermarket. It's all relative and some prefer a different feel, look, sound, performance, etc.

For my driving pleasure, safety and performance this is what I believe is going to be best. Who knows they may suck. It's a calculated risk. I highly doubt they will and in the end I'm just an enthusiast like many and want to change things up.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #21
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Thanks audir8fan. Again it's personal preference. Maybe if I changed the pads it could be a less costly compromise

But, this is my personal take and yes the stock brakes are good. No question about it. Much better than the OEM M3 brakes off the E9x platform.

This scenario is like saying to someone with a stock exhaust and changes to aftermarket. It's all relative and some prefer a different feel, look, sound, performance, etc.

For my driving pleasure, safety and performance this is what I believe is going to be best. Who knows they may suck. It's a calculated risk. I highly doubt they will and in the end I'm just an enthusiast like many and want to change things up.
Perfectly understandable, plus they look amazing

Can't wait to see some installed pictures, make sure you get a scale and compare the weight of the OEM vs these beauties

If you don't track, the reduction in rotational weight will be the biggest gain, that's my biggest complaint with the stock setup, wish someone would make a 2 piece rotor to replace the OEM once
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Oh don't you worry I am definitely weighing the difference of these!! I got to admit the brembo are pretty hefty themselves. I'm guessing 8-12lbs per corner. If it were any more I would be seriously impressed. But it's unlikely.

Come on Omar and get those wheels made! We got a lot of people depending on you now for the results!!! Haha!!

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for all the questions, comments and feedback. Nice to see some activity on the X5M forums!!

I know there are more of us out there!!
Appreciate 0